How to remove kitchen faucet?

Hello everyone,

Our new to us 2019 LEII, hull#515 came from a region with really hard water.  We struggled with water pressure throughout and found a blockage in the toilet water valve with bits of calcium.  Just replaced the Fontana outdoor shower faucet as the hot side had no flow.  Also during the outdoor shower troubleshooting I treated the water system with a vinegar/water solution and flushed the hot water heater where we found a lot of calcium deposits.

Now the kitchen faucet will not turn on.  As in, the handle will not move in the direction it needs to to turn on.  It moves ok left and right for hot/cold but not forward and back.  So I'm going to replace the faucet.

My question is to those who have removed the original faucet and installed a new one, it looks to me that the kitchen sink needs to be removed to be able to get eyes and tools in place to remove the faucet from the sink.  Is this the way you did it or are you able to see and reach up behind the sink?

There appears to be 2 set screws on the hold down nut for the faucet, then unscrew the hex nut that holds the faucet in place.

Am I missing something here?

EE3B16D1-D481-40A7-ADC9-E0614654904D.heic

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II 

2021 F150 PowerBoost Hybrid

• Moderators

I replaced my faucet a few years ago with a Delta adjustable spray faucet I got on Amazon.  Removing the faucet in the trailer is the same as in your house.  I did not remove the sink, you just have to reach up behind to find the big nut that holds the faucet in place.  I did take out all of the drawers.  

We were getting some hard water deposits in our lines as well.  We now use a softener, it’s a small unit that easily fits in the basement when we travel.  It recharges with regular table salt.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks Mike,

I'll get out there in the morning and see how it goes.  I'm not sure I can reach up behind the sink long enough to get the faucet undone due to neck issues, and I know I can't see what I'm doing there. 

The attachment in my original post is a picture of the bottom of the faucet.  There are two set screws that I suppose keep the nut that holds the faucet in place from loosening.  I think all this faucet assembly to the sink was done before the sink was installed.  That's my reasoning for removing the sink first.

I will look into a water softener once we get this faucet repaired; I appreciate the suggestion.

Dave

• Like 1

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II 

2021 F150 PowerBoost Hybrid

19 minutes ago, DaveWilkins said:

I'm not sure I can reach up behind the sink long enough to get the faucet undone due to neck issues, and I know I can't see what I'm doing there. 

I don't own an Ollie yet, but I have installed and replaced about a dozen faucets in homes we have owned (and built) over the years. 

It appears to me from photos that with all three drawers under the sink removed, you should be able to squeeze your body into position to reach the faucet.

I have two torn rotator cuffs that make it difficult for me to raise my hands over my head for very long.  So, when replacing a faucet lying on my back under a cabinet, I work a bit, drop my arms and rest, work a bit, rest, etc.  I wear an adjustable headlamp to see what I'm doing when underneath a sink.   And, I pad the places where my back rests on the the cabinet with towels, for comfort.  It's not my favorite task, but it beats watching someone else charge me for their time!

Like you, I always prefer to DIY. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Rivernerd described my process exactly.  Drawers out, lay on back, arms up for as long as possible, down for rest, arms back up, down, up, down….job complete!  It was also a little tricky getting back up to a standing position!  The pleasures of growing old….  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS