no on shore power

Imelda

help, I am camping and it has happened again where I loose the on shore power. The inverter works, no microwave etc. and I tried to reset the GFCI plug for the inverter. Does not seem to work now. There is also a black button under there that I pushed - no luck. The inverter works but no on shore power. I have had this same problem before when I had the microwave running and a electric kettle but resetting the inverter GFCI has worked. I am using a generator and I know I have 120 volts coming out of it. What does the black button do?

• Moderators

In all likelihood,  running two  high wattage appliances is too much for your generator.

Try it with one.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Are you on shore power or on generator?  We don’t use our inverter when on either one, the AC outlets are powered directly.  As SeaDawg mentioned, be careful not to run more than one high wattage things at the same time.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The generator is ok. When I disconnected it it is still putting out 120V.  The problem is the microwave has no power when I connect the generator. I checked the GFCI that the inverter plugs into and reset it. What other fuses should I check? The breakers under the dinette are all on Not  sure if I connect to shore power if it will work, if it doesnt work with the generator that used to be ok

• Moderators

If you have shore power I would put the generator away and connect to shore power.  If the microwave doesn’t come on I would check to ensure that it is plugged in (check in the left overhead above the microwave.  If it is plugged in, I would check whatever GF outlets you have to ensure they aren’t tripped.  I believe there is a fuse in the breaker panel for the microwave, I would check it too.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

To clarify a few things:

The inverter is not used when connected to campground shore power.  The campground shore power provides AC power directly to the AC outlets, microwave, etc. in the Ollie.  

The inverter is not used when using a generator.

The inverter is used when boondocking for using the onboard batteries to provide power to the AC outlets.  The inverter converts the battery DC voltage to AC voltage.

Your generator may be putting out 120volts but that doesn’t mean it can supply enough wattage to run the microwave and whatever else you may be running at the same time.   What is the continuous wattage output rating of your generator?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Imelda, do you have 110 at the other outlets?

And, are you using a campground electric hookup, or just your generator.  If generator,  what model?

The more details you can provide, the better.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I think I met Imelda while at Big Bend NP on Mon, 18 Oct. Was surprised to see another 2020 E2 in a campground of 20 or less rig, everything from a tiny tear drop to a 40' Class A, all boon-docking.  The days were hot.

No cell phone connectivity at Rio Grande Campground and limited wifi at the store.

They were headed to Ft. Davis State Park.

If that's her, she was running with only a 2000 watt generator.  We think it might have done something to the inverter when trying to start the AC w/o soft-start. When I left Wednesday AM, she and my camping neighbor, an electrician, were discussing some diagnostic approaches with fuses, reset, etc.

No solar.   

I expect she'll check-in once on shore power at Ft. Davis.

If not Imelda, just delete this. 😉

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

Thanks, @Ralph Mawyer. poor connectivity would explain why she has not come back to post.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Ok everyone. I am back online again. I did get the microwave to come back. It was the GCFI on the inverter plug that was not reset properly. I pushed it again and heard it click so I am good but now the ac will not come on. The display in the ac control panel is on but the set as low as 56F the ac will not turn on. 

Did I damage it trying to run it on the 2K watt generator?  What can I try, are there any fuses?

Imelda

I am never never ever going to try running the ac from a 2K watt generator🥵 no matter how hot it is.

Mike at Oliver talked me through the inverter fuse etc. under the driver side bed and flipping these plus resting the GCFI did the trick but not for the ac

so finally I looked at the surge protector Jin Oker suggestion and no lights error codes on the surge protector display what so ever. It looks dead, -  Yes there is shore power (I checked with a meter) . So if there are no lights on the surge protectors at all does that mean it is dead or is there another fuse between it and the shore power?

• Moderators

Imelda, are you home now, on a fixed 110 circuit, which most of us call shore power, or are you still running from your 2000 watt generator?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I am connected to 110 V shore power not using the generator.

I have 110 volts going to the trailer connected to a camp site outlet but no power at the surge protector display. The display is blank and looks like it has no power to it. Is there a fuse between the surge protectors and the 110V input connector that needs to be reset or did I fry the surge protector? 

I am running of the batteries but it would be nice to turn on the ac. It get hot here in the afternoon.

Edited by Imelda
Miss typed

I don’t know if there is a fuse or reset button.. but there is a bypass switch.. 

here are a couple of potentially helpful bits from the owners manual… maybe a wire rattled loose 

AD701502-1609-4077-889D-C24952D70D12.thumb.jpeg.91205a318864d579da4f795d51b29e7b.jpeg87DE57A6-8197-4426-B394-5551739AB02D.thumb.jpeg.9bec53fd183a40073f8284827c5ac6ad.jpeg

• Like 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mcb said:

I don’t know if there is a fuse or reset button.. but there is a bypass switch.. 

here are a couple of potentially helpful bits from the owners manual… maybe a wire rattled loose 

AD701502-1609-4077-889D-C24952D70D12.thumb.jpeg.91205a318864d579da4f795d51b29e7b.jpeg87DE57A6-8197-4426-B394-5551739AB02D.thumb.jpeg.9bec53fd183a40073f8284827c5ac6ad.jpeg

I tried this by pass switch still no ac power 

Is the circuit breaker at the campground AC electrical connection turned on?   Campgrounds usually have circuit breakers in the electrical box that you plug into.  And it’s recommended best practice to turn the breaker off when plugging in or disconnecting, and then turn the circuit breaker on after you are connected.   Turning the breaker off when connecting or disconnecting your AC shore power cable prevents electrical arcing that can damage your plug.  More than a few people have overlooked checking this one simple thing.   

11 minutes ago, FrankC said:

Is the circuit breaker at the campground AC electrical connection turned on?   Campgrounds usually have circuit breakers in the electrical box that you plug into.  And it’s recommended best practice to turn the breaker off when plugging in or disconnecting, and then turn the circuit breaker on after you are connected.   Turning the breaker off when connecting or disconnecting your AC shore power cable prevents electrical arcing that can damage your plug.  More than a few people have overlooked checking this one simple thing.   

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country