Battery or PD Converter/charger failure?

aukvn

Hey,

I checked on the Oliver today for my fall trips and have absolutely no power when not hooked up via an outlet.  I'm thinking the batteries are completely dead, but it's odd they don't carry even the slightest charge. I had been storing it connected to an outlet to maintain charge.  My question is really how do I know if it's my batteries that have failed vs something like the progressive dynamics board? The batteries are old, but I would hate to go buy new AGMs to find out it wasn't a battery problem. Even when plugged in, the "IPN ProRemote" is completely blank and not powered. The Xantrex stuff under the seat also has no power. Everything else is powered up and working as usual when I'm plugged in.  Does this stuff have power when the batteries are dead and you are hooked up to an outlet?  How can I best narrow this to the specific problem?

I have 2015 hull 64.  It has Trojan batteries and the solar package.  

Thanks for any pointers or items to troubleshoot!

• Moderators

I’m sure someone smarter than I am will give you some ideas.  My understanding is that all the 12V stuff works off the batteries, so if lights work while connected to AC the batteries should have some charge.  Check under the street side bed where your Blue Sky box is and there are two big circuit breakers, make sure one or both isn’t tripped (there will be a red “flag” sticking out if tripped, just push it back in).  I recall once when I had no 12V and it was because of one of those breakers.  Not sure why it tripped, happened just once in almost 6 years.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

What voltage are you showing on the seelevel guage when not plugged in for 30 minutes? What are you showing when plugged in, on the seelevel?

If plugged in and showing 13.2 to q3.6, you are charging your batteries.  Unpluggrd for 30 minutes (at least), and no sun,  your batteries will settle down a bit to show current state of charge. If fully charged, somewhere between 12. 7 and 13.0 should show on the seelevel after 30 minutes of no charge/ no load.

Our solar has a 30 amp breaker. If that's tripped, we have no display on our bluesky monitor (also ipn pro remote). 

Do you have a progressive dynamics charger/inverter, or a xantrex inverter charger? The progressive dynamics units convert 110 to 12v, and charges the batteries, but does not supply 110 to outlets when not plugged in. That's an inverter function,  separate from the progressive dynamics converter charger.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Most auto parts stores (Napa, etc) or other that sells batteries, can test your batteries to eliminate them as the culprit.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

It looks like the 30 amp breaker was tripped. I had no idea those breakers were even there but my monitors are on again.  Thanks for pointing that out!

I'm now going to wait a bit while plugged in and try the batteries again. 

The blue sky monitor reads 14.1V and -70.4A. It shows the same when I click the battery button on the other guage.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Ok. You are charging. The -70 amps is nothing I've ever seen. But, the blue sky runs on algorithms,  and can give some weird state of charge numbers until the batteries reach 100 per cent, then it resets.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Like mike, our 30 amp has only tripped once. We attributed it to lightning storms, but really don't know. Fortunately,  we caught it before our batteries were toast, as we were not plugged in to 110.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, aukvn said:

It looks like the 30 amp breaker was tripped. I had no idea those breakers were even there but my monitors are on again.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Yep!  I scratched my head for a minute or two when I had a similar situation and then figured that was going to be it and it was.  Glad it was only that for you, too.  You should be back to normal. Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

What batteries do you have? 4 x what ah, 6 or 12v. ?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4