I know this will be controversial.

Steve Roark

We vacationed in Utah this September October. We saw three travel trailers pulling aluminum trailers with AtV utv behind talked with one guy with a Big Foot. He pulls his four seat ATV all over Canada and USA with no problems. 

Has anyone modified the Elite II to tow a small trailer/with AtV?

I don't know about modifying an Oliver for this, but I do know that some states do not allow double towing. Here's some info about that: https://drivinvibin.com/2021/03/16/double-tow/

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve looked into this a little bit. I’m not sure if some states like Michigan require a 5th wheel behind the truck to pull doubles. The Oliver wouldn’t make a very good trailer for this IMO. Too hard and expensive to make the modifications to support the weight.  If you have a heavy duty pickup the Marlon rack might be an option…

5848EE3C-58A7-4965-8540-FF61883A7DF5.thumb.jpeg.18a1194dc5e1fd9cac435ba469d78556.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators

A bit off topic but with this mod it is the bed of the truck that gets "modified".  There was a Forum member that did type of mod a few years ago and as I recall he never had any issues.  I'm sure that there is a picture of his rig here somewhere and will post it back here if I can find it in the next day or so.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

About half the states allow double towing (some call it triple, since it involves three units,) but it's most often legal with a fifth wheel, and sometimes requires a special (cdl) license or license endorsement.  

Much of the east coast bans it, including Florida,  for non-commercial traffic. Every state that allows it has specific rules and regulations.  

I think it would be a poor choice to try to modify an Oliver for the few states that actually allow bumper pull double tows. It stresses the tow vehicle, and the limits of the driver's skills, imo.

One of our most beloved original members (and our original admin) mountainborn, towed a small pickup behind his 5th wheel, for a few years. When they entered a state where it wasn't legal, they unhitched the little truck, and his wife Betty drove it. 

Mountainborn, however, not only had a fifth wheel trailer at the time, but had some pretty amazing driving skills and experience. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Depends on weight obviously but if your truck is capable you might look into Diamondback covers.  I have one (light version) on my GMC 2500 and I love it.  It makes your truck bed like a vault and if you buy the HD version of the cover you can load 1600 lbs on top of it.

3B3C7716-9410-472C-9C76-063D14BE9C86.png

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

Another option to keep the COG lower in the truck is to use the hitch to provide rear support and park in the bed (assuming the sxs et al is less than 50” wide). I really like this support by hehitch, but I’m not sure if they’re still in business. Should be pretty easy to fab up…41A14691-2A1D-4B5E-9DAB-EC08AFFD4868.thumb.jpeg.fa7e95c27f9b378fdc4ae188f51cdbd6.jpeg

10 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

Another option to keep the COG lower in the truck is to use the hitch to provide rear support and park in the bed (assuming the sxs et al is less than 50” wide). I really like this support by hehitch, but I’m not sure if they’re still in business. Should be pretty easy to fab up…41A14691-2A1D-4B5E-9DAB-EC08AFFD4868.thumb.jpeg.fa7e95c27f9b378fdc4ae188f51cdbd6.jpeg

These are all great options for carrying atv and utv’s although  the weight factor and having to put a very long extension on the back hitch for towing a trailer, it may work at first. I’m sure you’ll find your hitch will have worn out in a very short time. Making a bad situation when on the road.  If this is what you want, I would consider looking at a ATC ( aluminum trailer Company) toy hauler all aluminum custom made size’s and good build  quality like the Oliver,

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

It’s all about having options. Normal setup might include kayaks, sup’s, bikes, and supplies. However, one winter I might want to haul down a small wave runner to Big Pine Key.  A different time it might be a SxS to Utah for a month.  Putting anything in the bed is obviously for 3/4 ton trucks and up. Most of these have a 2k tongue rating vs a 500lb on a half ton. Weight added to the hitch might only be 300 ish lbs and the extension length would be determined by the tailgate clearance.  The setup will probably rust out decades before it's worn out as I live in Michigan.  I buy for 90 percent of my mission, the rest I modify or rent. 

Hitch extensions significantly lower the capacity rating of the ball and increase the propensity for sway by moving the pivot point farther from the truck's rear axle.

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

5 hours ago, Landrover said:

If this is what you want, I would consider looking at a ATC ( aluminum trailer Company) toy hauler

Those are really nice and their smallest travel trailer (model 2015) is about the same price point as an Ollie. Pluses: toy hauler/tons of storage, roof rack, drop down queen bed, couch, full dinette, big tanks, built in generator, more interior space, dry bath, local dealers. The big negative we can't get past: poor thermal performance. With the all aluminum construction they apparently get very hot/cold easily, especially radiating through the rear ramp door. Definitely not 4 season. However, if you plan to stay in moderate temperatures, or with full hookups/running the genny in the extremes, they look very nice and we consider them a close second to an Ollie. If you prioritize hauling gear/interior comforts over travel/4 seasons I'd consider the ATC the winner over Oliver. 

I would like to double tow my trailer with a golf cart, or a UTV just to be able to have it to run around the camping grounds. This could be a problem for some camping grounds, not sure of what the rules would be, I would think a golf cart would be more accepted over a UTV, as UTV's are fast and can tear-up the turf easily.  We have opted for e-Bikes which can be ridden anywhere a bicycle can be ridden, never been questioned by park officials, only campers wanting to know about them. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.