Zamp Solar Port

Jps190

So I am planning on making a cable Like John Davies did to run from my Zamp solar port to my truck bed to run a Iceco Fridge/freezer.  I was under the assumption that the port connects directly to the batteries.  When I went to test for voltage at the port I wasn't getting anything so I looked under the streetwise bed to see how the connections were done.  The pictures below show what I found. The red wire from the port connects to another red wire and the black wire connects to a yellow wire that goes toward the front of the trailer but isn't connected to anything.  Should this yellow wire be connected to the bus bar in the picture?  Is that why I am seeing no voltage because there is no ground?

IMG_0043.jpeg

IMG_0044.jpeg

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

Yes, that wire should go into an unused socket in the ground bus. Strip off some insulation, somebody just forgot that one, and it was not caught before delivery!!! Check all the other screws, there may be loose ones. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John.  I was assuming that was the case but this yellow wire is not even stripped at the end.  If it was stripped I would have assumed it came out of the ground bus but the previous year diagrams show a yellow wire for the port going directly to the battery.  I'll give it all another look when I get back to the trailer tomorrow.

John

John and Kim

• Moderators

I'd agree, by Oliver standards, yours should have been connected.  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

It seems that Oliver standards are slipping a little bit.  When we took delivery our trailer was filthy.  If I purchased a $75000 car it would be shining when I drove it off the lot.  After I got to Davie Crockett I noticed the bumper on the door was loose.  It was attached with a single screw through the thin sheet metal door.  The latch to hold the door open was through bolted with an aluminum backer plate.  Why the bumper wasn't done in a similar way makes no sense.  I rectified it when I got home.

65341055747__36287ABE-0201-4BE9-8523-75E2BE8164AE.jpeg

• Like 1

John and Kim

• Moderators

As with a bunch of things - "the devil is in the details".  A really nice job of connecting all those ground wires to the bus bar spoiled by not connecting one more.  I suspect that the Zamp solar port was installed later.  Certainly this is no excuse for missing the Zamp connection.

If you haven't already done so - please forward an email to Jason Essary with the pictures above.  Both Production and Service have quality control checklists that this issue should be added to.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I am a big fan of Klein tools 😁. I am glad you are up and running, is there a fuse in the positive line? Mine did not have one, it should be “about” 10 amps, my Furrion port is rated at that. I am not sure what the Zamp one requires.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Something else you may want to do is replace the Zamp port screws with pan head #6-1/2" stainless steel screws. Mine rusted and were starting to leave orange rust stains on the hull.

zampPortSS.jpg

• Like 2

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4