Favorite grocery stores, on the road

SeaDawg

• Moderators

In remote areas, there are few choices.  In Alaska, if I can find a 3 bears,  in a smaller town, I'm really happy.

At home, in Florida,  most of my grocery dollars go to publix and aldi.

In North Carolina,  I love ingles, and aldi.

On the way up, we often stop at the Lidl in Spartanburg. 

Not a huge fan of Walmart, food lion, and some other chains.

Chains are usually regional. Though we've shopped at aldi stores in many countries,  they're not present in many parts of the USA.

Do you have favorites you watch for?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

In Texas, our favorite, hands down, is HEB.  In fact, we find we miss our HEB’s when on the road.  When on the road, we venture into any grocery store that is convenient.  We do prefer most grocery stores over Walmart, but we’ve given a lot of business to Walmart when traveling.  We eat pretty simple, grill a meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish) and a veggie and we’re good.  Walmart is fine for paper goods and non-food supplies.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

Walmart almost always, at home and on the road. I have a lifetime 10% discount there and it’s good nationwide. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Every year for hurricane season we stock the trailer with can goods and non perishable items. Dollar General is where we stock up from. I found for some reason the can and non perishable items have the longest shelf date than you can find at the big box stores and cheaper prices.

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

I'm like a fish out of water anytime I set foot in a grocery store.  So many choices of so many things - how is one to know which one is the best, which one is the easiest to make, which one requires ten pots (and several spices and a special moon phase and a small dog) to make?  Heck - I'm just happy to be able to go into one of those things, get something that I can eat and get out without getting run over by several people who obviously really do know what they are doing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

@Landrover, great idea to stock the evacuation pod ahead of season. 

I do a bit of camp kitchen shopping at the dollartrees, too. Boxed milk, shelf stable, is $1 for a quart, and the thin aluminum pans , 3 and 4 for a dollar, are great for some types of campfire cooking. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Always love the little mom & pop places. They have the quirky local goods & some are also the liquor store.

"I♡Publix"

Lakeland, FL (home) is blessed to be the headquarters for Publix. They have given generously to our community. 

• Like 2
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators
17 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Walmart almost always, at home and on the road. I have a lifetime 10% discount there and it’s good nationwide. 

Did you buy a Walmart geezer card or something for a lifetime 10% discount?  Should I try my National Parks geezer card?🤪

• Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, ShallowGal said:

"I♡Publix"

If I get into a Publix and find their multigrain bread still warm from the oven, I grab a loaf, head over to the butter case and grab a stick, pay for it and then head to the truck.  Once at the truck I make a complete fool of myself by eating as much of this bread (with the butter) as my stomach can hold.  Almost better than se..........🥰

Bill

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

If I get into a Publix and find their multigrain bread still warm from the oven, I grab a loaf, head over to the butter case and grab a stick, pay for it and then head to the truck.  Once at the truck I make a complete fool of myself by eating as much of this bread (with the butter) as my stomach can hold.  Almost better than se..........🥰

Bill

When we had Albertson's in our county, my daughter and I would do similar. Sometimes,  half a loaf would disappear,  on the way home. No butter.

I also love local bakeries and farmers markets. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 9/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, ShallowGal said:

Always love the little mom & pop places. They have the quirky local goods & some are also the liquor store.

"I♡Publix"

Lakeland, FL (home) is blessed to be the headquarters for Publix. They have given generously to our community. 

Our preference, too.  I love seeing the items offered that are not on the shelves in our locale.  Actually, with pandemic supply issues, there isn't much on the the shelves in our one and only small town grocery store!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 9/26/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mike and Carol said:

In Texas, our favorite, hands down, is HEB.  In fact, we find we miss our HEB’s when on the road.  When on the road, we venture into any grocery store that is convenient.  We do prefer most grocery stores over Walmart, but we’ve given a lot of business to Walmart when traveling.  We eat pretty simple, grill a meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish) and a veggie and we’re good.  Walmart is fine for paper goods and non-food supplies.  Mike

HEB is finally coming to DFW and folks are thrilled to soon have another choice.   Not a fan of Walmart or Kroger. 

• Like 2

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

Although often only open one or two days a week, we enjoy  farmers markets for their selection of fresh local produce and meats. These are also  good places to chat with the local residents and get some inside information regarding  attractions and areas of interest. Often there are also local artisans and musicians exhibiting their talents. 

• Like 2

2021 Elite II #769, 2018 Toyota Tundra

In some parts of Utah I'm grateful to find a store where I can buy carrots or some other vegetable and maybe sandwich bread and a box of cereal. When I reach a place like Page Arizona with its well stocked Safeway store (better than the Safeways around me near Seattle) I make sure to go in with a well thought out list and stock up (including on >4% beer 🙂 )!! I guess I should think of Wally World more for groceries while on the road - I am not in the habit. 

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

But yeah, there are some great little stores scattered around. Port Orford OR has a nice little food co-op that often has great stuff, and there's a too-tempting store just down the sidewalk that always has some fantastic cheeses and baked goods. Just up the road in Langlois is a decent little market that doesn't look like much from the outside - you can't tell a book by its cover.

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709