On 9/24/2021 at 9:27 AM, John Dorrer said:

We recently ordered a Legacy II. We will be traveling to Tennessee in a couple weeks to finalize options. Coming from the truck camping side, we have been used to compressor fridges 12-vol/110). There seemed to be more problems with the 3-way than the compressor fridges. Everyone has their preferences. We will have Lithium batteries and the 340W solar. Some people will drive with the propane on. Others say it is dangerous. I know that driving with 12-volt will drain acid and AGM batteries pretty quickly, but not sure about lithium. I would love input on how all of you run the fridge when driving. Since Oliver only sells the 3-way, we will need to get used to this. We also have a National Luna 50L top loading fridge that we have in our truck. I usually plug the top loader onto shore power or into our generator during the day and then Goal Zero 400 Lithium power pack at night. I'm thinking I can plug it into the trailer in camp and will experiment with that. Thanks for your advice and feedback.

Hi John D.

We picked up our trailer last month and when we travelled back from Tennessee to Washington State, we had the fridge on 12 volts all the time.  (we have the lithium pro option- 390ah) .  The batteries at the end of the travel days were always just under 90% according to the Lithionics Battery app.  

We are new, but we love our Oliver!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:48 PM, Fritz said:

We use the 12V option on the refrigerator.  Sometimes.  It depends....

I'm reluctant to use propane for the refrigerator while driving, not because of usage, but because of safety.  In the event of a severe accident, a ruptured gas line with an open tank valve could make a bad situation worse. 

The refrigerator uses about 15 amps when running on 12V.  This is about what the panels produce on a sunny summer day.  On a cloudy day, or a sunny late fall day, the solar will not keep up with the fridge; you'll be drawing from the batteries to run the fridge.  If the batteries are topped off, and there is sun in the forecast, then no problem (they shouldn't be maintained at 100% anyway).  If the batteries are low, and the forecast is for clouds, then this may not be a good option.

I’m in agreement with Fritz,  I am relatively new to this and have been using our 3-way Norcold fridge in 12V mode  when in transit…..sometimes….depends on the situation.  We have hull 797, with standard 340W Zamp solar package.   I replaced the new, standard lead-acid deep cycle batteries with 2 x 100AH BattleBorn lithium.  It has the Zamp controller, no Inverter.  The TV charge wire is disconnected inside Oliver, per Oliver protocol for lithium packages.    As an example of my experimenting to date, our last trip we drove a few hundred miles per day for last 2 days, and  dry camped each night in a different location.   No generator.  I ran the fridge on 12V both days for about 6 hours each sunny day when driving, including gas and rest stops, then switched to propane when parked for the night.  Ran the Maxxair fan at low or medium full-time, except when driving.   Used all the 12v lights whenever needed, used awning LED and courtesy lights at  night, and water pump for dishwashing and showers.  When I arrived home, my Victron BMV monitor showed SOC at 80%.   So in those sunny conditions,  I think I can run like this daily for many days with no concerns, but not always.   If I expect overcast skies, and perhaps no AC plug in to re-charge for several days, I’ll run on propane.   I understand most Trailers/RV owners run propane most of the time, which is simple, trouble-free, and most efficient.   I do it too sometimes, but I have safety concerns in the event of an accident.   That rear propane quick connect is just behind the rear bumper, and I have nearly been rear-ended several times in stop & go interstate traffic, which is one of the most common type of crashes.   I understand the stats show that propane related fires are rare, but insurance & liability concerns have me a bit paranoid.  I studied the fine print on my insurance policy, can’t find a reference to this issue. If someone has some legal or common sense insight on these liability issues, please let me know.   As I mentioned, I’m relatively new to this and appreciate the wisdom from this forum.

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

I don't know how reliable they are but some folks add an emergency shutoff device to their setup which is supposed to stop the flow of propane if the flow gets too high.

Tanks have some sort of emergency shutoff valve internally nowadays too but I don't know the details of how they work other than that I need to turn my gas grill on tank first then burners or else this valve will engage and the flow while not dropping to zero will be VERY low. If this engages, I need to shut of the tank and wait something like thirty seconds and then turn things back on in the correct order (an order that avoids a sudden rush of gas when turning the grill on).

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

6 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

I don't know how reliable they are but some folks add an emergency shutoff device to their setup which is supposed to stop the flow of propane if the flow gets too high.

Agreed, I bought two of those before I took delivery of my Elite 2, based on a video I watched onTechnoRV.com.   They seem to work fine.  You just have to remember to give the active tank a few pumps after you turn the valve on.  

https://www.technorv.com/gasstop

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim_Oker said:

Pumps? What do you mean?

You have to tap the gauge to “reset” it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdyTvlivsI

I like the concept, since I travel with the fridge running on propane, but how well does a pair of them fit under the doghouse? They are pretty long. Can somebody with an Ollie post a picture please? Thanks.

Can a moderator move this thread to the correct forum, it really doesn’t belong here.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

Pumps? What do you mean?

The instructions advise to “push down” on the gauge 4 or 5 times to prime the gas system, ie build up pressure and allow gas to flow.  The gauge is mounted on a small piston pump. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

I like the concept, since I travel with the fridge running on propane, but how well does a pair of them fit under the doghouse? They are pretty long. Can somebody with an Ollie post a picture please? Thanks.

No problem, there’s plenty of room under the doghouse cover for one on each tank.  I’ll take pics of my gauges on tanks first chance I get.  This video gives a better explanation of how it works.  https://youtu.be/_g38JponlN4

• Like 3

Thank you all for this information.  We pick up our new Oliver Legacy II on January 04, 2022.  We purchased the Lithium Pro package with 390 AH.

I am absolutely the new guy that has no idea about power consumption, charging, solar, care and maintenance of batteries etc.  Seems a bit overwhelming right now.

I'll continue to read/digest info in the forum.  Suggestions on where I sould be starting?  My pull vehicle is 2018 Expedition 4x4 Max.  I'm hoping that is reasonable.

Jim

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike D. said:

B56C78D2-30A8-4C02-813D-4899DE58C125.jpeg

Thanks for the pics, a word of caution, your high pressure hoses are being stressed at both ends, keep an eye on them for leaks or cracks. If you do end up with issues, buy a longer set of two, so you can get more gentle bends, or alternatively install brass 90 degree elbows at the regulator facing forward. That’s what I did when I replaced my four year old leaking ones.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:54 PM, John E Davies said:

Thanks for the pics, a word of caution, your high pressure hoses are being stressed at both ends, keep an eye on them for leaks or cracks. If you do end up with issues, buy a longer set of two, so you can get more gentle bends, or alternatively install brass 90 degree elbows at the regulator facing forward. That’s what I did when I replaced my four year old leaking ones.

Thank you for suggestions, I’ll use them.

• Moderators

If anyone is interested in the "GasStop" product - automatically shuts off propane in the event of a large amount escaping, TechnoRV has a sale on them until the end of October.

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

If anyone is interested in the "GasStop" product - automatically shuts off propane in the event of a large amount escaping, TechnoRV has a sale on them until the end of October.

Bill 

I am not seeing it, the price is $79.99, the same as Amazon Prime, but they want $4.36 shipping. What was the price you saw? Thanks.

https://www.technorv.com/gasstop-propane-shut-off-acme-style-gsusa2/

They have a neat 90 degree hose if you want improved angles, to remove stress on the connections. Two of them would bring this mod up to about $200….

417792C1-54B0-4502-817B-5AE6CE8CE255.thumb.jpeg.6055b8e87f72b5de0b550b1371680559.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

I went back and researched previous posts.   I think I’m going to use JD’s method and add  90 degree els with my almost new hoses to get a nice single bend like that one shown on the right tank.  

image.thumb.jpeg.02f3fb4ed76ae7896c520ba78d30ffb9.jpeg

Edited by Mike D.
Changed my mind
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 11:42 AM, Jim Y said:

Thank you all for this information.  We pick up our new Oliver Legacy II on January 04, 2022.  We purchased the Lithium Pro package with 390 AH.

I am absolutely the new guy that has no idea about power consumption, charging, solar, care and maintenance of batteries etc.  Seems a bit overwhelming right now.

I'll continue to read/digest info in the forum.  Suggestions on where I sould be starting?  My pull vehicle is 2018 Expedition 4x4 Max.  I'm hoping that is reasonable.

Jim

Hi Jim,  I have a 2017 Expedition 4x4 EL with tow package so assume it's similar to yours.   I think they changed the name from EL to Max for the longer wheelbase.   I am a newbie without an Oliver on order yet.   We hope to order soon, but haven't yet. 

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 11:03 AM, Mike D. said:

I went back and researched previous posts.   I think I’m going to use JD’s method and add  90 degree els with my almost new hoses to get a nice single bend like that one shown on the right tank.  

image.thumb.jpeg.02f3fb4ed76ae7896c520ba78d30ffb9.jpeg

Any idea where we can find an elbow fitting like the one on the right, that is appropriate for a propane tank?  I bought the Gas Stop valves and the 90 degree hoses, but  all I really need to use the Gas Stop in our situation is the 90 degree elbow at the regulator. The 90 degree hoses are too long and actually make a bad situation (bends) worse  I took the pipe thread fitting off today to bring it to my local hardware store, and they had an elbow that would work, but the fitting I removed from the Ollie has what appears to be a nylon check valve inside -- presumably to prevent loss of propane in the lines after the regulator when you change tanks.  I would have thought that the low pressure regulator would have it's own check valve inside, negating the need for one in the elbow, but I am admittedly not a propane expert.

Thougts?  (I don't know who JD is - original poster of this picture - or I would tag them here!)

Thanks,

MaryBeth

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

2 hours ago, VBistro said:

Any idea where we can find an elbow fitting like the one on the right, that is appropriate for a propane tank?  

That is called a street elbow or “street el” - I can’t recall the thread size, I think it is 3/8” pipe thread. I suggest that you unscrew the two fittings from one port of the regulator (there is a straight reducer and a special check valve fitting, that makes the switchover function work). Take them down to Ace Hardware and tell them you want to replace the straight one with a 90 degree one. Buy two, they need to be machined BRASS (not steel) and you also need some thread sealant intended for gas lines. Don’t use teflon thread tape, it might get into the check valve and maybe cause problems. Here is a generic picture of a street el.

B2B8A118-EF22-4C7A-B3E9-5A54BAF2D71B.thumb.jpeg.501e419ebcbc3aee14a682be16da0467.jpeg

This closeup shows the “soft set” sealant, it sets up overnight.

C6314445-230B-47E3-8D65-5762D228DEB3.jpeg.60ccf2affa9817f93139eae6bcd1df4d.jpeg

As with any pipe thread repair, you need to get out all the old hardened cruddy sealant, You can carefully use a sharp pick, or if you have a tap and die set, carefully run a tap into the holes, don’t get particles in the regulator or check valve.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

That is called a street elbow or “street el” - I can’t recall the thread size, I think it is 3/8” pipe thread. I suggest that you unscrew the two fittings from one port of the regulator (there is a straight reducer and a special check valve fitting, that makes the switchover function work). Take them down to Ace Hardware and tell them you want to replace the straight one with a 90 degree one. Buy two, they need to be machined BRASS (not steel) and you also need some thread sealant intended for gas lines. Don’t use teflon thread tape, it might get into the check valve and maybe cause problems. Here is a generic picture of a street el.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

Thank you!  The fitting you show is the fitting we found at our local Ace today, but I was unsure whether it would be sufficient because the original fitting off of the Ollie has a plastic insert in it (see pic).  From a brief google search, it appears that this might be a "safety feature" in the event of a downstream leak.  Since I am installing these downstream of the Gas Stop valves, is it safe to conclude that the GS valves will serve the same function?  Presumably better.  

The remaining question I have is whether or not this plastic insert serves any other purpose, like  preventing gas in the line downstream of the regulator from flowing out of the system when you disconnect from the tank to fill. 

Thoughts on whether I can just make a wholesale swap of my straight, stock fitting, with the street elbow.  Hoping the answer is yes...I'll just hop on down to McGukins (our local ACE) and get all put back together tomorrow if so.

mb 

brass fitting.jpg

EDIT:  you can't see it in this picture, but there is a second piece of material deeper inside the fitting, just beyond the internal threads you see in the diagram.

Edited by VBistro
additional description

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

VBistro, you are holding a one way check valve. There is the spring that you can see in the cavity, plus a little piston down inside that you can't see. ). Do NOT discard them, just insert them back into the new 90 degree elbows.

John Davies

Spokane WA

12 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

VBistro, you are holding a one way check valve. There is the spring that you can see in the cavity, plus a little piston down inside that you can't see. ). Do NOT discard them, just insert them back into the new 90 degree elbows.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Got it....and sorry that I didn't read your first response thoroughly.  (I'l blame intermittent fasting....)

Thoughts on how to get the check valve out of the straight fitting?  Push it through from the female side?  I don't want to damage it inadvertently. 

Thank you!

mb

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg