Bathroom Faucet slow water flow

Trainman

Wow, I have an update on the blocked Dura faucet shower head. I removed the anode from the water heater to flush it out. I run the water heater of propane since we mostly dry camp so I have not checked the anode in a while. When I took it out all this junk came out (even though it hasn't been used) and the anode was down to the wire. (see pics) I was really surprised - so this junk may be the source of my clogged shower head water. I am replacing the shower head so I will see if that fixes it. So now I have to jump on a water heater thread. 

My questions are: 1. If I am using just propane why did this anode perish?  2. Could I remove the anode and just have a drain plug and continue to use the propane? 3. How do I stop the rust forming around the drain plug seen on the pic? 

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2809 (2).jpg

• Moderators

The anode is intentionally made of a metal that erodes more easily than your tank material, to keep the tank whole. Your anode did its intended job. 

It doesn't matter whether you run the water heater on gas or electric. Dissimilar metals will create a chemical reaction called electrolysis that will eat away at metals. Better that it eats the anode than your tank.

I suspect your hard water has more to do with the anode's rapid demise than anything else. Draining your water heater tank before storage will help it last longer,  as well. And, as a bonus, you'll see how much your anode has eroded, and replace it as necessary. ($20 for an anode is much cheaper than replacing a water heater. Don't buy the super cheap ones. They sometimes aren't made to erode as quickly as they should.)

You'll likely want to start using that filter to fill your tank.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.