Check all battery connections, even unseen

Wayfinder

While conducting preventative maintenance, I found a couple potential unseen issues with the batteries. 

First, there was a loose connection on the primary negative terminal where wires leave the batteries into the trailer. Could have added resistance. 

Next, I was troubling as to why I could not connect to my Bluetooth battery monitor from Australia (POS) - came with the used trailer. Come to find out there was unseen-corrosion inside the cable connectors on the battery monitor device itself  as you see in this photo.  

I'm hoping to change out with a victron Bluetooth SmartShunt. Seems like they are difficult to find on Amazon this week. 

"Victron Smartshunt 1000amp/50mv Bluetooth Smart Battery Shunt"

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/vicshu050210050-victron-smartshunt-1000amp50mv-bluetooth-smart.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwy7CKBhBMEiwA0Eb7amH5p-goWq5Zt4LI753IetrA3bdX3UP2nU4Y37hxTqzVQAvbBbS3yBoCVegQAvD_BwE

When I'm on the PC next, I will search the forums to see who has experience with these Victrons.  I am trying to figure out where I'm going to put this and figure out where this yellow wire goes from the current setup. 

Does anyone know where the yellow wire might go? This is a 2016 LE-II, not sure if the wire is stock or not. Seems like it is. PXL_20210923_154842321.thumb.jpg.717d99a58a4f467b0ab99ba4bbdb054b.jpg

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

The Victron shunts are great, that particular model, maybe not. I have read that in the past it has major Bluetooth connectivity issues.. But that may have been resolved. The one with remote display (BVM-712 Smart) doesn’t have any problems. Mine works from 75 feet away through four sheet rocked walls. Be sure to add the optional supply power/ temp sensor cable. It replaces the included single wire power cable.

B1A0CB56-5E6C-4739-BD5B-586DC2544116.thumb.jpeg.15948db557f226740313284d0511c1f3.jpeg

The yellow wire is the factory ground, it normally goes straight to the negative terminal nearby. The shunt goes in between, to measure current flow (both the discharge and the charge current). What brand is that shunt? the Aussie gear is generally top notch (Redarc in particular.)  

That factory wiring is a mess, ain’t it? Move everything inside to common bus bars or posts, it will be easy because you have no fat inverter cables. Put the smart shunt inside next to your new buses. I check my cables AND straps for security every week when traveling, it takes no tools; unlocking the door, opening,  feeling for looseness, closing and relocking takes about twenty seconds.

6F7D0D30-53DD-41EF-A646-A8CD8293036D.thumb.jpeg.212c9cd5f91ffbefe807c00c4e27e913.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5377-how-to-battery-feed-through-post-installation-reduce-the-clutter-in-the-battery-box-lithium-batteries-only/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, Wayfinder said:

Does anyone know where the yellow wire might go? This is a 2016 LE-II, not sure if the wire is stock or not. Seems like it is.

That is not a stock setup, but I suspect that yellow wire goes directly to the main grounding buss bar.

I definitely agree with John, move everything inside to common buss bars. Get rid of all that clutter.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I will have to think about that.  I'm still honing my skills with electricity.  Rather do it with an experienced person.  Maybe if I upgrade batteries and other components.

Great upgrade thread JD.

• Like 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

What brand is that shunt? the Aussie gear is generally top notch (Redarc in particular.)

John Davies

JD,

This is the Brand of shunt I have.  The app is poorly rated. It's a BMPRO BatteryCheck.  Very basic information.

https://teambmpro.com/wp-content/uploads/140000_M-BatteryCheck.pdf

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

Also, I'm missing a battery strap.  I'm poked around Amazon, but was unsure of what might work.  Any ideas?  I might go to an automotive store and check, but they will likely be too short for two batteries.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

"Victron Smartshunt 1000amp/50mv Bluetooth Smart Battery Shunt"

Whichever Victron battery monitor you choose will be fine, but I think you would be the first Oliver owner to install a 1000 Amp shunt if you buy the one in your provided link.  I believe most people here have used the 500 Amp shunts which run about $130.

6 hours ago, John E Davies said:

The Victron shunts are great, that particular model, maybe not. I have read that in the past it has major Bluetooth connectivity issues..

Based on my experience with Victron devices equipped with Bluetooth radios, the connectivity depends on where you place it.  The Bluetooth radio with the BMV-712 is in the display, so your install with the display in the upper cabinet area has much better  connectivity than mine which is in the lower hull.  I doubt your charge control Bluetooth coverage is as robust as your 712.  I experimented with my 712 before placing it in the lower hull and quickly realized I would be giving up at least 50% of the Bluetooth coverage if I placed below decks, but I planned on using the app and not the display from the start.  I don’t think a Smart Shunt installation is viable any place but the lower hull.  And the Bluetooth radio for the Smart Shunt is mounted to the shunt itself, so it’s inevitable the coverage is going to have a smaller footprint than a 712 installation with the display mounted high in the Oliver.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

All great points Mossey.  Thanks.  I'll look further into the 500 Amp shunt, with the bluetooth add-on.

The smart part of "Smart Shunt” is Bluetooth.  All Victron Smart Shunt's come with Bluetooth capabilities.  It’s the Victron BMV's that may or may not support Bluetooth.

Mossey

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I installed the 500amp version of the Victron Shunt and they are everywhere for about $130.00.  They are effectively 300amp units if you read the fine print.  The Bluetooth is not a problem on this version.  I actually connected the other terminal to monitor my parallel string of 6 volt AGM batteries so that I always know how each pair are performing.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"