3M Paint Protection

Mountainman198

Installed 3M film of the front corners yesterday. Couldnt get in to a shop to have the whole lower front wrapped before leaving for a trip so this will have to do for now. 

ordered a 12”x72” roll of 3M film from Amazon and decided the area directly behind the truck tires was the most important to protect. Cut the sheet in half and installed as shown (if you look close you can see the inner edge), vertically from the belly seam down. 

I’ll report back on how well it works on this trip. Depending on the results it may
as it is or Ill order a sheet large enough to do the entire front, lower half. 

Total cost was $25 plus about an hour of my time. 

E7D77EC4-C99C-4031-8D2D-C207CC86FF6D.jpeg

• Like 4

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Rex - 

There are a number of "reviews" of this type of protection here on the Forum.  Try the "search" function in the upper right hand corner of this screen to find them.

Like THIS or THIS or THIS or THIS or THIS or THIS.

And the list goes on ...........

Good luck.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

As Bill mentioned there are a number of threads on this.

I used XPEL paint protection in 10 mil thickness on our Ollie corners and dog house and under the street side and curb side areas.

We have used XPEL p/p for over a decade on cars and trucks we have owned. It’s an excellent product. XPEL.com

- David 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I just towed the Ollie 1800 miles this week with this treatment and have the following observations:

1. It stayed put well.  No peeling at the corners or along the edges
  2. The vast majority of the visible flingings from the tow vehicle appear to have made contact in the 12" vertical area from the bellyband to the bottom of the trailer where I had applied the 3M product.  NOTE: I run with a hitch-mounted, rubber rockguard across the rear of my tow vehicle (like rock tamer but a different brand).
  3. I have heard from some that 3M told them not to use their product on gelcoat.  If anyone has been told this and reads this, I'd be interested in the why as it was explained to them by 3M.  Is it due to the breathability required of gelcoat?  Other reasons?  I cannot imagine a 36"x12" application on each front corner would cause any worse issues than where the front Oliver logo and other vinyl graphics are applied. 

UPDATE:  I went back to my receipts and found that I spent $35, not the $25 I reported earlier for a roll of 12"x72" 3M paint protectant.

It really is simple to apply with the proper squeegee (also found on Amazon), a spray bottle of slip (just water and a few drops of soap).

1637704968_Ollie3M.webarchive

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• 3 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 1:07 AM, rangerk9 said:

Thank you Mountainman, topgun and Patriot for your responses.  

Just saw this note you left. My installer use to install 3m but found it would with some installs begin to orange peel and yellow after a few years. He no longer installs 3m.  
XPEL has a 10 yr install and warranty on fading or peeling or orange peeling if professionally installed.
Just thought I would mention this if your still considering p/p. So far our 10 mil XPEL on the Oliver has held up excellent. 

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg