Street Side Awning

Steve and Ann

Hi y’all,

We weren’t going to get a street side awning but were told it would come in handy for keeping rain off the windows on that side so we’d be able to have them open. 

My question is twofold…

1) Those of you that didn’t get one, have you regretted it and why?

2) If you did have one put on are you glad you did or was it not really utilized much?

It sure is nice to have a place to ask these questions prior to getting ours, thank again!!

Steve

Steve, Ann & Hank (Boyken Spaniel)
Elite II Twin  “Camp Barky”  2021 Ram 1500 5.7L

Greenwood, SC

• Moderators

Steve & Ann - 

I didn't get the street side awning.  I really don't camp very much in places where it is really hot (desert SW for instance) and where I do camp without much shade I'm usually at altitude.  In addition, I really don't even use the curbside awning very much since I'm out all day either fishing or hiking.  

I see that you have Hank.  If he is going to be with you and if you are going to be leaving him in the Ollie while you are out, those awnings do help to keep the interior cooler versus what it would be without the awnings.  Also, if you generally camp in "normal", organized campgrounds then there will be those times that either due to the sun's direction or the kind of site you are in, the street side awning just might come in handy.

Bottom line - for me - I'm glad I didn't spend that money to get it.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

12 minutes ago, Steve and Ann said:

We weren’t going to get a street side awning but were told it would come in handy for keeping rain off the windows on that side so we’d be able to have them open. 

We have only the curbside awning, and have not left it fully extended in rain (because rain is often accompanied by wind).  We have, however, left it partially extended (perhaps 1 to 3 feet from the trailer) in the rain.  With this amount of extension, the water does not drain from the awning, and instead pools between the aluminum arms.  Not good, because it weights down the awning.  The fabric is "breathable," but does not let enough water filter through to avoid pooling.  

I understand that it was easier to set angles on older-style manual awnings with support arms (allowing for better drainage); these would be much better for rain (and wind).  

Also, rain can bring down leaves or pine needles, leaving gunk on the awning.  I've waited until the gunk dries, swept it off with a broom (while standing on a ladder, or blowing it off with the leaf blower (essential camping tool🙂).  Again, I believe that the older-style manual awning would allow temporarily setting it at a steeper angle to allow cleaning before rolling it up.  

So, in concept, the awnings would be great for protecting partially open windows when raining.  In practice, not so much.  Wish they did.

• Like 2

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

I don't have a ton of experience with them yet but thus far I'm glad we have them on both sides as we do a fair amount of camping at the often drizzly coast and indeed extending them a foot or so helps - we are both keen on ventilation. And indeed on the new (we have a 2021 model) awnings the water will pool in the awning though it overflowed and drained a bit before breaking the awning at least so far. Just don't stand under the awnings when you retract them!! And yes, using the awnings in varied conditions will of course hasten the day on which we'll need to replace the fabric portion. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

We did not get the street side awning and we’ve never missed it.   We stay at full hookup campgrounds most of the time, and the street side of the sites at campgrounds isn’t a place you want to be sitting.  Usually not much space on the street side of your site at a campground.  Your street side is your left side neighbor’s curb side, so they get priority for space on that side.  And that’s the side with your sewer, water and electric hookups and you’ll also be looking right at your neighbor on that side who is sitting out under his curbside awning.  We just close the street side windows if it’s raining.  And I’m not a fan of leaving even the curbside awning out if it’s raining anyway.  Too many stories of Ollie owners having the awning blown off in sudden wind gusts (the auto retract feature works slowly).   More expense and more weight that we wanted to avoid so we skipped the street side awning.  Seems like a very expensive rain gutter.  

• Like 1

Steve & Ann, we opted not to get the street side awning, we do like to keep the windows open so i installed the small white gutters on all the windows, it only helps with a very light rain (mist) or the dew in the morning. 

20211002_160608.jpg

20211002_160557.jpg

• Like 1

Sue & Harold

Oliver Elite II Twin bed,  Hull #508, Ram 2500

CAIDINIAKYMIMNMTNENVNDOHORSDTNUTWIWYmed.            

Thanks for the great feedback.
Although our preference is national forest/boondocking type camping and the fact that there usually isn’t anyone camping close to us that would be bothered by that awning I think we may take it off the build. 

One of the reasons I was attracted to the Oliver’s is their installation of the anchorage needed for mounting any options during or after the initial build. 

The only other build item I’m on the fence about is that cradlepoint WiFi but I’ll start another post on it.

Thanks again y’all,

Steve

Greenwood, SC

29 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

I thought beginning in 2022 a manual street side awning was standard and 'automatic' for it was the only option.

I think the street side is always an option and it only comes powered Ralph.

Steve

• Like 1

Greenwood, SC