Downsize from Elite II to Elite?

Ralph Mawyer

Has anyone downsized from the  Elite II to the Elite I.    I've been on a few trips with my 2020 E2, but mostly solo, since my wife still works.

I miss the maneuverability of my 17' Casita, but love my E2 once I'm setup as I'm 6'3'. 😉

Just curious if anyone did the same for solo travel.

I'm assuming the  technical specs are essentially the same, but hope to check one out locally at some point.

Thoughts...

2020 Legacy Elite II : Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

Hey Ralph, I don’t know anyone that downsized.  Pete (bugeyedriver) has an older Elite and lives near me in Fair Oaks.  He’s a solo camper. You could PM him to see if he’s in town.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We have the LE2, but I've looked at the LE1.  Its appeal? smaller, more maneuverable, requiring smaller tow vehicle, better fuel mileage.  But for me, however, at 6'2", it felt cramped.  The ceiling height is 6'1", the upper cabinets are shorter, the bathroom is shorter, the closet is smaller.  I think it is good for less tall folks.

There have been various threads on what general layout changes might improve either the LE1 or LE2.  Some folks have suggested a larger LE3.  Owners of the LE1 will have a more informed opinion, but I think there would be a market for an LE1 that has a taller ceiling height, perhaps moving the galley to the street side in place of the current dinette (resulting in a larger cooking and storage area), and building a smaller dinette (or perhaps couch/bench with Lagun table) in the current galley area.  This (IMHO) would make for a terrific solo traveler for the taller individual.  

Alternatively, the refrigerator and stove could be moved to the street side adjacent to the bathroom, leaving a small sink counter on the curb side (with a flip-up counter extension in the doorway); this would leave space for a seat on either side of the isle adjacent to the bed, and a dining table could slide out from (or at least be stored under) under the bed.  This arrangement would allow for beds to remain made up, result in a slightly larger galley, and provide a dining area for two.

• Like 2

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators

If you were comfortable in the Casita 17, you'll be comfortable in the smaller Elite. I just spent a couple weeks camping with my friend who has a Casita 17. Interior height is about the same. I too, wish it were an inch or 3 taller, but it's not.

The overhead storage cabinets in the Elite are smaller than an E2, but larger than those in her Casita. To me, the Oliver interior feels more spacious, though, with fiberglass and no carpet, bigger side window, and the mirrored bath door. 

Closet is about the same size. The bath is roughly the same size as your previous Casita, but the molded vanity again makes it seem a bit bigger.

The Elite battery tray is smaller than the E2, but has room for 2 105 ah batteries, vs Casita single battery. Furnace on the current E1 is under the forward small dinette seat, and the only ducting is to the bath. Our older trailers had the furnace in the kitchen, next to the big dinette/bed, so the new ones have more drawer space in the kitchen.

Good luck in your decision.  We really enjoy our littler Elite, but it's not for everyone. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Furnace on the current E2 is under the forward small dinette seat, and the only ducting is to the bath. Our older trailers had the furnace in the kitchen, next to the big dinette/bed, so the new ones have more drawer space in the kitchen.

My ‘21 Elite I appears to have a heat duct that runs from the furnace to a vent under the curb side of the bed, close to the kitchen.

D39BB89B-CC4B-4DD0-AF61-D04114C7AFDF.jpeg

7B699707-FC54-48B5-B577-4DA838C971DD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Thanks for that photo. Nice improvement in the newer Elites. That's great! 

And, welcome to the forum, Garby.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If you were comfortable in the Casita 17, you'll be comfortable in the smaller Elite. I just spent a couple weeks camping with my friend who has a Casita 17. Interior height is about the same. I too, wish it were an inch or 3 taller, but it's not.

The overhead storage cabinets in the Elite are smaller than an E2, but larger than those in her Casita. To me, the Oliver interior feels more spacious, though, with fiberglass and no carpet, bigger side window, and the mirrored bath door. 

Closet is about the same size. The bath is roughly the same size as your previous Casita, but the molded vanity again makes it seem a bit bigger.

The Elite battery tray is smaller than the E2, but has room for 2 105 ah batteries, vs Casita single battery. Furnace on the current E1 is under the forward small dinette seat, and the only ducting is to the bath. Our older trailers had the furnace in the kitchen, next to the big dinette/bed, so the new ones have more drawer space in the kitchen.

Good luck in your decision.  We really enjoy our littler Elite, but it's not for everyone. 

Is it OK to own one of each... 😉

• Love 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Is it OK to own one of each... 😉

Sure. Why not?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Just now, Mike and Carol said:

Yes!  You would be an expert on both!!

I was wondering if Oliver should have bug awards like the software companies do, e.g., for every QC failure you get more points if it's an original finding, like hold down strap breaking or battery box support bolts vibrating out,  vs repeatable events like fiberglass in the water line. 😉 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Yes!  You would be an expert on both!!

Probably what would happen is to find a newer Elite I and have to grab it, then decide which to sell.  First world problem. 😉

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Probably what would happen is to find a newer Elite I and have to grab it, then decide which to sell.  First world problem. 😉

Indeed. 

Honestly,  if circumstances changed, we'd maybe get a campervan. Not go bigger.

I haven't driven at night for many years. I'm still legal, but uncomfortable,  and go  slow after dark. 

I'll stay with the crawlover bed, tinier footprint,  as long as we can. We've found we carry less, not more, the longer we camp. (Maybe experience of unloading  and loading all that "stuff?)

For us, it's all about the great outdoors,  and a warm, dry hard- sided tent, which we have. 

I'm of course a bit prejudiced, as we've enjoyed the littler trailer for 14 seasons. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

My biggest thought is since the price between the two is so close, why would you even consider the 19 footer. I do realize that maybe because your tow vehicle would not handle the larger trailer, but I would consider changing tow vehicles before I would give up trailer size for the price difference. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.