Sleeping arrangements twin bed or standard configuration?

Steve Roark

Hello, we are Steve and Tammy Roark and we are perspective owners. We live in southwest Missouri and have RVed for fifty years. We still have our Country Coach Motorhome but want to downsize. We use VRBO extensively but miss the RV lifestyle. 

We had the good fortune of seeing two Oliver Elite II’s, both in twin bed configuration. Thanks to Mike and Carol who showed us their unit while we were all visiting Branson and Steve from Rogersville up by Springfield Missouri. 

My wife and I often travel with our two German Shorthair Pointer dogs (70 and 45 pounds) and they each take turns sleeping with us. We are concerned that the twin bed model beds would not be big enough for us. 

So I saw where the gentleman that offers the nice wooden upgrades offers a center section for between the twins that would likely satisfy our pups and it appears to be easily removed for times when you want to leave the twin bed set up. We don’t think we want to lose the night stand by going with the standard model. 

But having said that does anyone leave the standard model bed set up as a bed full time. Looks like it would be at least a queen size. 

We know we will go with custom beds, so next question, can you make the twins wider by starting out at 30 inches then widen out by two or three inches once past the night stand area. 

Just searching for any tested ideas. 

Thank you

Steve and Tammy. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Steve Roark said:

But having said that does anyone leave the standard model bed set up as a bed full time. Looks like it would be at least a queen size. 

We know we will go with custom beds, so next question, can you make the twins wider by starting out at 30 inches then widen out by two or three inches once past the night stand area. 

First question - there are plenty of people that leave the "standard" bed as a bed full time.  In fact, I'd venture a guess that most people leave it that way.  Even though SeaDawg has the Elite I perhaps she will comment on the "problems" associated with leaving the bed setup in this manner - one of which is having to disturb your partner when getting up in the middle of the night.

Second question - I'm not sure I understand the question.  Other than adding something to fill in the space between the two twin beds such as Foy's creation, there isn't much to be done without either getting rid of the nightstand or making the aisle too narrow to be of much use.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I was reminded of this thread, where a number of people have made adjustments to the twin beds to create a king, from time to time. You may find it helpful, or at least interesting. Most of the Elite II's are ordered as twins, as it really opens up the visual space, and makes the trailer seem quite spacious, for its size, imo.

At least one person has converted the standard king to twins. I'm thinking it was AndrewK , but I'll look for the thread. Edit to add:

We have left the big dinette in our smaller Elite set up as a full size, east /west bed virtually since the beginning. It's not really comparable to the much bigger Elite II bed, as a)the bed space is east/west, 6'2" or so across the width of the trailer, and 53" or so deep.  B) the older Elites have a vertical pole from the back of the rear small dinette seat to the ceiling, which provides a good support in the night for the person who sleeps next to the rear hull if he/she has to climb over the other during the night.

Most importantly,  c) the extra length and width of a standard king bed in the Elite II  allows for a choice of east/west or north/south sleeping arrangements,  so climbover/crawlover becomes less of an issue, if that's your final choice. When we've rented camper vans with north/south beds, no issue at all to just scooch down the length. 

Our little dog sleeps on a bed in the rear dinette seat, by  my husband's head. I don't mind the climbover/crawlover bed so much, as I  rarely get up during the night anyway, and I'm still limber enough to manage the steps when I  do. Later in life, we'll see. 

Good luck in your decision,  but I'd personally go with the twins, and adjust as necessary,  if it were my choice to make. You can always make up the small dinette for the pooches, at night, as well. Because we bring our dog's bed from home, she knows that's "her" space.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Spanning the area between the twin beds doesn’t take advantage of the full space since the nightstand is there.  Plus, there is the issue of cushions/mattress to make the area level.  The “Twin Bed Conversion” post above is mine and after a year or so of experimenting with it we don’t really use it anymore, at least not the last couple of years.  

We don’t have big dogs, but it might get a little crowded with a big dog in a twin (30”) bed.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My wife and I have an Elite II standard floor plan on order.  We chose the standard floor plan for two reasons:  (1) it allows a 75"x79" king bed with no night stand in the middle and (2) when we recently toured an Elite II with the twin bed floor plan, we both felt a bit cramped lying on one of the twin beds, which the owner graciously allowed us to try.  I am a big guy and one shoulder hung off the side of the twin.  Not o.k. for me.

We plan to use the Elite II for just the two of us, and so will exclusively use the dinette area for meals, reading, etc., leaving the king bed "permanently" made up.

Hope this helps your decision.

Ralph Pond a/k/a Rivernerd (I am a catarafter and look kinda "white & nerdy")

No Hull# yet

Central Idaho

2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with tow package

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg