Are factory mods completely off the table now???

thatfield

Soon-to-be new owner here.  I put my deposit down in February for a LEII; taking delivery next month.  I'm not much of a social network person, but I thought maybe this was fairly useful info for prospective owners.  

Based on reading older posts, I started out with the impression that there were a variety of changes that one could request.  When it came time to finalize the order, I quickly learned the answer was "no."  Even something as simple as mix-and-match standard floor / cushion colors rather than just choosing "Desert" or one of the other standard decor combos.  I later read posts about how that flexibility has gone by the wayside.  I totally get it.  Demand is high, labor is scarce, etc.

I have also read about how you can now request changes after build through the Service Dept.  I thought ok, so manufacturing stays simpler and service makes more money.  

One option I did not choose was Cradlepoint.  I used to have their products and loved them.  But I don't love getting locked into an otherwise unnecessary subscription.  Further, according to the order sheet it's a 4G device and 5G is now going mainstream.  So I asked Service if they could just install the TAOGLAS antenna (the one they use with Cradlepoint anyway) after the build was done, and then I would bring my own 5G hotspot.  You guessed it ... "no."  So I guess I have my first project ...

That's quite disappointing, but I'm still excited to get my unit.

• Sad 1

• Moderators

There are others that can go farther back in Oliver history than I can but when we started looking 2015 there were very few Olivers on the road.  Time on the “assembly line” was longer.  There were not nearly as many units for service to work on.   So, flexibility for mods and service projects was there. As Oliver went from one hundred trailers then to 1,000 or more now it resulted in that flexibility necessarily going away.  I think you’ve got it figured out.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The cradlepoint is one of my hangups as well. As you noted the required subscription and the 2x2 antenna that is not going to work (at least well) with 5G is a no go. I would probably opt out and have to install a more capable system later. 

Thanks for that information.  With my order finalization coming up within a month, I have been researching the Cradlepoint and coming up with the same sorts of limitations you mention.  And this answers one of my big questions on the separate installation of the Taoglas antenna.  I'm interested in the possibility of a self-installation of a more up to date antenna.  I'd think it would need to be placed in the front of the trailer to avoid blockage by the A/C unit.  I wonder how difficult it would be to snake the multiple-cable bundle from that location back to one of the cabinets.  I have seen postings on mounting a camera over the attic and that looks pretty straighforward, but have not seen anything on punching through the front end of the roof.  

2016 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Max Tow | 2022 Oliver Elite II - Hull#1034 'Hullabaloo' 

On 11/8/2021 at 3:07 PM, thatfield said:

Soon-to-be new owner here.  I put my deposit down in February for a LEII; taking delivery next month.  I'm not much of a social network person, but I thought maybe this was fairly useful info for prospective owners.  

Based on reading older posts, I started out with the impression that there were a variety of changes that one could request.  When it came time to finalize the order, I quickly learned the answer was "no."  Even something as simple as mix-and-match standard floor / cushion colors rather than just choosing "Desert" or one of the other standard decor combos.  I later read posts about how that flexibility has gone by the wayside.  I totally get it.  Demand is high, labor is scarce, etc.

I have also read about how you can now request changes after build through the Service Dept.  I thought ok, so manufacturing stays simpler and service makes more money.  

One option I did not choose was Cradlepoint.  I used to have their products and loved them.  But I don't love getting locked into an otherwise unnecessary subscription.  Further, according to the order sheet it's a 4G device and 5G is now going mainstream.  So I asked Service if they could just install the TAOGLAS antenna (the one they use with Cradlepoint anyway) after the build was done, and then I would bring my own 5G hotspot.  You guessed it ... "no."  So I guess I have my first project ...

That's quite disappointing, but I'm still excited to get my unit.

I would say that you get your trailer the way you want it, We ordered the standard Elite II in 2019 with only 4 options. Convection Oven, Propane quick disconnects, Electronic Door Lock, and Bicycle Rack. We have the standard white counter tops which looks classier then the colored ones, we think, no electronic upgrades, no solar, or upper cost batteries. With cell phones what they are today and a Hotspot you will find yourself pretty well connect where most places you will go, or go to a McDonald's and use there WIFI.

To your thinking about resale on your trailer, first let me say here at the speed that electronics are changing everyday what you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow. Plus your Oliver is equipped from the factory where all there accessories can be added at there service department if wanted. So anyone purchasing your trailer used can take it to Oliver and have it upgraded to the newest stuff on the market today, I would worry about resale.  

Not sure about the Taoglas Antenna, but will look into it, I will say here the factory accessory roof antenna for TV is not very good, I didn't order mine with one and use the King Omni portable antenna and plug it into the auxiliary antenna plug on the outside of the trailer, works much then our other Oliver camping buddies with the factory antenna. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.