Possible to Convert Elite II from Full to Twin?

MrLynn

If one were to find a used Oliver Elite II for sale, and if it had the full-bed floor plan, would it be possible to convert it to the twin-bed plan?  If so, would it be necessary to tow it to the Oliver factory in Tennessee to have it converted?  

Or could you have Oliver ship you the necessary components and make the switch yourself?

Not that we know of any used Elite IIs, especially at a modest price in New England, but I'm just curious. . . –LEJ

• Moderators

Yes, no, yes.

Explanation - yes, you can convert from one to the other.  No, it would not be necessary to go back to the factory for the conversion as long as one is reasonably handy and can find a way to attach the twin bed "bed" extensions without using the "rivets" that the factory uses (I don't think that this task should be too difficult, but, I've never done it nor have I seen it done.  Yes, the factory could ship you the necessary components - nightstand, bed extensions, and miscellaneous parts like outlets, etc. and (perhaps) caulk.

You would also have to remove the floor plates for the table or simply remove them and put a rug over the holes where they were fastened down.  And, of course, make or buy the cushions/mattresses for the twin beds.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I agree with Bill except for one thing and that is using the rivets the factory uses to attach the bed rails. 

There is no reason not to use the factory rivets as they create a very secure and clean connection.

I speak from experience as I have converted our standard floor plan into a modified twin floor plan.

Andrew

IMG_0901.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 5.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 10.JPG

• Like 4

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

3 hours ago, MrLynn said:

Thanks Bill & Andrew—

Andrew, did you elect not to install the night table that the current promo photos show between the twins?   —LEJ

MrLynn,

I did, as I am 6'5" and sleep on my back.  I need the center fill-in mattress to have enough room for my shoulders and arms.  The dog likes it too!

Keep in mind, the two twin bed rails cost $535 from Oliver.  I can only imagine how much the nightstand would be.

Andrew 

• Thanks 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, AndrewK said:

Keep in mind, the two twin bed rails cost $535 from Oliver.  I can only imagine how much the nightstand would be.

MrLynn,

I bought a used 2017 LE2 in January 2018 with the standard bed configuration.  It did not work for us and we quickly started leaving the big table behind.  We experimented with sleeping arrangements and I found that sleeping across the back bench worked best for me, but I am 6'.  I spoke Oliver service, made an appointment and they converted it over the twin bed configuration at a cost of around $2000 with the night stand, electrical AC outlets and DC circuit with USB and 12v outlets.  I certainly could have completed this project myself if I had thought of it and when I read AndrewK's post about completing this mod, it was a "duh" moment, like why didn’t I think of that.  So I say go for it, if you can find one that you like.  But I do believe your chances are better in finding a twin bed than a standard these days as they are much more popular.

Mossey

• Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”