Lithium battery warehouse fire, uh oh!!!

John E Davies

Everyone Thought the Warehouse Was Abandoned. Then It Caught Fire. The cause of the fire—and what was inside—has potentially profound ramifications for our clean energy future.”

This warehouse fire is reminiscent of the Beirut explosion, in that case the warehouse was full of nitrate fertilizer, had been for YEARS, and nobody had a clue about it.

Massive lithium battery warehouse fire could not be extinguished

I have always been leery of the thermal runaway battery problem, it is not possible to have a modern phone or electric hedge trimmer that is risk free, but I try to keep all the many large batteries for the latter and for my cordless power tools out in the garage. I have a battery powered vac in the Ollie, I remove it for the off season. I have been reluctant to buy a hybrid or electric car for this same reason. 

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/battery-car-fires/

FYI the typical Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4 ) RV battery, like the Oliver ones, is very safe and does NOT have thermal runaway problems. And it is also very expensive. There is ONE portable jump starter (Viking, sold at Harbor Freight) that has this safe technology, to the best of my knowledge. The others are very dangerous, especially if left in a 140 degree car in mid summer.

Scary….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.