Windows question

Dwainkitchens

I am a few years out before purchasing, but I love exploring🙂!

I love what I see in the Oliver, and would lean toward Legacy Elite.  I know there is no comparison in the overall quality to Airstream, but I like the front and back wrap around windows in the AS 16RB. Perhaps I would not want this once camping and may prefer the privacy of not having windows in the front. Your thoughts?

Also, does the back window provide adequate viewing if your lying in bed and backed up to mountains etc...

Thanks for any replies!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Dwain

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Dwainkitchens said:

Also, does the back window provide adequate viewing if your lying in bed and backed up to mountains etc...

Thanks for any replies!

Yes, it sure does. I've personally considered front windows to be problematic (rock chops, etc.).  One more thing to worry about. Or rock guards to take on and off.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 Ă— 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Tough question that only you can answer for yourself.

The only time I've wanted larger windows in my Elite II is when watching a bear, deer, moose, elk walk through my campsite - this would have saved me from having to jump from window to window.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

More and larger windows would be great.  Some of the places we’ve camped lend themselves to just sitting and taking in the scenery.  I agree with Sherry that a front window would be cool once on site, but if you don’t protect it while traveling it will end up chipped or cracked.  Some come with a cover that you use while traveling.  The back window offers a view, but it isn’t a large window.  I wish all the windows were larger but am happy with what we have.  Also, maybe a small window in the kitchen, could be used as a pass through to the grill master outside!

Here’s a shot out the back window when we were camped at Indian Cove Campground in Joshua Tree National Park in January a few years ago.

4FCCA140-42B9-4833-8DD5-C765E652C7C9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I think Topgun2 is right, you can only answer this question for yourself.

A close friend just purchased an Airsteam for this exact reason.  He liked being surrounded by windows and I will admit, in the right campground, it's a plus.  One consideration is to think about the type of camping you're likely to do.  Boondocking and remote campsites will offer great views.   However, these days I find for the most part, campgrounds are  conjested with not much space between the sites.  Add to that someone pulls in next to you with a slide and you're window to window.  Times like these I'm happy for the Oliver's strategic placement of windows.  Also, we spend most of our time outside the trailer when camping.

Best of luck on your decision.

John

• Like 3

Big Texas – 2018 Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #306

2015 RAM 1500 3L EcoDiesel, Anderson hitch

Thanks everyone!

Yes, difficult decision.  One thing that makes me lean toward Oliver is the quality, but also 3 tanks. The AS 16 only has a combination grey/black, not separate.  State and National Parks would probably be difficult staying for more than 2 days.  Oliver also has bigger fridge, 4.7 compared to 3.1.

I just wish Oliver would consider a different design with more windows.

Dwain

We have only had our LE2 for a few months and prefer dry camping locations.  We are grateful for the window placement and haven’t lacked view spots due to window size.  Below picture is taken from inside our LE2 at Cape Disappointment State Park located in Ilwaco Washington. 

065D5D0B-D70F-4D74-949F-DD3981036DE1.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

TV 2018 F150 3.5 liter eco-boost with max tow package, hull #836 “LC”

Here is Muncho Lake BC.

0D576A29-687B-48B1-B2F2-D2F961A4DE85.thumb.jpeg.e098902c712ea04d90a660a07c5e8b0f.jpeg

One easy mod you can do is remove both Exit stickers from the glass, and put a single one above the window opening. That way your eye does not focus on the stickers. I also removed the screen permanently, we never open that window, so that improves the view.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.