Towing hook-ups - braided cables versus chains?

Wayfinder

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

Does anyone see a real reason why I might change from braided cables to chains for the hitch area?

I think there has been some question about their capacity rating, so some have upgraded to greater capacity with either larger cables or chains.  Each safety cable or chain should be of greater capacity than the weight of the trailer being towed and not the combined total capacity of both cables or chains.

I don’t believe Oliver would provide safety cables that were not rated for at least 7000 lbs, but I believe the Texas motto is "bigger is better" or maybe it’s "everything is bigger in Texas", so I do think it a worthwhile upgrade.  And I am from Florida, so what do I know.

Mossey

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

One of the retaining ears broke on my curly cables, I ordered a new set from Amazon; Jason in Service told me he could not supply me an OEM type, since they no longer install them. He did say that he personally prefers the cables….😀

217FC46E-D02A-4693-ABB4-AA95B01B2D5C.thumb.jpeg.7738341aa4334009e324f97bdd46d092.jpeg

These are the correct rating and general dimensions, but the hook opening is slightly smaller. They are a little fussy to get clipped into the two holes, on my LC200 hitch, which is perfect IMHO. The old ones had larger hooks, and the one with the busted retainer could fall off. These might not work at all on your TV.

Tie Down Engineering 36” safety cables

I am keeping the one serviceable  old cable as an emergency spare.

Normally I like chains, but on my Ollie I prefer the cables, they stay neatly up and out of the way above the Stone Stomper fabric . Chains would dangle down and interfere more.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

On all of the RV's I owned prior to getting my Ollie, I had chains.  Hopefully I never have to go back to the "chain side".

The cables are up and out of the way both while parked (unhitched) and while underway.  They are cleaner too.  What's not to like?

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 9/24/2021 at 2:58 AM, topgun2 said:

On all of the RV's I owned prior to getting my Ollie, I had chains.  Hopefully I never have to go back to the "chain side".

The cables are up and out of the way both while parked (unhitched) and while underway.  They are cleaner too.  What's not to like?

Bill

I find the cables a PITA to attach to my F-150 due to their tension and interference with the Anderson system.  Frankly, I would swap the OEM Ollie curly cables for some DOT rated yellow chains in a flash.  However the PITA they are, is not yet very high on the improvements list.

But, before changing hooks, I would fix the latch hook.  It's a lot less expensive.  

image.png.e37eb4787fe298878ddd33779d9bca40.png

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

But, before changing hooks, I would fix the latch hook.  It's a lot less expensive.  

Sure do like the way you think!🤑

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Those cables that come with the trailer today pretty much suck, it was the first thing I purchased after our trip back home from picking up out new trailer. They do have a purpose I found out, I wrapped them around a tree that fell over in the lake at out home and pulled the tree out with the tractor.  I'm pretty sure these are the ones I purchased from Amazon, good price with free shipping.  https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-80316-Safety-Chain/dp/B0007LVJM0/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3QJISBIKHW7P7&dchild=1&keywords=trailer+safety+chains+with+hooks&qid=1632952494&sprefix=trailer+safety+chains%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-11

Note, you will need two 3/8" threaded chain links to attach the chains to the trailer if I remember correctly. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 1 year later...

QUESTION:  I've noticed that OTT uses a heavier set of curly cables going from 2017 to 2018.  Does anyone know why the factory moved from a lighter cable to a heavier one?  What are the differences in the stress ratings between the two?  Just curious - and would like to know if the smaller diameter cables are rated at 7k# each like these:

Screenshot2023-09-03at08_48_11.thumb.png.61841f6d71f7a3588d8ac5280d2d4581.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at08_48_38.thumb.png.a6f8b8a1881e4b0833e2f035c0951266.png

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Just now, rideandfly said:

Our 2015 LE2 came from Oliver with chains, never had any issues with them!

We've always had chains and never a problem - the smaller gauge curly cues on our Ollie are a bit awkward to connect, and I can imagine how the stiffer/larger cables on newer OTTs would be a bit of a drag to connect.

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

23 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

We've always had chains and never a problem - the smaller gauge curly cues on our Ollie are a bit awkward to connect, and I can imagine how the stiffer/larger cables on newer OTTs would be a bit of a drag to connect.

Yep, it's quick & easy hook up & disconnect on Ollie with chains, plan to keep them, too.

Edit: Here's a video showing another 2015 Ollie hitch & chains in the first part of the video. Our 2015 frame is different from current Ollie frames, too.

• Thanks 1

2015 LE2

• Moderators

A couple of years ago there was/is a thread related to this subject and the whole subject of "strength" (or lack there of) of the various cables versus chains.  Both sides of the topic were covered with the "naysayers" claiming that the cables were not strong and/or were difficult to use and the "fan boys" claiming that one or the other were easier to use while being strong enough for the practical world.  I don't believe that a consensus was ever reached.

Bill 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

HERE is some neat chain/cable covering that helps keep both the tow and Andersen chain looking good.

Installation is simple using black zip ties at each end.

Bill

p.s. Credit for the chain covering goes to Foy.

p.p.s.  Nice anti rattle hitch vise too.  See it HERE.  Mossemi put me onto this one.

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.9c6d5e479774e71916f9be1b83850796.png

On 9/3/2023 at 12:03 PM, Townesw said:

Chains. And custom ball mount. And anti-rattle Hitch Vise

Now that is a sweet solution!

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg