Insurance

John Welte

We have our pop up trailer insured with Progressive.   What insurance company is everyone using?   Pros and cons of certain companies?

I found covered RV storage with electricity 35-40 feet deep with open front for $250/month.  Portland, Oregon area.   These are the last few items my wife wanted to get answers to before we place our order.   Thanks for any answers. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

I would recommend that you contact the folks at Good Sam.  I went to them and they set me up with National General Insurance for a "full replacement cost" policy that is less than $500 a year.  They also give you a discount for long term storage if you let Ollie sleep during the winter months.  Just call and tell them you are putting it into storage and then call again when you plan to put it back on the road.

• Like 6

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators

We have used good Sam's since day one, 14 years, for the same reasons @LongStride stated. Reasonable rates. 

We also use their roadside service. Their top plan covers not only our Ollie, but rentals, in Canada and Mexico, and covers tow of tv and trailer.

The only annoying thing about good Sam's is their pretty much constant stream of mailers and emails, encouraging you to re-up early, etc.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 11/22/2021 at 4:42 AM, LongStride said:

I would recommend that you contact the folks at Good Sam.  I went to them and they set me up with National General Insurance for a "full replacement cost" policy that is less than $500 a year.  They also give you a discount for long term storage if you let Ollie sleep during the winter months.  Just call and tell them you are putting it into storage and then call again when you plan to put it back on the road.

I just spoke with Good Sam about insurance.  1) they wouldn't insure the RV only, but insisted on insurance for both the RV and TV and 2) the quote was for $2622 per year.  That's a bit more than $500 a year...  Time to call our own insurance company.

mb

• Wow 3

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

The rate can vary wildly, depending on your own data (driving record, claims, towing experience) and where and how the trailer is stored. My Progressive RV policy is $465 per year, stored in a secure indoor location at my home. Sometimes they will try to bundle roadside assistance, you can decline that if you have that already.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, VBistro said:

I just spoke with Good Sam about insurance.  1) they wouldn't insure the RV only, but insisted on insurance for both the RV and TV and 2) the quote was for $2622 per year.  That's a bit more than $500 a year...  Time to call our own insurance company.

mb

That would be something new. Our vehicle insurance is with a different company. 

Unless this is something because if your home state rules, I'd try another call, and see if a different rep has a different answer.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I agree with @SeaDawg, something does not sound right.  The rate seems excessive to me but as @John E Daviespoints out there are many factors that affect that.  The thing that really gives me pause is that they refused to insure your trailer unless you insured your tow vehicle with them as well.  Give Good Sam another call and share your experience with them.  You may have just connected with a bad agent who was trying to take advantage of you.

• Like 4

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

Thanks @LongStride and @SeaDawg  I will call again on Friday. 

interesting data point, this quote is also quite a bit lower than that from my current insurance…though not a direct apples to apples comparison (agreed value on the TV vs actual cash value). 

this will teach me to wait until 4 days before camper pick-up to remember I needed to get insurance quotes. Made even more tight by the holiday. 

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

3 hours ago, VBistro said:

mb

We have the Ollie insured with Good Sam Insurance, tow vehicle is insured by another company.  Colorado Good Sam quote was something like $700/yr.  Full Replacement coverage.  They tried to sell me insurance for tow vehicle and other vehicles in household but I declined.  Something is not adding up with the quote they gave you.  I hope you get it sorted.

If you live in CO and will register the trailer there, wait til you find out how much the State wants for annual registration.  That'll flip your other sock.

• Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, VBistro said:

this will teach me to wait until 4 days before camper pick-up to remember I needed to get insurance quotes.

Yes - I believe that it is TN State law that requires proof of insurance prior to delivery.  Good luck!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Yes - I believe that it is TN State law that requires proof of insurance prior to delivery.  Good luck!

Bill

We do have automatic insurance coverage for 30 days with our current provider, so I at least know I am covered for the drive home.  At a premium!  LOL

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg