A teaser for a new modification in the works

Minnesota Oli

Cool, a party platform for ball games, races and star gazing? I hate working off a bunch of ladders, you need one of these ....  Titan Auto Rotisserie

I can't wait to see it finished.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Looking good. Curious to see what your rear attachment is going to be.  

If I were going to go Full Monty with solar panels, I would get rid of my curb side awning entirely and use four brackets there and four on the unused street side. And I would make the big frame pivot in either direction for roof access. I hope Minnesota Ollie uses the newer lightweight panels, if that is in fact what is going on here….

But I would probably just retain the two factory panels and install a Solar Tracker.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

If I were going to go Full Monty with solar panels, I would get rid of my curb side awning entirely and use four brackets there and four on the unused street side.

It's a good strategy, and you wouldn't have to remove the awning.  Just add your support to the bracket like Oliver did with my rear ones.  I'd originally asked them to do all the panels in a single raft like above, but Oliver was concerned about the height and how to attach the rear.  I think they were limited in thinking that they had to start at the usual height.  If they'd done them all off the awning mounts, but an inch and a half higher than they made the rear ones, then everything could have floated just a hair above the roof and would have looked pretty slick imo.  Of course you'd want to hinge everything, for maintenance alone if not for solar gain.  I can clean under the rear panels, but it's a pain.  You'd want to hinge it in two or three sections though to make it manageable.  

I'd love to see someone do an install of just the narrow panels, like this - three per side -

IMG_2412.thumb.jpeg.af31b97cf2e39bd928a83765bbed39b5.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2