2021 Elite II Girard Awning collects water

My husband informed me of a design flaw in the Girard awning installation; perhaps this is also true of the Dometic awning installation as well.  While cleaning the roof of our 2021 Elite II he noticed a substantial amount of water standing the entire length of the inboard edge of the awning where the rubber gasket meets the roof.  A combination of  said water and accumulated fir needles/leaves creates a sludge, of sorts - a black slime, that is easily removed, but water only returns the next time it rains.

I realize the intent of the rubber moulding between the awning cassette and the roof is two-fold: to reduce vibration and to prevent water from running down the side of the trailer, onto the windows and above the door.  Has anyone come up with a design modification?  What do you do?  I know, clean it, periodically. . . . . . . but it doesn't seem to take any time at all for the black slime to reappear (at least there in the PNW).  

I wonder if some sort of gutter, tilted slightly to the rear would help.  Or is "out of sight, out of mind" the remedy?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

This has long been a "problem" and is the reason that a number of owners have simply removed that "rubber gasket".  I understand that newer models have one or more holes drilled in the support brackets for the awning but I doubt if this totally gets rid of the issue you are describing.  When not using my Oliver I keep it tilted towards the rear which helps drain the water out of this area.  And, I cover my Ollie when in storage.  Still, this area requires a good cleaning at least every other wash.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I removed the rubber water guard molding as soon as we got home with our new trailer, it was full of pine needles and dirt and just a bad idea to keep the water from the windows. We have been through several rainy camping campouts and the rain has not been a problem for us, but like everything else I'm sure some can't shut the window when needed and work around it.  There are probably many that never clean the top of their Oliver and think it's just shinny like the sides, but there in for a big surprise the day they look up there. This has been talked about on the forum before and for me removal of the rubber molding was the best solution for me and my trailer does not have a factory dirt collector anymore. I think some have installed a drip rail molding above the windows, but for me I don't like the look it adds to the trailer, so I will pass on that idea as well. 

trainman 

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Yep, I pulled mine off the day after getting home from delivery. It is a pretty lame design. The trailer looks much better without it, and it certainly stays 100 times cleaner up above the awning. Install rain gutters over the windows and the upper fridge vent, then no worries. Also, removing said gasket gives you a place to lash tight a padded ladder (so it doesn't fall over and leave you stranded up there).

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Yep, I pulled mine off the day after getting home from delivery. It is a pretty lame design. The trailer looks much better without it, and it certainly stays 100 times cleaner up above the awning. Install rain gutters over the windows and the upper fridge vent, then no worries. Also, removing said gasket gives you a place to lash tight a padded ladder (so it doesn't fall over and leave you stranded up there).

John Davies

Spokane WA

That "stranding" actually happened to my friend's brother. A neighbor heard his calls.  Not a great situation. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.