A Second New Direction: Kimberley T3 Kruiser

donthompson

Those of you who have owned an Oliver for many years may remember me.  I owned an Elite II for 4 years.  Replaced it with a Conqueror which was a big mistake.  Sold the Conqueror after owning it for less than a year and ordered a Kimberley from Australia.  Covid-19, supply chain issues and shipping delays caused me to be without a camper for almost a year and a half.  Finally, the T3 arrived and is being checked out and made ready for me by the distributor in Ohio.  Here are some photos.  It’s a rugged off-road camper with lots of luxury.  Technology is amazing:  over 900 watts of solar, 600 amp hours of lithium batteries, four wheel disk brakes, indoor and outdoor kitchen, tons of storage inside and out, etc.  I plan to pick it up in a couple of weeks and will do a short trip to North Carolina as a shakedown cruise.  Leaving mid-January for a lengthy trip West.

8DA4CBD1-E2B8-4979-B948-5F19A41D0979.jpeg

C32413B9-2FD2-4116-AABA-A5414881A015.jpeg

D1934182-EF56-4CCD-BE1E-5A82B5C83D99.jpeg

37F1C88A-6BD0-4B75-91B1-77A9CA434D8F.jpeg

907B5EB0-2C96-4451-AF9C-1A6D26A09692.jpeg

C101C9BB-23FB-414F-936C-71F48003F920.jpeg

0EFBFC32-B14C-47EF-960E-AF52479AD64C.jpeg

77C24BAE-16D7-479A-8EE0-EB9E2CD5CAAF.jpeg

F7C4654F-525E-4FAF-B29E-A2CA328B1E92.jpeg

Edited by donthompson
Added some things.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Wow, I have long lusted after those, would you mind sharing the US price? What will you pull it with? There is a lot of built on rock protection, but in your shoes I would add a Stone Stomper. What kind of coupler did you order? How are warranty claims handled?

For those who do not know, you can download a brochure here. …. https://info.kimberleykampers.com.au/download-off-road-caravan-tclass-usa-brochure

I attached a couple of screen captures.

I am looking forward to more details and some chassis pictures, before it gets too dirty 😬.

John Davies

Spokane WA

B7122516-4304-479D-A5FE-3ACC74F70619.jpeg

7FB0825B-E153-4849-9F6B-3055F1A71120.jpeg

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

In response to your questions, John, I chose the McHitch on the Kimberley and a Rhino hitch on the tow vehicle.  I’ll tow it with a Ram 2500 diesel. Because of the passage of time, I’m sure the price for mine is not the price you’d pay today if you ordered a T3.  I paid Kimberley $9500 for shipping from Australia and I think their cost to ship was around $17,000.  All in, mine was around $155,000 plus the $9500 shipping charge.  A lot of money, but it’s worth that amount of money to me.  I think I have some chassis photos—I’ll see if I can dig them up and post them.  Thanks for the tip on the Stone Stomper.

Warranty claims will be handled by Kimberley USA—David Bates’ company in Ohio.  He’s building a dealer network too. The company in Utah that was a big Black Series dealer dropped the Black Series and is all in with Kimberley.

I’ve dealt with David Bates before—he sold my Conqueror to me.  He is absolutely committed to supporting those of us who purchase Kimberleys.  He’s an automotive engineer and a very skilled technician.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Nice chassis, and really nice trailer, Don. Lots of features included in that very  big  price tag.

I hope you enjoy it for many years. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

John, do you have the Stone Stomper?  Looks great!  SeaDawg, it took me months to come to grips with the amount of money I had to spend on the T3, but like the Oliver, I think it will hold it’s value very well.  I don’t consider it a depreciating asset like the tow vehicle.  And, I’m 72 years old—no sense in compromising at this stage of my life!

• Like 3

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2504-how-to-stone-stomper-gravel-guard/

It works incredibly well on gravel and freshly chip sealed highway, NOT in thick gooey mud, it will get overloaded. Thin splashy mud is fine. It keeps all the chaos below the frame, but as a result it will sand blast your suspension and brakes. And on really wet highways it sends an enormous amount of road spray there. The back window of the TV stays clean and dry. You will need to fabricate some guards for the suspension in front of the axles. And perhaps for the steps.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2505-how-to-subframe-gravel-guard/

These mods will not keep the trailer clean on a wet ranch road, but they do protect the parts that matter, the A frame and front of the trailer, and the rear hatch and glass of the TV.

Highly recommended!

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Don, I am excited to hear about your adventures with this beauty.  I am always impressed with the quality and innovation coming out of Australia.

Question: Is it a true 4-season camper?  Thought I saw a video showing the tank (at least the gray) was outside?  Also, is the battery box insulated for cold weather to protect those Lithiums?

Many thanks and please post more as your adventure unfolds!

Cheers

Paul

Here is a 30 minute walk around, walk through video. The amount of storage is staggering.

T-Class 2021

I am a little concerned about having the electrical devices inside the front cargo bin. That area relies of a perfect water seal for the lid, the components appear to be set back under a protective ledge, but I would still be worried in a torrential rain storm at 60 mph.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Paul,

I don't consider this to be a true 4-season camper.  Kimberley winterizes all plumbing and water tanks for Kruisers shipped to the U.S. and includes tank heaters.  They also have a new composite wall material and roof material that adds to the insulation rating. Based on my discussions with David Bates, I don't think I'd tow the T3 that isn't winterized at temperatures below 28 degrees.  He suggested that the diesel heater will keep the cabin comfortable for sleeping in the mid-teens, but again, I wouldn't want to try to camp with water on board at these temps.  Because I typically leave Iowa in January or February to go south, I'll do what I did in the Oliver.  I'll leave with a winterized trailer and wait to add water until I get to a warmer climate.  

• Like 1

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

I just registered for the Rally at Lake Guntersville State Park.  I plan to camp at site G21 in my Kimberley T3.  Arriving on 5/18 and departing on 5/22.

• Like 3

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• 3 weeks later...

My plans have changed.  I also have plans to attend Expo West in Flagstaff, AZ and recently learned that it will be held in May rather than September.  The dates conflict with the Oliver Rally.  Kimberley USA wants me to have my T3 there and we’re planning a 4-5 day caravan after the rally.  I hate to miss the Oliver Rally—I was looking forward to seeing all of you again.

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators
2 hours ago, donthompson said:

I hate to miss the Oliver Rally—I was looking forward to seeing all of you again.

And we were looking forward to seeing you again as well as your new trailer.  Have a good time at Expo West and maybe 2023 will be the year you get back to Guntersville State Park.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 1 month later...

I can report on a few aspects of traveling in the T3.  First, the handoff in Bellefontaine, Ohio was very thorough.  I spent two full days with Dave Bates learning about the T3.  

When I planned my first trip from there, I thought I’d be able to drive south for a day and find warm enough weather to escape freezing temperatures at night.  This is my third night out and I’m near Dallas, Texas.  It’s been cold and windy with lows in the low 20’s.  Last night, the wind was blowing 20 mph with higher gusts.  After consulting with Dave, I winterized my drinking water tank and filled the general water tank 3/4 full.  The general tank is located near the Elwell Timberline diesel heater that provides both forced air heat and hot water.  I’ve been running the Elwell system using the diesel burner (it also has an electric burner) on hot water, not heat mode to concentrate the heat near the general water tank.  The T3 has a separate diesel heater under the bed which has kept the cabin very comfortable at night.  I have used the Elwell in heating mode to warm the cabin up quickly when I arrive at camp at night.  Compared to the Oliver, I don’t have the same level of confidence at 20 degrees as I did in the Oliver.  But, the comfort in the cabin is better in the T3 because of the two diesel heat sources.  

One of the biggest differences towing the T3 is the effectiveness of the disc brakes on all four wheels.  They are amazing.  Not only do they add a great deal of stopping power, they are also much easier to modulate and control.  They feel more like the brakes on a motor vehicle than a travel trailer.  

I also like the ease of leveling the T3.  Rather than power jacks, I have airbags that I control from inside the camper with a key fob. When I arrive at camp, I lower both sides completely and then use the key fob to raise the side that needs to be raised to level the trailer.  With the Rhino Hitch on my truck, I can raise the front of the T3 quite a ways without unhooking from the tow vehicle.  I’ve done this on 2 of my 3 nights out so far.  Nice to be able to level fore/aft without unhooking.

I haven’t used the outdoor kitchen yet—way to cold.  Hopefully in a few weeks it will be warm enough where I plan to travel to cook outdoors.  

Don

AA2CF7A7-C67D-401F-BD35-7F1678625865.jpeg

480A1085-D4CB-4F7D-BB57-86F8E2A99D01.jpeg

98E1223A-C455-423F-A15A-D30876F1FF8D.jpeg

• Like 7

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map