In search of a tow vehicle. . .

Keith-n-Jill

• Moderators
1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

I don't think that you can get a large gas tank in it.

Obviously I was a bit confused on this gas tank issue.  It appears that Toyota has reduced the size of the tank from 38 gallons in the previous Tundras down to 32.2 gallons in the 2022.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

@Boudicca908 The first step of your search should be deciding on a half ton (1500, tundra) or a 3/4 ton (250/2500).  The weight difference between a diesel 3/4 and a half ton is probably more than the difference between a half ton and a Miata.  They drive/ride differently and with the larger your neighbors will come over and ask where’s the 30ft horse trailer to go with it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32.2 gallons should give our new Tundra a 740  mile range (no reserve) not towing, highway @ 23MPG. Will have to wait for Ollie towing mileage to see what the range will be, hoping for 540 mile range (no reserve) if we can get 17MPG towing, will see. Our fuel economy with the 5.7L Tundra towing Ollie without cruise control on and staying in the truck (slow) lane up & down mountains was 12MPG with top speed around 60MPH.

Here's standard fuel tank sizes for 2022 Tundras with the SR5 having optional 32.2 gallon tank.

Fuel Capacity 22.5 gal. (SR, SR5) 32.2 gal. Available on SR5, Standard on Limited, Platinum, 1794, TRD Pro

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

LE2

• Moderators

Bill - 

From my experience with the Ford 3.5 liter twin turbo and from THIS up to date review of actual MPG, you might be a bit optimistic on what gas mileage you will receive.  With my Ford I get right at 22mpg when doing 65 mph on the interstate not towing.  When towing my Ollie I get between 11 and 13 mpg averaging out in the low 12's.  

Certainly the Tundra in the sighted review is still new/not broken in, but, I don't think that the mpg will change more than 1 gallon at the most.  However, I really do hope that I'm wrong about this because I've got my eye on a 1794.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 12/3/2021 at 3:37 PM, topgun2 said:

But, I viewed a Youtube vid this morning

Thank you!

Oh my. Hmmm.

On 12/3/2021 at 3:37 PM, topgun2 said:

Tundra Review

at 1:52 -- "Comes in Twin Turbo V6, (about) 390HP or 440HP in some Upgraded models thanks to the addition of a hybrid system." Does that 'extra HP' via additional Hybrid System sound reassuring or dubious? 

TRD PRO and Toyota and Tundra 'everywhere' -- All that space devoted to displaying the brand name is a real turnoff for me. I'm sure they charge the buyer more money for the privilege of brandishing the brand name on every inch of the vehicle! Still, I'm trying to focus on the utilitarian aspects here.

at 8:30 -- "crawl control" and "Multi-terrain Select" -- The Crawl function and the Multi-Terrain Select adjustment seem interesting. I have a lot to learn. 

at 10:00 -- front recovery hooks. I seem to remember tow trucks fastening beneath a vehicle to recover from a ditch, snow or mud, but I haven't seen it done in a very long time. Are these really necessary? I have to imagine that there is a way to recover, maybe less convenient and maybe not as 'stylish' (I have to hope that I won't need them on a regular basis)? 

at 11:00 -- no more V8; instead Twin Turbo V6 ... most models 390HP and 480#ft torque. Option for iForceMAX ... 440HP and 580#ft torque. Can tow "about" 12,000#. He likes the throaty sound and the feel of the truck (I guess it feels powerful enough behind the wheel?) But then he says it's not as powerful as some competitors. He doesn't really explain how that works, but I'll be grilling the salesman when I go! All-in-all though -- if it's powerful enough and gets better mileage, that's a good thing -- right?

All-terrain tires -- Is that something to be desired, if boondocking part of the time? I've been in plenty of State and National Forest campgrounds that are not paved and can be slick, muddy and difficult in shoulder-season weather. 

Seems to me they let the marketing department get out of hand, with all the extra $$ spent on 'easter eggs' and branding, and they even want the buyer to watch an advertisement every time they start the vehicle? But they have a goofy 360 camera, and forgot about bed access. Hmmm. 

Regarding that spec sheet there are a few things I notice: 

On 12/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, rideandfly said:

Here's Toyota's Tundra trim, package, standard, options, and specification link for the 2022 Tundra. 

https://toyota-cms-media.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/2022_Toyota_Tundra_Product_Information_FINAL.pdf

High octane fuel recommended --  any comments? Is this typical for all the new HD trucks? Granted, diesel is more expensive fuel; I would expect better mileage though and much better engine longevity. 

TRD PRO payload: 1600

Power folding tow mirrors: don't seem to be an option on the TRD PRO? 

pg 13 Seats: note TRD PRO is 8-way adjustment, Limited & 1794 have 10-way adjustment.

rear under-seat storage: all models EXCEPT the TRD PRO.

All of this and yet I have to remind myself: Beggars can't be Choosers. 

I hope to visit the Toyota dealer in the next couple of days. I'll add more info if it comes. 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

3 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

A couple online reviews, one being a SR5 and a limited, show a low 1400 lb payload.  A little more would be nice…

ChrisMI, on that spec sheet cited above, the payload is listed for each (minding the fact that this is NOT with the individual build-out of options, etc).

Maximum Towing Capacity (LBS.) 4x2 Double Cab    4x2 CrewMax    4x4 Double Cab          4x4 CrewMax

Payload                                              1,860 – 1,940         1,640 – 1,830    1,810 – 1,885               1,575 - 1,820 TRD PRO: 1,600

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

18 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

2022 Tundra fuel requirements 87 or higher, I’m attending a weekend class and don’t have time right now to show the document  

Yes, I was actually quoting the spec sheet that you linked -- But what I'm wondering is if this is a standard or typical recommendation/requirement for all heavy duty gas engines. 

1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

High octane fuel recommended --  any comments? Is this typical for all the new HD trucks? Granted, diesel is more expensive fuel; I would expect better mileage though and much better engine longevity. 

This is not the 2500, because EPA doesn't test those, but just to compare one diesel to comparable gas engines: 

Compare Side-by-Side.pdf

Here is a recent review of a new 2022 Tundra Limited 4x4. I was a really a bit surprised at the low mpg’s but will take into account the break in period. I also noted that Andre the driver of this Tundra was not happy with the driver seat bottom comfort @5:42 into the review in the Limited level Tundra model. Also the 1400# payload is just a bit underwhelming if you consider gear and passengers. 

It will be interesting to see more owner reviews on the new Tundra as they roll out of the dealerships.

He starts with that  right there! 😂

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

11 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Yes, I was actually quoting the spec sheet that you linked -- But what I'm wondering is if this is a standard or typical recommendation/requirement for all heavy duty gas engines. 

The 2022 Ford F-250 gas 7.3L engine uses 87 octane & 6.2L engine uses 87/E85 gasoline.

Found the above in the specification section of the following link:

https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f250-xlt/

Hope that's helpful.

• Like 1

LE2

On 11/21/2021 at 11:23 PM, Dunnet said:

We have just placed our order for an Elite II and have turned our attention to a new tow vehicle.  We are considering a Toyota Tundra or a Ford F150.  We have a question about the Ford and choice of engine, is the V6 eco boost a good choice rather than the larger V8.  I've had a look on the forum, have previous  threads looked at these vehicles?

Been offline for a bit.  I tow my LE II with 2021 F150 4WD with max tow package and 3.5EB.  Have towed over 6,000 miles since pick up and truck tows like a dream.  Very happy with how the truck handles trailer and EB engine handles weight with no issues.  One reason I often use cruise control is to keep speed down.  The 3.5EB actually tows more than V8 and I have average 12.5 mpg towing.

Good luck with search.  

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

2 hours ago, TexasGuy said:

Been offline for a bit.  I tow my LE II with 2021 F150 4WD with max tow package and 3.5EB.  Have towed over 6,000 miles since pick up and truck tows like a dream.  Very happy with how the truck handles trailer and EB engine handles weight with no issues.  One reason I often use cruise control is to keep speed down.  The 3.5EB actually tows more than V8 and I have average 12.5 mpg towing.

Good luck with search.  

My experience with our 2021 F150 3.5 EB / FX4 / max tow truck mirrors what TexasGuy is experiencing.  We have maybe 10K on the F150 while towing our Oliver.  Could not be happier with the truck ... a great match for the Legacy II.

• Like 1

Here is another Tundra YouTube MPG report. Long distance which IMO is a lot more representative than the short loops everyone likes to use these days.  Looks like a good amount of wind but flat, unloaded, and relatively slow speeds (70 ish). I personally think @topgun2will be very close with his mileage estimates and how close they’ll be to the Ford engine. He did report a 1400 lb payload which seems to be the norm on a crewmax. 
…Had to laugh at his concern over the weather, it was like he was heading straight into a cat 5 hurricane.

• Thanks 1

Toyota dealer contacted me yesterday letting me know our 2022 Tundra's ETA to the dealership changed from 12/24 to 12/28. Looks like actually accepting the new Tundra 3.5LTT SR5 2WD could be the new year, will see.

Can't wait to tow Ollie on some January camping trips after meeting Tundra operator's manual recommended break-in. Initially will be testing in SE states and not going out west until later in the year. Still optimistic about MPG while towing since I don't use cruise control while towing, get in the slow truck lane up & down mountains, keep speeds up to 60MPH during testing, and allow the rig to slow slightly up grades and slightly faster down grades. Always tow Ollie with empty tanks except for full 6 gallon hot water heater. 

While towing Ollie home during 2016 with a 2013 4.0L V6 2WD Frontier from Missouri to North Carolina got over 15MPG towing as stated above. Got about 12MPG towing Ollie with the 5.7L Tundra 4X4. Even tested the 5.7L Tundra towing our ready to camp 4950 pound LE2 Ollie with non ethanol 87 fuel in NC/TN getting 13MPG. 

Looking forward to Ollie's new TV and will post reports including actual CAT scale results, on our experience with the 2022 3.5L 2WD Tundra towing Ollie. :classic_smile:

• Like 2

LE2

Bill, do you mind sharing your reason for buying a 2WD Tundra? That seem as if it will be a big liability out West. I’ve lost count of the number of times 4WD has saved my bacon.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WS

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

Towed Ollie out west with our 4WD Tundra without ever needing to use 4WD once. With the Tundra and our other 2WD TVs put us well beyond 100,000 miles towing trailers in eastern & western US without the need of 4WD.

We don't take Ollie off pavement like some of the folks here except for campgrounds with good roads and watch weather forecast closely when travelling, like I do when flying. We also camp with Ollie in lower elevations campgrounds out west. We have seen snow in August in Montana at high elevations while the camper was at a lower elevation campground.

During the winter we camp with Ollie during good weather in the SE.

Took this shot when towing Ollie to Hohenwald during January in western NC on I40 during good weather after a snow storm. The roads were great and camping was good in TN without snow on the ground.

IMG_1915-XL.jpg

• Like 1

LE2

5 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Looking forward to Ollie's new TV and will post reports including actual CAT scale results, on our experience with the 2022 3.5L 2WD Tundra towing Ollie.

Looking forward to your reports! I'm very curious about the new Tundra's fuel consumption. 

3 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Looking forward to your reports! I'm very curious about the new Tundra's fuel consumption. 

First winter trips will be camping at SC & GA state parks in the non-mountain regions.  Eventually will camp on the NC Blue Ridge Parkway this spring and venture out west later this year. Will post MPG with actual fuel used instead of computer MPG.

• Like 1

LE2

On 11/4/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jimmy said:

Very interesting read....I have a Colorado that  has pulled for three years  a NO BO 16.8 No Boundries fine.But my leg ll will be ready On august 1, 2022.After dealing with Chevy on a Order for a 2022  2500 HD... three months have gone by still NO truck?

They tell me December25,2021 The order has been excepted ? Now they will not call or confirm any  delivery date?

Looks like I will be Pulling the Leg ll with my Colorado.... No mountain trip next year. Have to stay no the flat land of Nebraska.

Hope I can make it home from the Oliver factory? The math for the trailer says ok.... But I do wonder about the hitch weight.

I do not want to kill my Colorado. Anyone else pulling with a Colorado?

Thanks JIM

Hey JIM

I've been towing an Elite II with a gas 2016 Chevy Colorado.  Have done so for about a year and have laid down about 6,000 miles.  Towed over all the mountain areas (such as they are) on the eastern seaboard.  I use an Anderson hitch and have had no problems.  Have averaged around 13mpg as long as I don't add my kayaks to the roof of the TV.  I never have had to fully stomp the gas to the floor and after tweaking the Anderson set up to match their installation guidelines, replacing my tires with ones rated to do the job and setting the air pressure to a more appropriate level then the amount suggested on the door jam sticker,  have had zero issues.

That said, I have a brandy new Ford eco boost 3.6L on it's way.  My reasoning is simple:  I feel there is not enough safety margin for emergency high speed maneuvers or enough power to handle going into the higher mountains found out west.  I won't bore you with the tests I've run while on the road but am confidant in this move.  The Ford has an 11,000lb tow capacity (can be up to 12.5k depending on other configurations) and plenty of payload capacity for myself, a passenger, couple of composite kayaks, roof rack system, TV bed full with camping gear and my dog. As this is my daily driver too, I am hoping it will be the best combination of decent mileage and more then appropriate capacity.

• Like 2

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

9 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

First winter trips will be camping at SC & GA state parks in the non-mountain regions.  Eventually will camp on the NC Blue Ridge Parkway this spring and venture out west later this year. Will post MPG with actual fuel used instead of computer MPG.

The video I linked did say the computer was exactly the same as the calculated which was refreshing. I can burn 85 gallons of LL and my totalizer is less than a 1/4 gallon off, no reason why cars can’t be more accurate. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jimmy said:

After dealing with Chevy on a Order for a 2022  2500 HD... three months have gone by still NO truck?

They tell me December25,2021 The order has been excepted ? Now they will not call or confirm any  delivery date?

Somehow I missed Jimmy's post last month.... I sure hope this doesn't become my experience! 

Jimmy, if you don't mind, please tell me what you ordered? I wasn't offered the opportunity to 'order' really -- I just latched onto the first available truck in the system that met my specs. And it's the ONLY truck so far (after several months looking) that has not already been sold! That includes all "scheduled for fabrication" trucks. It's just crazy. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE on my Tow Vehicle:

Nutshell version:

In November, I placed money on a Chevy truck that was scheduled for assembly in December. It was built, with scheduled delivery on January 4th. No delivery yet. The dealership is frustrated but has no answers beyond what they can show me online: a vehicle with a VIN number, reportedly 'complete' and 'waiting for dispatch' somewhere near the Flint Assembly Plant. There's a "VINview" map program that supposedly shows you where the vehicle is; some days the map works, some days it doesn't but it's never showed the vehicle outside of the general area of Flint. 

Trains and trucks are both utilized for delivery here, from there. I'm in the waiting game. My biggest question now is what I will do if my truck isn't delivered before my Ollie is ready for pickup. I'm trying not to stress myself about this, but ideas are welcome!