Saving Caulk

topgun2

• Moderators

Over the years I've tried almost everything out there to include taping the ends, putting sticks/nails and other commercially made "stoppers" in open tubes of caulk.  But, nothing really did a great job of keeping the caulk from drying out.  

Early last year I saw a Youtube video that talked about a canister that is used to help save open tubes of caulk.  So, I bought two.

Today, I had reason to use both a Liquid Nails solvent based construction adhesive and a DAP latex sealant/caulk that I had last used about 11 months ago.  Both were not much different than when I put them into the canisters.  With the price of caulk as high as it is, I'm convinced that the AirTite canister will save me money and the hassle of adding to the landfill.

I bought mine on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQSZ5YH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bill 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Early last year I saw a Youtube video that talked about a canister that is used to help save open tubes of caulk.  So, I bought two.

If all OTTO's bought a 2 pack, we would probably put 3M out of business.  I usually just throw my partial tubes of any 3M caulk in the garbage.  I have found that trying to save them is really frustrating.  I have them on my short list.

Thanks topgun2,

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Well I guess that glowing endorsement fooled me into thinking someone had found something better than sliced bread.  Maybe I’ll wait for Overland to try them out, cause he buys that 3M stuff by the case.😃

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

We've been using these, plus refrigerator storage in the shop. I also put more expensive caulk in a big ikea zip lock.

We're able to extend the life a bit, on many items,  but not all.

Little Red Cap Contractor Pack Caulk Saving Cap, Red 

525606892_Screenshot_20211011-182101_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.e7d3027249b5dabe6c1c35a7c49e440c.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.