HOME EXPERIMENT: WHICH IS THE BEST GRAY WATER TANK TREATMENT?

Spike

A few years ago, I conducted a similar experiment (and posted it on the forum), comparing black and gray water tank treatments using dog poop. In that experiment, TankTechsRx came out the winner over the other product (I’m sorry, I no longer remember that other product’s name), as it did a much better job of reducing the odor. 

I recently encountered another treatment with very good reviews, so I bought a bottle of it—Unique RV Digest-It—to compare with my TankTechsRx. The experiment was this: I mixed a capful of each product with water to nearly fill a small glass, and then I placed five pieces of small dog food kibble in each glass and let them sit. The photo showing the glass with the brown colored liquid is the one with TankTechsRx product, which is naturally brown.

Result: Within 12 hours or so, the Unique RV Digest-It had reduced the kibble to a sludge at the bottom of the glass, whereas the glass with the TankTechsRx still held solid chunks of kibble. The odor was also different, with the TankTechsRx glass smelling a bit funky, while the Unique RV Digest-It glass had a faint, but rather pleasant, almost floral, smell to it.

I will be using Unique RV Digest-It from now on in my gray water tank. We have a composting toilet, so we don’t use a black water tank. However, we have been spraying a mixture of water and TankTechsRx in our composting toilet, which has seemed to help with the composting process and odor control. I will now be trying the Unique RV Digest-It in the same way, expecting good results. I would surmise from my experiment that Unique RV Digest-It would work well in a black water tank and accomplishing what it advertises: 

1. BREAKS DOWN SOLID WASTE INSIDE TANKS. Liquifies human waste and all brands of toilet paper. Digests residual sludge from years of build-up. Works in black and gray tanks.

2. ELIMINATES TOILET & TANK ODORS without masking. Extra strength activated cleaners eliminate odors at their source without covering them with overpowering perfumes.

3. HELPS PREVENT SENSOR MALFUNCTION. Cleans and removes solid waste and paper before it can cling to sensor probes, preventing misreads.

No, I have no association with either company. Yes, I suggest others give Digest-It a try.

IMG_2839.jpeg

IMG_2837.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

Good review, Jeff.  I’ll have to check out the Unique stuff.  We usually don’t use anything in the gray tank while we’re traveling and add Happy Camper when we get home.  Black tank is a detergent pod and a capful of Calgon water softener which probably wouldn’t be good for a composting toilet!  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Have read and heard good things about Happy Campers. I may buy some and try an experiment comparing it to Unique. I haven't tried HC yet because it seems they don't have a liquid form, and I preferred the idea of using liquid rather than solid, especially because I liked mixing the TankTechsRx with water in a spray bottle for the composting toilet and putting a few drops in the drains to cover the drain traps when the trailer would be sitting for a while, which I will do now with the Unique product.

• Like 2

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

I have used both Happy Camper and RV-Digest It in the powder form for about 5 years.  I like both but think the RV-Digest it is a tad better. 

I pretty much would buy them based on the percentage off on the coupons they send me!  

• Like 2

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

Our composting head when used per manufacturer’s instructions requires no additional chemicals.
We have found that thoroughly wiping food residue off dishes and pans prior to washing them and using a fine strainer in the galley sink drain eliminates much of the organic material which could decompose and cause odors. When we return home I have been adding a small amount of Camco grey tank odor control to the traps. I usually drain the grey tank into the yard and it’s usually pretty neutral odor-wise with some slight frothiness from dish and hand soap. 

• Like 3

2021 Elite II #769, 2018 Toyota Tundra

We only use dawn dish soap in our sinks (a great grease cutter) and grey tank and as others have mentioned wipe clean any dishes utensils or before washing them. Really only “Truma hot” soapy water goes down the drain. We occasionally use the camco grey tank valve lube in both tanks.

So far so good.

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg