Four 6v AGM Batteries Recharging Requirements

Islandgrl

*I definitely am a newbie here so, please be patient with my battery questions.  I want to ensure we have everything in place before we pick up our Ollie and understand what the maintenance may look like moving forward. We have read the forum answers regarding batteries,  but still find we have the questions that follow: 

Questions:

-How long can the 6v AGM batteries stay in the Ollie while covered and in storage before they deplete their charge and should be recharged?

- Can we alleviate pulling the batteries out and charging the batteries by having the Ollie plugged in all the time?  If so, do we literally just keep it plugged in? I am assuming because we use a 30amp plug the outlet must support that as well and not just plug into a 110 outlet with an extension cord.  Is this correct?

- Since we have X4 6v AGM batteries I read you can put two in series and charge them as one big 12v.  Does that mean we have to have two charges since we have four batteries (a charger per 12v series)? Once their charged to 100% how long are they expected to be good for before needing a new charge if they’re not in the Ollie?

- If we chose not to pull the batteries and charge them while our Ollie is in storage can’t we just allow time to pull the batteries and charge them when we pull it out of storage and prior to hitting the road again?  What will it do to the batteries? I’m sure they’d be dead after being in storage 6-8 months.  Could we just plug into a 2200 generator and let it run while the batteries charge as another option?

Thank you for your patience and advice.  One day at a time, trying to learn every day. 

Mahalo,

M&K

• Like 1

Hawaii / 2021RAM 2500 Power Wagon 6.4L / Elite II ~Delivery May 2022

Relaxed.jpg.3d7892cc86c3852d4142aabebc15cd93.jpg

• Moderators

I’m reading two issues here - winterization and batteries.  Storing in PA or VA you’ll have to winterize.  Storing in CA or AZ it depends.  Where in CA or AZ?  Both have regions where you would need to winterize.

On my trailer when I had AGMs, Blue Sky solar controller and PD 4045 converter I just left the trailer plugged into a 20a outlet for up to 3 months and the batteries stayed charged.  I don’t know about the current set up with the Zamp hardware or if it even makes a difference.  If it is just in storage a normal 110 outlet should be fine if the trailer is just sitting there without anything being used.  I’m sure an electrical guru will chime in on this!  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thank you Mike for the quick response!  I did some more research (learned way more about batteries then I probably need to know) and we are researching more how to winterize.  We will winterize when it's being stored in VA the first year and until we can get the Oliver stored in Southern CA where it won't need to be.  

We are intending on pulling our 4 6v AGM batteries and charging them since we won't have access to a constant electric source when it is being stored.  I don't see any other way around this since we don't want to store it uncovered, allowing the solar to charge the batteries.  

Mahalo,

M&K

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

You could always use a small portable solar panel to charge your batteries like several owners on the Forum do (me included).  Of course this depends on a number of factors - access to sun (i.e. lack of shade), secure enough place such that someone doesn't walk away with your panel, etc. I use a 25 watt panel which I think is the bare minimum that you could get away given the 4 batteries and I make sure that these batteries are fully charged before putting the Ollie into storage.

P1020093.JPG

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

This looks like a viable option and so much easier actually then pulling our batteries out since we won't have to worry about theft where we are storing it initially in VA. Where would this connect on our Ollie E2?  Is there an adapter on it?  Also, if you don't mind can you share the info on your solar panel? Thank much! 

Mahalo,

M&K

1 minute ago, Islandgrl said:

This looks like a viable option and so much easier actually then pulling our batteries out since we won't have to worry about theft where we are storing it initially in VA. Where would this connect on our Ollie E2?  Is there an adapter on it?  Also, if you don't mind can you share the info on your solar panel? Thank much! 

Mahalo,

M&K

If you have the solar set up you should have the external two prong port - not sure what the new units use, and any decent smaller array with a controller will do the job. Amazon has many choices. But I'm sure someone will chime in with details. 

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Since my Elite II didn't come with one of those fancy solar plugin ports, I simply took one of THESE and wired it as seen in the photo above.  Then all I have to do is connect my regular wiring pigtail that is normally connected to my tow vehicle to the solar panel.

Having said this and since I believe that you are getting an Oliver that has the solar port, I'd simply do what BackofBeyond recommends above.

My specific brand of panel is not sold under its same name anymore.  However, again as BackofBeyond mentions, there are plenty to chose from.  I would not buy one bigger than 100 watts or smaller than 25 watts - the smaller = cheaper (make sure that the panel has a solar charge controller included) and also = less money lost in the event of damage or it growing feet where it walks away.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thank you very much you guys for all the feedback and advice!  Now, time to research a good solar panel to purchase that falls within the parameters needed.  I'll also verify with Oliver what my 2022 model will have as far as ports available.  You've been a great help! 

Mahalo,

M&K

• 2 weeks later...

@Islandgrl  I have our Elite II (with solar roof panels and 4 AGM batteries) in storage now for the winter.  I wrote a post about a cover I found and a 100w Renogy portable solar panel that I am using to keep the batteries charged while the rooftop solar panels are covered.  Its in the "General Discussions" forum.  It's been in storage for about a month and the external solar panel is working great to keep the batteries fully charged.  The panel has it's own waterproof charge controller on the back of the panel and the included battery cable/clips stretch to attach directly to the battery bank.  With the cable routed to the bottom corner of the battery compartment door, you can fully close and lock the door.

My external panel is only receiving morning sun by its location but that has been enough so far.  This Renogy external solar set-up is good quality and I plan on using it to supplement the roof panels if/when I end up camped in a shaded spot by purchasing a 30 ft cord.

2020 Elite II, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax diesel 

• Like 1

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado