Mud Dawber Screens

SeaDawg

• Moderators

We installed the muddawber screens from Camco on the heater and water heater vents about a year ago.

No mud dawbers since then, but today, while putting the Oliver away, we did notice that the metal edges of the screens are wearing some on both the gel coat around the furnace vents and the metal plate of the hot water heater vent. Not a real surprise, I guess, as they've been riding around and vibrating for about 20,000 miles or so, and the springs allow some movement of the screens.

Paul applied some narrow strips of white duct tape to the face of the vent surrounds, where the screen edges rest, in hopes of abrading the tape instead of the trailer. Not sure how this will hold up on the water heater metal access door, as it gets quite hot when the water heater kicks on. Any other ideas?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi Sherry,

I binged heat proof adhesive tape and then clicked on the airplane parts website that had a lead of heatproof tape. I emailed the company and they sent me three catalog pages of different kinds of tape. I don't have a clue which if any of the tapes listed can be used on fiberglass. Eventually I will get back to researching this. j

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Thanks, jam49. We'll look into that, too.

I doubt the duct tape is the long term solution, but it should stop the abrading effect of metal on metal, at least temporarily.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.