From my wife to the women here

John Welte

My wife likes to cook with her cast iron Dutch Oven over the coals in a fire pit.   Do any of you women (men cooks also can answer) use those and where would you stash that in the Oliver?   Second question,  how do you like the convection oven?   Can you think of any unasked questions that you might have answers to?   Is there anything that you found you liked especially or disliked in the trailer?   Asking for my wife.   Thanks. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

When our Dutch oven travels with us it’s usually only on short trips and has a place in the bed of the truck. On extended trips weight becomes more of an issue….We tend to come home with more in the truck then we left home with, and it’s usually pretty heavy stuff…. Like rocks…. so we try to pay attention to our payload to some extent.. 

We use the convection oven quite a bit and it works out great for us… we cook everything in it we use the oven at home. The only factor to keep in mind is the size of it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

We don’t use a Dutch oven, we mostly grill on the Weber or Blackstone and keep meals very simple.  We don’t have a convection oven but use the microwave occasionally to warm things up.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We like the convection microwave and can’t imagine not having a hot meal on a cold windy rainy night. ✔️ We have a Weber Q1200 that we use all the time when weather permits.
My wife has two Dutch ovens which she uses primarily for her homemade sourdough bread recipes. As for carrying one in our Oliver we don’t as it is boat anchor heavy and we likely would not use it enough to justify carrying it on trips.  
You will find a lot of opinions on likes and dislikes on the finer details of the Oliver which is certainly subjective. We weighed everything prior to ordering and read this forum extensively to help educate ourselves. It’s also important to determine how you intend to use your Oliver. Oliver owners FB page if you have a FB acct has at times interesting owner feedback. 

I suggest you take time to read through the Owners manuals and also Oliver University. This is great information that any owner or new potential owner should read prior to ordering an Oliver. The Oliver videos are also very well done.

- Patriot

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
14 hours ago, John Welte said:

where would you stash that in the Oliver? 

Whatever you decide on this question - do not stash it in a drawer.😁

Sorry for the bit of an inside joke here.  Back in the not so distant past there was an owner who stored cast iron cooking things in the drawers.  It took some time for this to become common knowledge. The owner also had serious problems with the kitchen drawers not wanting to stay shut when traveling around on curvy roads.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Like our other outdoor cooking gear, the Dutch oven resides in a box in the truck bed, if I carry it. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.