PROPANE ALARM

Renegade

The propane alarm on our 2018 Legacy II sounded today out of the blue. When I pushed the reset button it only worked for a couple of minutes. I used a hairdryer on the cold setting on both sides of the alarm to no avail thinking it may be dust. I also shut off both propane bottles and ran the cooktop until the the flame burned itself out. When I leave the fiberglass dinette seat off the alarm does not sound. After I replace the seat the alarm will sound after a couple of minutes. Has anyone had an experience like this with the alarm? There does not seem to be any abnormal heat in the bilge. It seems to me it must either be a leak or a very sensitive alarm sensor. The trailer has not moved for 3-4 months. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

• Moderators

You could "try" compressed air. The hair dryer was a good idea, but likely not all that strong. Open windows, etc.

At 3 or 4 years, it shouldn't be dead with age, but all things are possible.

The top off the seat, and results,  are a bit baffling to me. 

Ideas? Others?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Since it’s a propane and CO detector, I don’t think heat would be a factor.  It is indeed a strange circumstance.  Have you checked the date code on the unit?  I know mine started acting erratically before the trailer was 5 years old, but I do think that is the advertised length of service.  

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderator+

My guess is it’s toast. Based on the year of your trailer it could have easily been manufactured 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Expected sensor life is actually seven years “powered on”, so perhaps a bit longer if you routinely disconnect the trailer batteries in the off season. But it still could be Tango Uniform after five years, check the actual manufacture date, there was another recent thread about this. Plus certain solvents and chemicals can damage the gas sensor, like excessive dog farts. I would just buy a new one and toss the unreliable one. 

I added a detector switch right next to it just for your situation….. there is an inline fuse under the street side bed, but mine was hard to find and not labeled. Well, it was labelled, “1 amp”, which is not helpful when you are trying to figure out how to kill power to that pesky alarm at 2:00 AM, with that bed occupied by a disgruntled spouse with her pillow held tight over her ears….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Ours started sounding in the middle of the night a couple of years ago.  No propane was on.  I got aggravated and just cut the wires so we could sleep.  Called Oliver service and the sent me a new one.  We were sleeping with plenty of ventilation, so I wasn’t worried about no alarm.  They do wear out.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

My 2016 Elite ll is on its third sensor.  I tried to get Dometic to warranty the last dead one but after six sets of forms they had me fill out I just gave up (my bad in that these guys should not be allowed to get away with this sort of stuff but I really did have other things to do).

Either prepare yourself for a long warranty battle or take JD's advice or place a small fan in front of it that constantly blows fresh air into it or take the risk (not what I'd do) and disconnect it.  Note - that reset button only silences the alarm for a few minutes.  

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I can't believe that right after I read your post, the next day I get a call from the manager of the place where I store my Oliver 2018 Elite II that there is some kind of alarm going off in my trailer.  When I went by to take a look, sure enough it was the propane/carbon monoxide sensor.  The date on the back of the sensor was January 25, 2015.  This post probably saved me a bunch of time.  I just took the old one out and ordered a new one.  Thanks! 

• Like 5

Franklin, TN
2018 Elite II #315
Tow Vehicle: 2020 Ram 1500

ALARCOCTGAILINIAKSKYMEMAMIMSMONHNJNMNYNCOHOKPASCTNTXVTVAWIsm.jpg

• Moderators
On 9/22/2021 at 8:29 AM, topgun2 said:

My 2016 Elite ll is on its third sensor.  I tried to get Dometic to warranty the last dead one but after six sets of forms they had me fill out I just gave up (my bad in that these guys should not be allowed to get away with this sort of stuff but I really did have other things to do).

I get a bit concerned when I read comments like these, as Dometic just keeps on acquiring major brands. Eight companies so far this year, and many times with cash on hand. This month, it's Igloo. Earlier this year, Valterra/Gopower Solar and Zamp Solar, along with five other companies around the globe...

I hope their acquired companies keep up their previous levels of customer service.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

57 minutes ago, Trailblazers said:

I can't believe that right after I read your post, the next day I get a call from the manager of the place where I store my Oliver 2018 Elite II that there is some kind of alarm going off in my trailer. 

That is great customer service, and a little unexpected IMHO; take him a some doughnuts the next time you go there. A positive review on Yelp would also be appreciated, I am sure….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Earlier this summer mine acted up a couple of times.  THANK YOU FOR THE ABOVE POSTS!I

That said, four detectors are failing long before the seven year standard... why reward the MFG for their POS detectors by buying more?  

Does anyone have a suggestion for a longer life more reliable CO/Propane detector that will fit in the same space?  Or one we can remove and toss into the trash can at 2:00 AM?

Thanks

JD:  I LOVED "when you are trying to figure out how to kill power to that pesky alarm at 2:00 AM, with that bed occupied by a disgruntled spouse with her pillow held tight over her ears…."   I would wager that more than a few of us have experienced your same "joy".  LOL

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a longer life more reliable CO/Propane detector that will fit in the same space? 

I looked but found no joy. 

Certainly there are less expensive ones out there too, but, they don't fit into that space.  I was so mad that I seriously considered doing a fiberglass repair of the existing hole, then cutting  a new hole for a new detector and finishing with some sort of trim to make it all look pretty.  Perhaps that is what I would have done if I could store my Ollie at my home.  But, with all the schlepping back and forth I finally decided to just cave in and get the direct replacement.

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We have a 2021 Elite II and our propane alarm malfunctioned on our 3 outing this summer, it has a different sensor than the Dometic  but after 3 hard resets it has not sounded off. The remnants of Fred had dumped 3.5" of rain where we camped so maybe the humidity was the problem.

• Like 1

Hull 833

2019 F250 6.2L

Same thing here. A couple of random times this summer the LP alarm in our 2018 LE has gone off with no apparent provocation. Atwood P/N 36636, mfg date Jun 2018, so only a bit over 3 yrs old. Has never alarmed (yet) when actually camping, only when the trailer is parked in the driveway with the propane turned off at the tanks, all DC loads off except for the small number of tiny phantom loads that aren't easily disabled (LEDs on USB outlets, panel display on Furrion radio, battery monitor display, solar charge controller, CO/LP alarm), and shorepower off/disconnected.

Manufacturer's quality control is disappointing, but sadly no surprise in the modern era. Might have to order a new one for next season and hope for the best 😞

• Like 1

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2023-10-16OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8e9964c26c7927a0077806565b9dcfc2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thank you, thank you everyone!   We haven't even turned the propane on yet this trip (it's only day two) and all of a sudden this evening our LP alarm started going off.   We could NOT figure out what it could be and Chad suggested I check here. 

On 9/22/2021 at 12:56 AM, John E Davies said:

….. there is an inline fuse under the street side bed, but mine was hard to find and not labeled. Well, it was labelled, “1 amp”

John, you are a life saver,  because Chad might have followed in Mike's footsteps and cut the wires if we hadn't found that fuse.   The wiring diagram in the user manual makes it none too clear. 

For reference,  we have a 2019 LE II, and the date of manufacture on our detector was also 2015.  It is a Friday night,  so now we need to figure out how to proceed. Might try to find a battery or plug in one for the time being, as we have full hookups this trip. 

Can't tell you how much we appreciate you ALL for keeping us sane and reassuring us it probably is just malfunctioning. 

- Kathryn and Chad,  currently east of Orlando,  FL

• Like 3

LEII Hull #517    |   Lincoln Navigator Reserve with Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package and owner installed OEM rear "splash guards" (aka mud flaps)  - "The Beast"

visited-united-states-map.jpg