2022 Toyota Tundra - Sept 19th official video release

Patriot

• Moderators

Crap!  I was hoping for an 80 inch screen.😉

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see one in person in a couple of days, but, from the vids, I'm still not a big fan of the nose.

Bill

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see one in person in a couple of days, but, from the vids, I'm still not a big fan of the nose.

I’m not either, but like other big design changes we’ll get used to it!  Mike

• Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I have seen a lot of negative comments about the front end of the new Tunda.  It seems a lot like comments on the Fiberglass RV  forums about how sterile the inside of an Oliver looks to some people.

The good news is that I will not have to look at it as I'm driving a late model GM, Ford, Dodge, Nissan or Toyota truck in the future.

Mossey

a Toyota owner for the last 20 years

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Well, that is disturbing, great power, but a butt ugly front….

Anybody considering this truck should wait a couple of years to see how this new powertrains will hold up. Does the Hybrid have the same tow capabilities as the standard engine? (I have been looking at the Acura MDX Hybrid, which has a tow rating of zero, seriously, that is a pretty large handicap in exchange for a 45% better city EPA rating….. )

OTH my idea of a dream pickup has solid axles front and back, so maybe nobody should pay attention to me about the Tundra.

John Davies

Spokane WA.

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Yep, we will be checking the new Tundra out as soon as Asheville Toyota (Fred Anderson) has one to look at. Payload increase up to 1940 pounds, depending on how unit is equipped. Hybrid and standard 3.5LTT versions available. . As far as the front end/ grill goes, I'm fine with it.

Looking forward to driving one, hopefully towing Ollie with one! :classic_smile:

• Like 2

LE2

I’m sure it will be solid truck but personally it just looks ugly.   The outgoing Tundra was much better looking truck. 

My .02 on 1/2 ton trucks

Best looking exterior - GMC Denali 

Best looking interior- RAM 

Best tech and drive trains. -Ford 

Lucky for consumers there is a a lot of competition in that market. 

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

I tend to be with you all. Big grills seem to be trendy right now but this one just seems to envelop the entire front. I do like that they have added things like coil or air bag suspension to try and match the Ram's ride quality. Will be interesting to see how well the trailer assist technology really works. 

5 hours ago, Zodd said:

Will be interesting to see how well the trailer assist technology really works. 

Yes it will, hopefully better than their first go around with electric brake controllers… It’ll be fun watching as things unfold, being longtime Tundra owners and fans.. We will be looking for a new TV in 2022 or 23, and it seems like there are some pretty good choices out there for 1/2 ton trucks. It’s the cargo capacity that is going to be a big factor this time around, and 1940 lbs would be great… but I suspect that applies to the 2x4 models, not the 4x4….probably not the crew cab either. I do look forward to giving one a test drive… maybe giving that new fangled back up system a try in a crowded parking lot full of brand spanking new trucks🙂

We will be looking hard at 3/4 ton trucks this time around… 

• Like 3

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

@Mcbcan you share why you are dissatisfied with the Tundra electronic brake controller?  I have a 2020 and I am very pleased with the brake controller.  I am curious to know  what issues you may have had with it.

There are a number of features on the 2022 model that I would be happy to have, provided they have been vetted and all work well.  However, I just can't get past the new body styling.  I just don't care for it.  I don't like the huge touch screen either.  

I do appreciate the comfort and safety features of modern trucks, but I often miss the days of old when trucks were just trucks.  I wouldn't want to tow with an old truck, but sometimes I really miss my 69 Chevy short-bed.  No frills metal dash, spartan gauges, bench seats, oak plank bed, chains on the tailgate... oh, I can almost smell it (sigh).

• Like 4

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

2 hours ago, LongStride said:

@Mcbcan you share why you are dissatisfied with the Tundra electronic brake controller?  I have a 2020 and I am very pleased with the brake controller.  I am curious to know  what issues you may have had with it.

There are a number of features on the 2022 model that I would be happy to have, provided they have been vetted and all work well.  However, I just can't get past the new body styling.  I just don't care for it.  I don't like the huge touch screen either.  

I do appreciate the comfort and safety features of modern trucks, but I often miss the days of old when trucks were just trucks.  I wouldn't want to tow with an old truck, but sometimes I really miss my 69 Chevy short-bed.  No frills metal dash, spartan gauges, bench seats, oak plank bed, chains on the tailgate... oh, I can almost smell it (sigh).

Sure.. I had a 2011 Tundra which I put an after market brake controller in, as at the time Tundras didn’t come with them. The 2016 Tundra which I currently drive came with the stock version, I believe it was the first or second year Tundras were equipped with them. The problem with it was it was very inconsistent, sometimes it worked, most times not. It was a common, well documented issue. I was able to get mine fixed a couple of years ago, by a service guy at a Toyota place that owned a Tundra and knew what the issue was. Not sure what he did but It’s worked fine since. 

• Like 2

@Mcb, on behalf of my brother-in-law (now retired) I apologize for the problems that you experienced.  He was the chief electrical engineer for Toyota (yes really).  I am glad that the service tech got it working for you.  Apparently they got the bugs worked out by 2020.  

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

47 minutes ago, LongStride said:

@Mcb, on behalf of my brother-in-law (now retired) I apologize for the problems that you experienced.  He was the chief electrical engineer for Toyota (yes really).  I am glad that the service tech got it working for you.  Apparently they got the bugs worked out by 2020.  

Geez, no need for an apology.. it’s been a great truck, about 150,000 miles and still going..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LongStride said:

In a couple of years they might look better too.

Styling changes don't come readily to Toyota products. I, as most, drive them in spite of their Toyota-signature styling. The more important attraction is the long road ahead with no CELs visible. Rather than concentrating on appearance changes, my hope would be for a payload that is more insync with the tow rating.

• Like 3

I will wait and see how this completely new Tundra platform performs in its first year before commenting on performance, handling, mpgs, towing. Having owned 3 previous Tundras I will say the reliability of all three trucks I owned was excellent and second to none. Toyota is out front in terms of reliability and dependability at least in my owner experience. Toyota also provided excellent service when any of my previous Tundras needed it. If I were to ever consider another half ton truck, the Tundra would absolutely be given a first look.
I have to have reliability, my Tundras have always been very dependable and very reliable for the long haul.

Cheers!

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Other than the overly large grill (like every other new truck and car these days), I like the styling of the Tundra. I enjoy truck research and window shopping, so I was excited to see the new Tundra in terms of it heating up the 1/2 ton market even more. Lots of cool trucks out there. Of course tow capacity, payload, reliability, and safety are top considerations for me when the time comes to upgrade to a new tow vehicle capable of towing a future Oliver! 😉 

• Like 2

Laura and Dean May | 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe | 2009 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD

• Moderators
14 hours ago, DeanCHS1980 said:

Of course tow capacity, payload, reliability, and safety are top considerations for me when the time comes to upgrade to a new tow vehicle capable of towing a future Oliver! 😉 

Dean - 

Do I read a hint of a move from Casita to Oliver in this sentence?  A new Tundra with a new Oliver sure would look nice.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"