New to Oliver in CA

Boonter Jeff

Hi folks, My wife, Donna and myself (Jeff Pugh) are looking to upgrade from our Casita 17 to a Legacy Elite II.  From what I’ve been reading it sounds like the Oliver has the kind of quality that we really appreciate.  It also appears to have a loyal and likable group of owners.  We’ve owned boats, so the idea of marine grade hardware and surfaces is appealing.

I have perhaps two main concerns.  We have a 2008 Tundra with the 5.7 engine and tow package.  I’m spoiled by how easily it tows the Casita.  I am less worried about towing the L.E. II after reading some of your posts but…. The other concern is that adding six feet of length might “inhibit” our ability to find places in Forest Service and BLM campgrounds.  All that being said I’m pretty sure that we are ready to make a move.  

We live in Mendocino Count (about 110 miles north of San Francisco). I was shown the trailer recently at an RV park in SoCal by a very kind couple.  However my wife hasn’t seen the trailer.  So I was wondering if there is anybody in the Bay Area or points north in our direction who might be willing to give her a peek?  I’ve played phone tag with Josh at the factory but he seems like a pretty busy guy so I thought I’d try here too.  We have family in the east bay so we go back and forth quite a bit.  We are, of course, happy to respect mask protocols.  

Thanks!

image.jpeg.7fccb45a33615b2deaeeaeedc4bbbfcb.jpeg

• Moderators

Hey Jeff, I think your Tundra will do fine.  The Elite II is heavier and longer, but there are lots of folks towing with a half ton and 5.7L.  We’ve been in a lot of tight FS, BLM and COE sites,  I don’t think you’ll be too restricted with the larger Oliver.  If you go to the Oliver main page there’s a “See an Oliver” button on the top right.  That would get you set if there is someone in your area who can show.

There are a lot of loyal Oliver owners, the likeable part….. 🤣.

Welcome to the forum - Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

One of my best friends tows a Casita.  In very tight spots, when we travel together,  my husband has backed hers for her. 

The short aframe and relatively heavy tongue can get a bit squirelly on the Casita. You'll get used to the Oliver difference,  easily.

As far as the Tundra, we have a bunch of folks on here who love the Tundra. Search "tundra" and you'll see. I think Toyota fans/owners are a happy, loyal bunch. Me, I'm not so brand loyal . Every modern half ton is capable, imo.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The change to the two axle E2 does make backing less exciting than your ‘highly responsive’ Casita, but it is longer and you will notice the difference from the easy in-out ability of the Casita. I still miss it.

I pulled my 17’ Casita for years using three different different generations of Toyota Land Cruisers. At 3000lbs it wasn’t until I got to my 2013 with the 5.7 Tundra engine that it felt painless. 

Moving to the the 5-6k lb E2 was like taking a step back to the 2007 4.7 small V8. 

That said, after a three week, 2500 mile trip from Texas to Ouray, CO this summer I found it worked well. 4th gear is standard, but I was able to stay with traffic pretty easily, generally 45-65+. Gas mileage was abysmal, but comes with the territory. 

A big 1/2 ton or easily a 3/4 ton is your friend, but my truck lets me do stuff others can’t, once I get to my location.  

Try it for a year and decide then. Might be able to actually buy a new truck by then. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

Thanks for all the good information.  I pushed the button and filled out the form to see an Oliver.  We’ve towed that squirrelly Casita all the way to Nova Scotia and back.  One thing I’ve learned about backing in trailers or docking boats is to let go of any macho pride.  I can pull out and try it again as long as it takes.  I might even ask (gasp) for help 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.jpeg.7fccb45a33615b2deaeeaeedc4bbbfcb.jpeg

• Moderators

I was not saying it was squirrelly all the time. Just different in tight spaces. Like trying to get between two trees, with less than 6" on each side, in a provincial park in Ontario.. that was a fun one.

My friend enjoys hers, too.

One of our first travel trailer trips together was to Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. It was a beautiful trip, and memories of a lifetime.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Boonter Jeff said:

I might even ask (gasp) for help 🙂

Just be sure to NOT ask for directions or your "Man Card" will be at risk 😆

Shame that CA is not all that close to FL in that in a couple of weeks you could see a bunch of Ollies all in one place.

Bill

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"