2022 Toyota Tundra - Sept 19th official video release

Patriot

• Moderators

Interesting video.  I think his use of the term “perfect” needs to be put into context.  He is saying that the ANDON method results in vehicles coming off the line with no known defects, that problems are solved before the vehicle is finished so that problems aren’t passed to the dealer/customer.  My two Toyota trucks back that up.  I didn’t find any issues with either of them as I drove them off the lot and in the initial stages of ownership.  As the miles piled on of course there were things that needed to be adjusted/fixed/etc.  Mike

• Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Believe the engineer's title of his video could have been how they strive for perfection. We have owned 3 Toyota pickups, with # 4 on the way later this week.  With all the new vehicles we have purchased, Toyota been the most durable, not perfect, but the most dependable, so far. 

I used to be involved with industrial machine manufacturing, rebuild, and answered warranty claims. Honest evaluation of warranties makes us look closely at our work and take constructive corrective actions for the improvement of our products, sometimes easier said than done. I like how Toyota has a system to show where there is an issue and takes immediate action.

We like pickups, have to admit after working on a couple Hyundai vehicles (preventative maintenance)  really like how they are built and their warranty, too.  Currently looking at their new Santa Cruz pickup for a daily driver for Debbie and vehicle for trips when not camping, will see.

• Like 4

LE2

Pretty much any car or truck made these days can easily go 20 years and 250k.  This along with minimal to zero maintenance for the first 75k makes for an enjoyable ownership experience.  I do believe the perceived quality difference, for certain companies, provides a higher residual value if the vehicle is sold after 4-10 years. 

I’m eyeing the limited crewmax 4x4  or the sr5 with the TRD sport package.  However, it’s hard to justify is the extra 20% over a similar Silverado with my available discounts. 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:47 PM, rideandfly said:

Used to call our last Tundra Stan, guess that will work for the new Tundra, too.

Hey, that's what we named our Tundra and Oliver. Stan and Ollie got hitched in Hohenwald and crossed the Big Divide together to travel the wide open West.

Ollie and Stan Near Sundance Mountain.jpeg

• Like 5

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

20 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I think that journalists and people in general should be very cautious about using that term

I think Nobody, or Everybody should Always be cautious in using absolutes:  Perfect, Always, & Never are my favorites.... just a few of them.  

However in my case, I never am always correct, never Totally Wrong or Totally Right..., and my words are always perfect.  Except this time for sure.

🙂

GJ

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

The guys at TFL ran the new Tundra up the Ike twice.  Overall they rated the ride and cab noise as excellent and also has excellent MPG on the Ike run.  I would add a very high probability of this truck also having the excellent Toyota reliability factor.

My down sides are that the new Tundra appears to have much less leg room in the rear seats of the Crew Cab, a hump in the rear seat floor.  A biggie for me is it does not have a transmission temp gauge. This first year's version has some weird programming (Such as tow haul and tow + modes that turn off every time you shut down the engine) that surely will be fixed in shot order.  (NOTE:  Just as Ford has with not turning on the transmission temp feature and killing the Auto Stop.   Both of which can be easily fixed with a good scanner).  

IMHO, I think Toyota has significantly closed the technology gap on the Ford F-150 platform.   Will be interesting to see the TFL head to head comparisons between the big three sometime in January 2022.   And then down the road how TFL rates the reliability of this new model.  Personally, I would wait a year for the glitches to be identified and fixed.  At that point I would have a hard time choosing between the top three half tons!

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

image.thumb.png.9ae155effd2c31ad97309555f7dc5831.png

Went to our local dealership to take a look at the new Tundra yesterday.  I am sorry to say that I was very disappointed.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the massive grille.  It looks even bigger in real life.  The grill openings are so large that a small bird could pass through and slam right into your radiator.  I can't recall ever hitting a bird, but I have picked up a few stone throws from semi trucks over the years.  Not much protection there for anything smaller than a ping pong ball.  Mayflies, cicadas, bees, beetles and bugs will likely plaster the cooling fins on the radiator (look at the front of your Ollie after a long summer trip).  Just seems to me that styling beat out function and practicality there.  I have never been a fan of that behavior in mechanical design.

The battery is directly below Andre's hand on the curb side in the photo shown above.  It is partially below the hood cowling and packed in there tight.  I would not even attempt to change it myself for fear of smashing something adjacent to it during removal and reinstall.  You can't pick it straight up because of the cowling and the hinged side of the hood.  Awkward at best.  There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth for some.  It just seems like they did not put much thought into the location.  

The wheel wells have rather flimsy (IMHO) plastic spray shields fore and aft of the tires.  Other than that, the wheel wells are wide open and there is no option for a liner offered.  If you drive it in muddy or snowy/slushy conditions you will not like it.  By the way, the model that I looked at had mismatched fasteners on the spray shields.  They were distributed randomly and some were black oxide and others were silver.

When I peered into the rear street side wheel well my tour ended abruptly.  Standing upright just as I would if I were walking by the truck in passing, I saw the silver canister of a catalytic converter that is in such plain sight it literally screams "steal me".  It is so exposed that if you had a long blade on a sawzall you might be able to cut it off just by reaching into the wheel well.  Then all you have to do is poke your head under the rear bumper and cut the hanger off the tail pipe.  You would not even need to crawl under the truck.  Even an unskilled thief could have that off and be down the road with it before you could even slip on your glasses (insert shotgun as applicable) and look out the window to see what the noise was.  Those of you that have read my latest posts are aware of my sensitivity to catalytic converter theft.  Even so, it is still a really vulnerable and really stupid place to put the converter.  Unless they have been sleeping under a rock for the past few years, the engineers knew that when they released the new model.  

Funny that reviews from folks like TFL Truck (who I really like) don't mention these things.

It is big.  It's brawny.  It's expensive.  It's packed with the latest and greatest electronic gadgetry and a high tech drive train.  That is what the american market is hungry for.  Now they are truly in the ring with Detroit.  Did they alienate the fanbase who depended on them to provide good dependable trucks with solid design and bulletproof engines, all at a reasonable price?   Time will tell.

For those of you who really like the new design, I say "good for you" and I sincerely hope that you are happy with your decision should you purchase one.  For me, the redesign fell short.  I am disappointed and sad.  I was really looking forward to it.

Cheers!  I wish all of you the best for the coming year and beyond.

• Like 4

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

One of the reasons we're going to purchase the 2022 Tundra is increased payload capacity compared to our previous 2016 5.7L Tundra. Like how the new Tundra is built with lighter materials in some areas increasing payload like Ford did with the F150. 

Some folks are waiting for the new Hybrid Tundra, too.

As far as the battery location goes, it will not present an issue if I need to replace it.

Looks like the double cab rear seat is larger on the 2nd generation compared to the 3rd generation, that's why we're buying the CrewMax larger cab version

We're buying a SR5 "work truck" model, without many of the available electronic features with 32 gallon fuel tank. but understand why many buyers may want new technology features. Buying this truck as an Ollie TV and daily driver work truck.

After required break in mileage, looking forward to towing with the new rear suspension coil springs, V6TT with maximum torque achieved at low RPMs for a gas engine  and to see towing fuel economy improvements.

The new Tundra may not be for everyone, but looking forward to seeing how it performs as Ollie's new TV! 

• Like 4

LE2

@rideandfly I totally agree with you that the increased payload and a 32 gallon fuel tank are big pluses.  There are many useful and exciting improvements on the new model and I think that it will probably perform wonderfully.  It sounds like it is going to be a great towing machine and there is no reason to doubt Toyota's commitment to quality and dependability.

I just can't get past a few of the things that I feel are designed poorly.  Kind of like building a fine watch and then putting a plastic crystal on it.  Things like that bother me, yet others will find them to be totally inconsequential.  We are all different.

Enjoy your new truck.  I am excited for you!

• Like 2

Mike and Yasuko

I am sure that this will be a big success for Toyota. The hybrid drivetrain is the same as the new Land Cruiser, so they must have confidence in its durability. OTH, I recall the first time I walked around and sat in a brand new FJ Cruiser. After a few minutes, I told my wife, “This is the first time I have ever seen a vehicle where there is not a SINGLE feature that I like! Not one!” I haven’t seen a new Tundra yet, I hope that it is not another FJ. 😬 “Bold” designs do not usually wear well in the long term.

Though Toyota has a recent tendancy for in your face agressive style, it could have looked like this.

8867CA48-A37E-4C27-946C-37C2F7112B92.jpeg.0031fdb989c67f8b6f238e910eae4f64.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, rideandfly said:

One of the reasons we're going to purchase the 2022 Tundra is increased payload capacity compared to our previous 2016 5.7L Tundra. Like how the new Tundra is built with lighter materials in some areas increasing payload like Ford did with the F150. 

Some folks are waiting for the new Hybrid Tundra, too.

As far as the battery location goes, it will not present an issue if I need to replace it.

Looks like the double cab rear seat is larger on the 2nd generation compared to the 3rd generation, that's why we're buying the CrewMax larger cab version

We're buying a SR5 "work truck" model, without many of the available electronic features with 32 gallon fuel tank. but understand why many buyers may want new technology features. Buying this truck as an Ollie TV and daily driver work truck.

After required break in mileage, looking forward to towing with the new rear suspension coil springs, V6TT with maximum torque achieved at low RPMs for a gas engine  and to see towing fuel economy improvements.

The new Tundra may not be for everyone, but looking forward to seeing how it performs as Ollie's new TV! 

Bill,

I believe your new 2022 Tundra Crew Max will be a fine tow vehicle and we are looking forward to seeing yours!

The expert key board “nay sayers” and “joy stealers” for some reason seem to take a level of pleasure in raining on the parade of how some folks choose to spend their money. Quite frankly some of the needless negative vibes on this forum continues to really get old. This could reflect why some owners just “ghost” the forum and don’t engage in posting. 

A few thoughts - If you don’t have something decent, kind, helpful and really positive to add in comments maybe just pause and please don’t feel compelled to respond, maybe use a little restraint…or better yet just keep scrolling! 
We are all in this together!

Happy Camping! 
-Patriot 

• Thanks 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 hours ago, Patriot said:

Bill,

I believe your new 2022 Tundra Crew Max will be a fine tow vehicle and we are looking forward to seeing yours!

The expert key board “nay sayers” and “joy stealers” for some reason seem to take a level of pleasure in raining on the parade of how some folks choose to spend their money. Quite frankly some of the needless negative vibes on this forum continues to really get old. This could reflect why some owners just “ghost” the forum and don’t engage in posting. 

A few thoughts - If you don’t have something decent, kind, helpful and really positive to add in comments maybe just pause and please don’t feel compelled to respond, maybe use a little restraint…or better yet just keep scrolling! 
We are all in this together!

Happy Camping! 
-Patriot 

David,

Totally agree, looking forward to the new and improved Tundra! 

Bill

• Thanks 1

LE2

22 hours ago, rideandfly said:

The dealer moved our Tundra ETA from 1/3 to 1/10, will see! :classic_smile:

Very interested to see what your sticker shows for payload.  I’ve been surprised by the large variance reported by reviewers/owners.

18 hours ago, LongStride said:

When I peered into the rear street side wheel well my tour ended abruptly.  Standing upright just as I would if I were walking by the truck in passing, I saw the silver canister of a catalytic converter that is in such plain sight it literally screams "steal me".

That location seems too far away from the engine. Normally I see the cats closer to the headers vs tailpipe. Are you sure it was the catalytic converter?

• Like 1

@ChrisMI it is my understanding that there are multiple converters, at least two.  There is one before and one after the muffler.  The one before the muffler is up by the tranny on the curb side.  This is according to the salesman who had been schooled on the new model. 

Mike and Yasuko

FWIW

If you don't agree with someone else's opinion I don't think it is fair to portray them as a keyboard expert "naysayer" or as a "joy stealer".  It is also not appropriate to accuse someone of raining on the parade of others just because their viewpoint differs from yours.  

I thought that my observations would be useful to others or I would not have posted them.  I recently retired from a career working in mechanical design (not automotive).  That does not make me an expert, nor do I claim to be.  However, it does give me pause when I see things that I consider to be poor design.

Conflict and inflammatory remarks have no place on this forum and I am disappointed that my comments rattled someone enough to get nasty about it.  From now on I believe that I will just keep my comments to myself.  

• Like 3

Mike and Yasuko

• Moderators

I think we can all share observations,  and experiences,  without getting wigged out.

Let's calm down, folks, and look at the real world. (And forum guidelines.)

These new trucks are a really, really big investment,  and everyone has the right to post observations.  That doesn't make any poster a "naysayer." It makes the poster perhaps someone less infatuated with what he sees than you, in your opinion. 

Though we have many Toyota fans here, I  am personally not very "brand loyal," so I  tend to look at the broad scope, and everyone's comments. We (hopefully) won't need a new tow for a number of years. I see real world observations as a help in making future decisions. I weigh all of them, positive and negative. 

Sherry

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

image.jpeg.1680ba6ea27b0126e5e487f543037e56.jpeg                image.jpeg.5a35c9bf0b887bcbab0b9669f8a534b2.jpeg                      

As ChrisMI pointed out, cat converters are normally close to the engine.  They need to get hot to work.  This is the first one that I have ever seen so near the  tailpipe (photo at left).  I copied the pics from the Toyota USA website.

This really bothered me.  I began to think that perhaps I was misled by the trained salesman who told me that it was a converter.  However, it looks just like the canister near the bottom center of the photo on the right, which looks like a normal location for a CC. They both look like a catalytic converter without a heat shield over it.  The component closest to the engine with what appears to have a heat shield looks like what I would expect to see for a converter.  

Could this be a resonator to defeat the whine of the twin turbo?  Hmmmm.  If it is not a catalytic converter, I stand corrected regarding my post concerning the same.  If it is not a CC, I would still be concerned that thieves would mistake it for one.  

• Like 2

Mike and Yasuko

2 hours ago, LongStride said:

I began to think that perhaps I was misled by the trained salesman who told me that it was a converter. 

Well, I am pretty sure that it is just a resonator, did you notice an O2 sensor or cable sticking out the side? If there isn’t a sensor, I bet even the dumbest thief would look further forward. And your salesman may be trained, but did he actually remember and understand those details? Most salesmen are much less technically informed than the average auto enthusiast buyer, who often has spent days or weeks studying every review and video, and asking questions on forums like this one.

And unfortunately some salesmen are complete clueless newbies. They are there to sell product. I would not believe their word about payload, cats, or any other feature, unless I had already seen it published somewhere else.

BTW, LongStride, I appreciate your constructive comments here.

Happy New Year, everybody.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Indeed - I'd bet that the converter is actually that rectangle shaped near the front of the transmission in the right photo and that the other two similarly shaped (cone at each end) parts are simply resonators. 

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I never thought to look for an O2 sensor.  I suppose that I would be a very poor converter thief 😆!

If the converter is the one with the obvious heat shield up near the engine and the other two canisters are resonators, well then kudos to Toyota for making the converter harder to steal.

• Like 2

Mike and Yasuko

• Moderators

I don't know where you are in Minnesota,  but all my relatives up there have been reporting some pretty miserable cold weather the past few days. 

Hope the next three weeks go quickly for you. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.