How can I remove the window screens?

Faust

We just bought a used Ollie and the former owner ran a plug in air freshener in there for, I'm assuming, the 3 years they owned it.  The smell has saturated every bit of fabric and screen material in the camper.  I'm thinking we need to even replace all the screens as they smell super strong.  I cannot figure out how to remove them easily...I'm afraid I will break them!  Does anyone have any tips or help?  much appreciated!

• Care 1

• Moderators

Faust - 

Yes, you can remove them and some are more difficult to remove than others.  In my case, the bathroom window always gives me trouble.

With the main windows on each side of your Oliver you should be able to slide these screens in the tracks.  In doing this you can note that they are held in place via springs (kind of like a leaf spring on a truck).  Normally these springs are at the bottom of the screen but if the previous owner reversed them they may be at the top.  In either case, press the screen towards the spring.  Once it is depressed enough, you should be able to slide the end opposite from the screen towards you and from there it is easy to get out of the track.  The rear window (at least on the Elite II has a red tab at the bottom of the screen.  Pull the tab up and towards you to release the screen.

If you decide to replace the screen material - get the "small insect" screening (available at Lowes, Home Depot and Ace).  This will help keep very small critters out.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I'll leave the removal process to others. In my 2008, the slide up a bit, flex a bit, and out they come. Rear window us a bigger pain, though.

Don't give up on the air freshener smell til you've removed them, hosed them down with a bit of laundry detergent, and left outdoors for a bit. 

I don't like artificial fresheners, either. I get it. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We’re not air freshener people either.  Bill’s method for removing the screens is how I do it.  I’d get a bucket of soapy water (Dawn), lay the screens on the driveway and scrub them good.  I don’t think they absorb odors and whatever is on the surface should get washed away by the Dawn.  I usually wash the screens after each long trip when I do the windows.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks guys...I did get them to come out, however, now I cannot seem to get them past the frame that holds the window shades without really bending or breaking the frame that holds the screen.  Is there an easy way to remove that whole assembly...the shades?  because I will no doubt need to hose them down too.  the smell is just awful  

• Moderators

The shades are held on by a couple of clips on the bottom and the top hooks over a metal piece.  Put your hand behind the bottom of the shade and you should be able to feel the two on the bottom.  A light tug at that point and they should pop off.  Then lift up, the top sits on a couple of brackets, it should come right down.  Lay them out in the sun to see if that helps.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

okay I got them off!!  shades are in the sun, mattresses are in the sun with baking soda all over them.  screens are in the tub soaking.  I'm telling you every square inch of this smells like a glade frebreze plug in.  hope I can get it out ....what a way to ruin an Oliver for someone who hates that smell

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Faust said:

I'm telling you every square inch of this smells like a glade frebreze plug in.

You lucky devil - my most very favorite (NOT)😝.

As Mike said - those screens should come clean of the smell since they are made of fiberglass.  If not for some reason they are fairly simple to replace.

If you decide to "scrub" the shades - do so with a gentle hand.  Both the shades and the operating cords can be damaged if not treated with care.

Don't forget to take the air conditioner filter out and (at least) wash it.  Again, these are fairly easy to replace if you can't get the smell out.

The rest of the interior is reasonably to wash down and polish.  Perhaps the rubber mats that line the "floor" or each of the cabinets could use a scrubbing too.

Let us know how it goes.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

oh yes thanks for the reminder about the air conditioner filter!!  and I didn't realize the liners of the cabinets come out too, so I'll air them out as well.  so far testing on the screens (for anyone in the future that has this problem) I've used:  
alcohol and essential oils, nope.  
Pure ammonia wiped on then let sit for a few minutes before soaking in water with ammonia added, nope.  
Purple Power, nope.  
I'm going to get them air out over the winter in a cold place and see how they are in the spring.

Too bad too...because I think we are going to have to replace the cushions.  they are like brand new and the upgraded material.  they completely wreak.

• Wow 1

The rubber in the closets and cargo area also lift out. The cushion covers can go in the washing machine, gentle, cold, dry flat. The foam may have to be replaced, but sitting outside over the winter might work for them, prop them up so air can circulate.

I have to ask, didn’t you notice the smell before you bought it?  Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

it is the strangest thing...I'm very attune to these kind of smells and we didn't notice it after we drove 18 hours to look at it.  the owner did say it has been sitting with the windows open for a few days.  it still puzzles me how I didn't notice it...I think I was just so excited!  I did notice it the next night when we went to sleep in it on the way home.  then after it was shut up for a few days it was super noticeable.  I think it will be okay after we air it out over the winter and replace the fabrics, etc.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Faust said:

does anyone know where to buy replacement storage compartment liner material?

Instead of replacing with "rubber" material, I purchased cedar closet lining at Lowes, used the black mats as a pattern.

Bill

P1010228.JPG

• Like 1