Progressive EMS Surge Remote Display and E9

GraniteStaters

Just now, GraniteStaters said:

Progressive EMS

We headed to a new campground in Maine and when we hooked up to shore power we noted that we had errors on the EMS remote display in the attic.  E9 alternated with OFF on the display.  We eventually tried using a 20 Amp circuit with a short 12-3 extension and an adapter for the Furrion port.  The error was cleared.  When we tried using the 30 Amp and the Furrion cord, the error returned.  We didn’t find anything not working with E9, but we were concerned by the OFF indicating a problem with surge protection.  We called Progressive and discussed with their support.  They were puzzled too by the combination of the two messages.  We checked the remote button wasn’t in the off position.  We disconnected the RJ11 cable to recycle the remote display.  Also checked the Surge end of this cable under the dinette seat closest to the pantry. Neither was loose and the condition persisted.  They offered to ship me a new remote display.  Still puzzled, we left the shore on the 20 amp circuit overnight and I tested again the next day.  Same results.  I then decided to test using my Honda generator and it worked as it expected.  I then reconnected the 30 Amp using the Furrion cord and the E9 error and OFF didn’t return.  All was okay for several hours and then I found the E9 error had returned.  Later it disappeared and hasn’t returned.  I will wait for the new remote display and then swap it in the attic.  I suspect that some how the bypass button is really the issue.  I will install the old remote underneath the dinette seat on the Surge protector and attach via an RJ11 cable when necessary to debug its operation.  

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

• Moderators

Weird - 

A couple of years ago I was having "issues" with the remote display.  Like you, Progressive sent me a new remote display.  Before receiving it (shipment only took a few days) I found that the negative cable wasn't tight on the protector.  I tightened that but didn't test it before installing the new display.  In any case - I've not had a problem since.

Good luck.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 3 weeks later...

Bill, I liked your suggestion and discussed with Progressive Support to understand how to verify this after I looked at the external screws for the ground wires.  They repeated your suggestion that this might account for the issue.  I disconnected our LEII from our shore power and as a precaution, powered off the trailer by manually tripping the 60 amp circuit breaker.  I then pulled the cover of the unit to verify the ground wires were all connected.  Each of the 3 ground connections had a nut on the screws and all appeared to be normal.  I assume that I really didn't need to install my new remote panel, but wanted to use it for any future issues or troubleshooting, so I mounted it on the top edge of the Surge Suppressor between the grounding screws and left a RJ11 with the 4 center wires terminated connected.  This will allow me to move to this new remote panel if necessary to confirm its involvement or non-involvement in a future E9 error condition.

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"