Cleaning the oliver

DJM

I Just power washed the Oliver after a month long trip. Took longer than I expected but looks good. Two questions. 1 Do those who wax their Oliver wax the roof. Seems like I should since that is where the heaviest dirt is.  But then that is a headache to work up there. 

2. How do you remove the  black streaks that develop from water running across the insulation for the lights? 

DJM 

• Like 2

Oliver Elite II hull # 151 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DJM said:

I Just power washed the Oliver after a month long trip. Took longer than I expected but looks good. Two questions. 1 Do those who wax their Oliver wax the roof. Seems like I should since that is where the heaviest dirt is.  But then that is a headache to work up there. 

2. How do you remove the  black streaks that develop from water running across the insulation for the lights? 

DJM 

Yes, I wash and wax the roof.

When I was experiencing the black streaks waxing removed them if I recall correctly.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Overland,

Is that Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure. ? D. 

Yes.  Sealing gaskets isn't what it's made for, but someone here tried it a few years back and found that it does the trick.  I sealed mine I think early 2018 and haven't had to redo it yet.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
18 hours ago, 1Lessworker said:

You can use Star Brite Instant Black Streak Remover Boat Cleaner, If any lingering marks are left the wax will remove them.

You can also use Duragloss black streak remover (or several other brands).

Oliver Service now stocks and sells Duragloss products and are big fans of this black streak remover.  They even use it for cleaning up that big shiny floor in the new Sales area.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2019 Elite II Hull 435, 2022 Toyota Tundra

• Moderators

@wolfdds, that's interesting  news on spray 9. Thanks. I've never used it.

Somehow,  I've missed it in Practical Sailor reports. It's always done well. Cruising forums report marine and household formulas to be similar/same. Practical Sailor warns against use on glass and lcd, so I'd be very careful to not get it on surfaces other than the fiberglass, and make sure to rinse well, as you do. 

(Marine formula is as typical, 2 to 3 x the price... household formula is under $5 at my local Lowe's)

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/marine-maintenance-multi-purpose-cleaners-test

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

At the end of the season, I'll use a "Clay bar" with a lubricant (Maguires makes a great kit), then wax with "Rejex".

The "clay bar" will remove a lot of grime you don't notice, but you feel; slide your fingers over the fiberglass.

Using the "clay bar" produces a smooth surface to be waxed over. I highly recommend this procedure for the roof section. The roof takes the biggest beating and accumulates the most road/camping dirt. At least up there you're working horizontally. Take your time, it doesn't take that long. When you're finished you really get that "warm fuzzy feeling" knowing you're done! Sure makes a significant difference with the gelcoat over time.

Try the "clay bar". It truly does not take that much extra effort and produces a superior surface to cover with wax.

Best, E

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, permit bob said:

Try the "clay bar". It truly does not take that much extra effort and produces a superior surface to cover with wax.

I’ve used the clay bar on a couple of cars.  In fact, I was just thinking about using it on my Audi, after the last wax it didn’t have that smooth feel when I ran my hand over the paint.  The Oliver is a lot more surface area but it does a great job of removing surface issues.  Good idea!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I always clay bar if tar remover won’t get it baby butt smooth, it looks fantastic afterwards, but boy is it slippery! As the old cop used to say on Hill Street Blues “ Be careful out there!”

John Davies 

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Re the black streaks, I tried a black streak remover but found using a "cleaner wax" (I used Collinate #920) required much less elbow grease. Even though the cleaner wax made Ollie look good, I followed up with a good paste wax (#885) to really boost her shine & protection. 

• Like 3
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• 1 year later...

Old thread pulled forward with another suggestion.

“Scrubbing Bubbles” by SC Johnson is made for cleaning grimy fiberglass tubs and showers. It was formerly known as Dow Bathroom Cleaner before the consumer brands division was spun off.

Our Oliver has been outside continuously for around 16 weeks and had built up a considerable amount of black grunge on the roof and streaks down the sides. Needless to say just washing with soap and water does nothing to remove the black stains.

Digging through my tote full of cleaners the Scrubbing bubbles caught my eye and my little light bulb instantly lit up. “Bathroom cleaner, fiberglass shower stalls for the past 30 years, fiberglass campers, Oliver makes both!” It had to be worth a try. 

Needless to say it worked fabulously and fast. Even cleaned the weather tripping around the inside of the window frames and the impossible to clean caulking all over the camper like new. Now our Ollie-Haus looks better than the day we picked her up. 

This doesn’t reduce the need for regular waxing, but it makes the cleaning part of maintenance much less labor intensive. one can did the whole camper. 
image.thumb.jpeg.bcc517c95fde227edf4da8fe29b71e80.jpeg

• Like 6

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

40 minutes ago, Ollie-Haus said:

Old thread pulled forward with another suggestion.

“Scrubbing Bubbles” by SC Johnson is made for cleaning grimy fiberglass tubs and showers. It was formerly known as Dow Bathroom Cleaner before the consumer brands division was spun off.

Our Oliver has been outside continuously for around 16 weeks and had built up a considerable amount of black grunge on the roof and streaks down the sides. Needless to say just washing with soap and water does nothing to remove the black stains.

Digging through my tote full of cleaners the Scrubbing bubbles caught my eye and my little light bulb instantly lit up. “Bathroom cleaner, fiberglass shower stalls for the past 30 years, fiberglass campers, Oliver makes both!” It had to be worth a try. 

Needless to say it worked fabulously and fast. Even cleaned the weather tripping around the inside of the window frames and the impossible to clean caulking all over the camper like new. Now our Ollie-Haus looks better than the day we picked her up. 

This doesn’t reduce the need for regular waxing, but it makes the cleaning part of maintenance much less labor intensive. one can did the whole camper. 

A great find Chris! 

Thanks for posting!

David

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ollie-Haus said:

But, wait - there's more!

It also "kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria" .

I wonder what it might do to ceramic coatings and even regular wax.  As Ollie-Haus mentions -concerning regular waxing is certainly still necessary but does this take what wax there might be still on the Ollie off?

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I wonder what it might do to ceramic coatings and even regular wax.  As Ollie-Haus mentions -concerning regular waxing is certainly still necessary but does this take what wax there might be still on the Ollie off?

Bill

Very likely does. But so does everything else that's effective at removing the very tough black stains. There really isn't any way to get away from regular waxing. As a side comment we've used this on fiberglass showers for years and they look quite nice after decades. Of course they don't get exposed to UV rays, but they don't get waxed regularly either. 

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

I have great results using Roll Off cleaner on black streaks. It also works well for removing grime and dust from the caulking at joints and around windows, returning it to a bright white

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-ROQT-Amazing-Roll-Off-Quarts/dp/B00144CXY2/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=3I1F6RTMQUKTO&keywords=rolloff+spray&qid=1693018634&sprefix=rolloff%2Caps%2C1355&sr=8-4

• Like 5

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators
17 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Bill

When Practical Sailor tested dozens of heavy duty marine multipurpose cleaners, they also tested pH, and wax removal. Virtually every one of the popular (and often pricey) streak and stain removers also removed wax from the test panel. 

Just important to re-wax after cleaning, as noted by OllieHaus.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/marine-maintenance-multi-purpose-cleaners-test

• Like 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:19 AM, DJM said:

DJM 

303 Black Streak Remover. Used 303 products for ten years and they do the job.

• Like 5

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

I use 3M light polish with wax to remove the black streaks. Doesn't do as good a job protecting as their straight wax does but protects good enough to get me to the next whole Ollie waxing. I will try the scrubbing bubbles on the window weather stripping, though..  The only way I've been able to remove mold from them so far is to soak overnight in a bleach/water solution.

• Like 3

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.