New Exteral Solar and Cover for Outside Storage - Recommend

tallmandan

Well after great trips in CO, UT and SD this year our Oliver is winterized at the RV storage lot.  I though I would share my expeience with a generic-size cover and exteral solar set-up to maintain my batteries while the roof-top panels are covered.

The 100-watt Renogy exteral solar panel with charge controller that has been discussed in other forum threads was just reduced in price on Amazon.  At $189 now it's well worth it!  The included battery clamp cable is long enough to reach from the battery compartment to the rear of the trailer where I have it to get morning sun.  The cable can be routed to exit the battery compartment at the bottom corner and still close and lock properly.  It's just long enough to reach to the back of the trailer where it can absorb morning sun.  I was worred about possible theft but have added a locking cable to the very robust steel solar panel handle on the side which is rivited to the frame.  The cable is locked to the frame crossbar on the underside of the trailer.

Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Off Grid Portable Foldable 2Pcs 50W Solar Panel Suitcase Built-in Kickstand with Waterproof 20A Charger Controller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JVBVL3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I decided to try a cover that is sold by Costco Online knowing that if I wasn't satisfied I could easily take it back to the store.  I've been pleasantly suprised at both the quality and fit.  Just thought I would share in case others are looking for options when covered storage is just not an option.  The cover has already disappeared from the Costco website but here it the link to Amazon for the same model.   The 15-18 ft cover reaches to cover the propane/electric jack and the rear spare tire.  Once the straps are secured, its a pretty nice fit.  

Classic Accessories SkyShield Travel Trailer Cover, 15'-18'FT

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-80-382-103001-EX-Travel-Trailer/dp/B01KHX27HS

I've only had it set-up for a couple weeks but so far it's working well and hasn't cost me a fortune.   Wanted to share in case others are considering similar options.

(Photos attached)

2020 Elite II, Hull 627, 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax

OliverInStorage.png

OliverInStorage2.png

• Like 6

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

• Moderators

That does look like a nice cover and for the price you can buy three for the price of a CalMark cover.  There doesn't appear to be an access door but again - for the price.

Let us know how it makes it through the winter.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

From the pics - it looks to me like this cover would fit with the solar panels in that there appears to be plenty of fabric below the step area on both sides.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, routlaw said:

@tallmandan are you saying this cover will not fit an Oliver that has solar panels mounted to the top? Its not clear to me from the photos but guessing it might not work with mounted panels.

I have the Oliver-installed solar panels on the roof.  Taped a block of foam to each corner of the panels to avoid a sharp edge against the cover.  It’s honestly a little too wide as it’s intended for the more standard 8 foot width but the length is just right. The included straps under the trailer pull it sung 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, topgun2 said:

That does look like a nice cover and for the price you can buy three for the price of a CalMark cover.  There doesn't appear to be an access door but again - for the price.

Let us know how it makes it through the winter.

Bill

Actually there are three zippers down the curb-side and I was able to access the door without removal after loosening the straps.  
will report back after the winter on how it held up.

tallmandan, 
That is a decent looking cover and priced reasonably for sure.👍🏻
We purchased our Calmark cover this past summer from the Oliver Service Center and it was $1295. It does have a zipper opening at the door to enter our Ollie and fits great.
-Patriot

34F39927-E0CC-4123-9836-2589182C89FB.thumb.jpeg.d274540c16ce4474610c841182481127.jpeg

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

A number of years ago - back in my "stickie days" I had a canvas cover made by ADCO.  It was fairly similar to the CalMark but a major difference was that the straps used for "snugging" the sides were only sewn onto the canvas at the bottom - apparently like this SkyShield Cover - while the CalMark straps encircle the entire camper.  With the CalMark design it is the straps that take the strain of tightening the cover down so it doesn't "flap" in the wind while the other design makes the material take that strain.  After three years, my ADCO needed repair to the material in several places because the material was pulling apart - not because it was torn by a sharp corner.

Even with this issue a strong case can still be made that for the price this SkyShield warrants a look.  Perhaps the addition of two or three two inch straps around the camper could be used to lessen this strain and prolong the service of the cover.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

Pool noodles are your friend.  The bigger the better.

Just slit them long ways and shove them onto the panels.  Don't forget to do the same with your rear bumper ends.

Bill

I was also thinking a cut to exact size piece of high density rigid insulation attached to the top of the solar panels would work to alleviate those sharp corners while also serving as a bit on protection from storms, hail and such.

Legacy Elite II #70

• 1 year later...

I just received a “PolyPRO 3” cover made by OVERDRIVE fromAmazon . This cover looks similar to the one earlier in this thread, except it is sized and sewn specific for “egg” campers from 13’ to 16’. Since my Legacy Elite is approximately 15 1/2 feet, I thought it would fit OK. Just completed a dry fit (didn’t cinch up the ties) and the fit is acceptable. I do not have solar, but I think it would cover the factory panels fine.  I’ll be putting it on for the winter sometime around Thanksgiving and we’ll see if it makes it through the winter. I am mostly concernecd about leaves and sticks since we live in the deep woods and do not have a way to keep it under a roof.

IMG_0156.png

IMG_6313.jpeg

• Like 2

LeBill

Elite I  Hull 1352  

2021 Jeep Gladiator

Northwestern NC (retired)

On 10/30/2021 at 7:14 PM, tallmandan said:

The included straps under the trailer pull it sung 

Well worth it for the price-point!!!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX