Heating duct tear

Imelda

• Moderators

It’s pretty flimsy material so it would be best to have some internal support for the duct.  Maybe disconnect it at the point closest to the tear and work your hand/arm or something similar into the duct while applying the foil tape.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I agree with @mossemithat it would be best to support the flex duct from the inside when applying the tape.  Unfortunately that may be difficult due to location or the duct being too small to get your hand into.

Most aluminum HVAC tape is about 2" wide.  That should be wide enough to easily span the distance between the spiral coils of the wire that give the duct its body and support.  If you can go all the way around the duct with the tape while pressing it against the coils it will seal the tear.  If you try just pressing against the "skin" of the duct you will struggle and perhaps make it worse.

HVAC tape is wonderful stuff.  It is widely used by professional insulators when applying foil faced sheet insulation to metal ductwork.  Oliver probably used some to seal the seams in the insulation on your trailer.  I think that I ran across some in mine.

Good luck with your repair.

• Like 2

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Imelda said:

The sliver heating duct that runs under the bed and next to the water pump has torn.

Any idea of why it tore?  

Another way to fix the repair - especially if the tear was caused by wear - would be to first place aluminum tape on it as per the above suggestions and then take either a larger piece of duct or one of the same size and place the existing duct inside it (i.e. wrap the new duct over the existing) and then tape it in place.  This will tend to seal the tear a bit better while also giving that area a bit of support and protection.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Be very aware that there are many cheap, poor quality tapes out there. A good 2 mil thick (0.002”) one like the 3M linked above, would work OK. But there are heavier ones up to 5 mil that are much stronger. OTH they will be a little harder to work with. I much prefer a 2.5” wide 3 mil tape over any thinner version. 

It is also MUCH better for repairing any loose foil insulation inside the hull. I have used it in many locations. And on my home HVAC system. Two or three layers is better that a single layer, it results in a much stronger repair. It does need to be worked into place very well, a bunch of loose voids accomplishes nothing. I personally would cut the duct there and install an internal splice/ coupling. Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I think it got torn trying to raise it up to get to the fresh water tank drain valve that is located just under it. I am leaving this Friday so I will just use the aluminum HVAC tape for now as it is unlikely we will be using the heater and then come the spring check to see how it is holding up and repair it more then if needed.

Thanks all.

Imelda

• Like 3