Bike rack receiver question.

Boonter Jeff

Hi All, I have read some of the posts about the 1 1/4” receiver option.  One thing that I am confused about is whether the bikes, rack, and receiver assembly have to be removed before you drain your gray and black tanks.  On one youtube video that Oliver did, they removed the whole assembly but that might have been just to get at the spare tire.  If anyone can clarify this, it would be appreciated.  Thanks!

image.jpeg.7fccb45a33615b2deaeeaeedc4bbbfcb.jpeg

We have a " one up bike rack" that we got off the internet. It is all aluminum. We got the one that also has a sleeve so it can be used on a 2 inch or 1 1/2 inch hitch.  I ocassionaly have to tighten a couple of set screws. Been a lot of places uneventfully. Not a problem for spare tire or sewer line.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mark Patricia said:

We have a " one up bike rack" that we got off the internet. It is all aluminum. We got the one that also has a sleeve so it can be used on a 2 inch or 1 1/2 inch hitch.  I ocassionaly have to tighten a couple of set screws. Been a lot of places uneventfully. Not a problem for spare tire or sewer line.

Are you aware that that model is probably not approved for use on a trailer? How much weight do you carry? Got pics? Thanks.

“Heavy Duty and Super Duty Racks are rated for RV and travel-trailer usage. Two bike maximum with only the 2-in. hitch-bar models.”

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

22 hours ago, John E Davies said:

with only the 2-in. hitch-bar models.

That's correct. There are currently no travel-trailer approved bike racks with the 1.25" bar. That means there are no travel-trailer approved racks that will fit the new factory-installed Oliver bumper receiver. (Unless someone has been able to find one that I couldn't. If so, please post the info.)

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

1 hour ago, dewdev said:

Did you check the Thule Bike Racks? They have ones for 1-1/2" receivers.

The only one they approve for towed RV use is the Thule Range, which has a 2" bar. Manufacturers have different standards for motorhome racks vs. trailer racks. Some 1.25" racks are approved for the back of motorhomes but I can't find any 1.25" approved for the back of a trailer or fifth wheel. It's a problem with Oliver's newer rear receivers.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

I purchased the Oliver bumper, pulled their receiver off and replaced with a modified 2" for the reason mentioned above.  The stresses on a hitch bobbing around on a travel trailer was concerning enough that I felt a "travel trailer" approved hitch was prudent.  Oliver supplying a 1.25" hitch receiver is crazy making.  If I was ordering the trailer again, I'd ask that the supply the bumper without a receiver and no holes drilled.  It would be super easy to buy a 2" receiver plate and bolt it down myself.

• Like 6

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

• 2 weeks later...

I have the bike rack and it doesn't interfere with the sewer drain, but let me say this it is still a reach to get the sewer hose connected with, or without the bicycle rack in place.  Your still going to have to get down on your all-fours and reach back up in there to make the hookup.  There are two solutions to this problem, purchase a Camco 6" extension, or leave your sewer hose connected, I'm not crazy about either one.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

1 hour ago, Trainman said:

leave your sewer hose connected, I'm not crazy about either one.

I tried that, and the hose split wide open eventually at the sharp bend because the bumper was pushing on it too hard. lesson learned. Do not leave the hose connected while traveling

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

We have had our sewer hose permanently connected for over 14 years on two different Oliver's with no problems. I can't see any reason to do it any other way. It's way too hard to get down and hook up every time for me. 

• Like 7

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Ditto.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I like the idea of leaving the hose connected.  I wonder, those of you that are doing that, are you using the stock drain hose that Oliver provides?  That whole getting down on your hands and knees isn’t particularly appealing.

I’m thinking about bikes in the back of the truck instead of the rear of the trailer.  However my wife thinks that the receiver hitch is a good idea and if 46 years of marriage has taught me anything…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

image.jpeg.7fccb45a33615b2deaeeaeedc4bbbfcb.jpeg

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Boonter Jeff said:

I like the idea of leaving the hose connected.  I wonder, those of you that are doing that, are you using the stock drain hose that Oliver provides?  That whole getting down on your hands and knees isn’t particularly appealing.

I’m thinking about bikes in the back of the truck instead of the rear of the trailer.  However my wife thinks that the receiver hitch is a good idea and if 46 years of marriage has taught me anything…..

I used the Oliver provided hose for a year or so.  It’s now back up.  I got a Valterra hose that scrunches up to about 5’ and stays there when not using it.  That was 4 or 5 years ago.  I might have removed it once but it’s been attached for years.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Boonter Jeff said:

We've replaced the hose a few times over the last 14 years. We don't wait for a failure. Like tires, 4 or 5 years, change it out. Even the better ones.

Our first "stock" hose was replaced within a year or so. Just didn't like the light weight. I have no idea what the stock hose is, these days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

My "stinky slinky" has been connected for 140,000 miles.  I purchased the stoutest hose with the thickest mil to protect against punctures and I never lay it across the ground where rocks and other sharp objects might poke at it, instead, it is cradled in one of those sloping, expandable gizmos.  That does two things for me, it keeps the hose off the ground and provides a continuous downhill vector so things don't get backed up, avoiding stress on the hose.

Caveat:  There was a two year period, out of fourteen, when I had a macerator installed, but after 2 failures !!!!**!!!! I've returned to good old gravity motive flow.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 11/29/2021 at 9:37 PM, Mark Patricia said:

On 11/30/2021 at 8:35 AM, John E Davies said:

Are you aware that that model is probably not approved for use on a trailer? How much weight do you carry? Got pics? Thanks.

“Heavy Duty and Super Duty Racks are rated for RV and travel-trailer usage. Two bike maximum with only the 2-in. hitch-bar models.”

John Davies

Spokane WA

I’m in the process of buying a bike rack - been all over this forum reading about the issues with the current 1.25” hitch, the complete absence of 1.25” hitch bike racks approved for TTs, and that (as John points out) the only bike racks approved for TTs need a 2” hitch. Really glad to have this forum to consult. I’ve requested more info from Oliver, & a bike rack manufacturer, and am waiting for replies. 

So, on to my Q: Mark - Do you have a the 1UP “Equip D Double”? How long have you been using it on your Oliver? How heavy are your bikes? If you’ve driven on interstates, how does the bike rack handle the severe dips/bumps when traveling over the bridge seams at 65 mph? Thanks!

• Like 2

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA

Yes that's the model I have  We have been lots of places over all kind of roads. Our bikes are both Schwinn lightweight mine is all aluminum. The wife's is a 24 inch. I put thread lock on the set screw  And so far that has stopped it loosening  I certainly wouldn't want a heavy bike there. Are trailer is a 2019 hull 564

• Like 3