Rain

Steph and Dud B

All our previous RVs had swing out windows that we could leave open in the rain. That meant we could leave the campsite, sleep, etc. with open windows without worrying about rainstorms. Since the Ollies have sliding windows how do you ventilate them on rainy days? I know the Maxxair can run in the rain, but it needs another opening to pull fresh air in through. How do you manage that?

-Dudley

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Open the bathroom vent and the small window there. Open and secure the bathroom door. Use the main vent on exhaust to draw air from front to back. I very seldom camp in rain, I live in a very arid climate, but that is my method. You can add RV rain gutters which help in a light drizzle, but they won't stop water entry in a major storm.

An alternative is individual small awnings on the windows.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Just open your awning about a foot and it will shield the curbside window.  That's SOP for us when we set up camp.  Works great, and at 12" the awning isn't extended far enough to catch any wind, so you can leave camp or sleep without worrying about it.  One of the main reasons for opting for the second awning IMO is to be able to do the same on the street side.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

So the rain goes in the bathroom window and ultimately into your gray tank? Sounds like an issue if dry camping in a rainy climate.

We’ve never had more rain come in through the bathroom window or vent than a paper towel could handle.. 

• Like 3

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

We keep both vents open which is generally enough.  We’ve had the bathroom window open during rain and it’s not really a big deal, like Mcb said.  EZE gutters around the windows also help.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks to all for the replies. I think we're really close to pulling the trigger on purchasing an Ollie. Going to see one tomorrow. Just going through the mental exercise of looking for potential issues so we can make an informed decision. Very different beast than our "stickie" rigs have been.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

The bath window is small and only opens upwards a few inches. I would worry more about a kid peeking through the little gap than the tiny amount of water that could enter. Some people put a little curtain there. Or buy the optional shower curtain track. I use neither, I am not shy😬. Or just leave it closed as suggested above, the bath vent is big enough by itself. Remember that water entry is nearly a non issue, the only thing that might happen in the main cabin is damp bedding. Though having a LOT of water drip down onto the electrical stuff along the street side lower cabinets through the access hatches would not be good. The hull structure and frame itself would never be harmed by water trickling in…. Unlike your stickie.

Enjoy your tour, it will be a little overwhelming, find the time to just sit quietly inside without the owner, if he is amenable, to contemplate the space. It is very different, you will either love it or hate it. It is so much like a nice boat, rather than a wood paneled Rv with faux electric fireplace, acres of empty floor space  and outside entertainment center.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

If it’s a gentle rain you can deploy your awning and open your curb side window. If you have double awnings your can deploy both and open windows. Personally from experience, I find the Ollies sliding windows provide much better cross ventilation than the swing out windows. 

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

We left the  bath  vent open when Fred swept through Western North Carolina several weeks ago.  We measured a foot of rain in 24 hours. The rug in the bath got damp, not wet. Not a big deal, at all. I took the rug out and dried it in the sun after the storm, and wiped the floor with windex and a paper towel.

We do have ez rain gutter on the windows. We have the same Maxx Dome vent that Oliver uses now, but never had much of an issue with the Ventline vent either, until the seal failed. That was more than 10 years in. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

30 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

wiped the floor with wine and a paper towel.

Perhaps you could explain that technique? 😃

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators

Don't you just love autocorrect?

I need to proofread better. Windex, not wine. Lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I don't know. Maybe the wine isn't such a bad idea?? Will add it to the essentials list!

I do consider wine to be essential. 😁 therfore, not to be wasted cleaning the bath floor.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4