Road Tar Removal Products?

Wayfinder

What's the best and safest way to tackle this road tar?  It too came with the Oliver.  Fun times ahead.  I cleaned most off the rims with light acetone, but not so sure about the fiberglass.

Thanks, Chris

road-tar.thumb.jpg.a27f62a3d4d78628ebb38936053835e6.jpg

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

3 M Adhesive Cleaner is voodoo magic, and it works for sap and other nasties. A quart goes a really long way, but in looking at your pic, buy two quarts…. A local auto paint supplier will sell it to you for a lot less, I pay about $15. Body shops use it for prepping prior to spraying. Old tee shirts or 100% cotton rags work great, they must left OUTSIDE a few days until all the stink is gone,  then tossed…. It has some pretty agressive solvents, use it outdoors or set up a strong fan, wear rubber gloves too.

Mudflaps behind your Ollie’s wheels will stop that from happening, and will keep stones from damaging those water fittings, and bouncing off the rear bumper onto the hull and tail lights, but they won’t help the front any, you need extra protection all over…..

I hope you got a good deal on your Ollie, I would not even consider selling a vehicle with tar all over the body, it shows a distinct lack of care by the previous owner.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks JD.  I found with the rims, plastic scrappers really helped to loosen up the big chunks.  A must-have for the tool bag of a fiber glass toy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091TPHSTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's like I'm at dry-dock and I'm prepping for another long voyage, which, I guess is true.

Chris

• Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

@John E Davies  That 3M cleaner is the best.  It did not take much elbow grease, time, nor cleaner to complete the rear area, rims, and fenders.  I doubt I even used 1/4 of the can. I spends less than an hour.  Amazing stuff, but must use it outside, in a breeze, with a fan.  LOL

The marks on the clean pics are pits from road debris.  I can see black Rhino-liner in the future for the lower portion of the hull.  

Q: Has anyone protected the lower hull with Rhino-Liner like material?  Would like to see pics of that.

#110 is coming back to life.  I'm thinking of these next few weeks as Wayfinder is in dry-dock for repairs and clean up, which basically, it is.  Great weather here in GA this week.

Here are some before and after shots.  Thanks a bunch, again!  The starboard side not nearly as bad. 

port-side-before1.jpg

port-side-under-before.jpg

port-side-clean1.jpg

port-side-clean-2.jpg

Rim-shot-clean.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

Q: Has anyone protected the lower hull with Rhino-Liner like material?  Would like to see pics of that.

There have been a number of Ollies given a "treatment" of "stuff" other than gel-coat.  Bugeyedriver here on the Forum is one that comes to mind and he fully described the process - try a search of his posts.  There is another that did the black truck bed coating on a fair amount of the front.  I initially thought that it would look bad but when I saw it in person it actually had a reasonable look to it.  Unfortunately I can't put my finger on a pic of it at the moment.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I think Ollie #110 is happy its been adopted by Wayfinder... and probably hoping its found its forever home!   Great job on that clean up!  I'll remember that 3M cleaner!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

Wayfinder, I had XPEL 10 mil paint protection installed on the quarter panel locations you show above. It really helps protect those very vulnerable areas. I also had it applied to the front and left corners and the “dog house” or propane storage area. 
Nice job cleaning up those areas! 

Patriot

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Hull #110 is not too far from ours.  I’m a bit surprised at the condition it was in when sold, and I am very impressed with the clean up job!  You’ve got it looking great, nice job!!

Pete, @bugeyedriver will probably read this and can post a picture of his front end treatment.  If not, I’ll drive over to his house and take a pic!  He’s a neighbor.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS