Fiberglass slivers

VBistro

Today while winterizing, @MarkVgot a nasty little sliver from the exposed fiberglass edge. Has anyone come up with a clean, simple way to “finish” these edges?  My first thought was to use some white electrical tape. 

thanks!

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators

That's not fun, Mary beth. Which edge? The one under the bed? Where it can't be seen? White duct tape would be my choice there. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

25 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

That's not fun, Mary beth. Which edge? The one under the bed? Where it can't be seen? White duct tape would be my choice there. 

The one under the bed.  Though I have also noticed pretty rough edges around the openings to the cabinets above the bed.  

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

While building boats, I have successfully sealed the edges of fibreglass using a laminating epoxy such as West or System Three.  It is tedius but can be done effectively.  It helps to seal an edge, let it cure and then give it a light sanding before re-coating.  Mask well and remove the masking tape immediately after sealing in order to  clean up any uncured epoxy which may have wicked behind the tape.  If you fail to do this before the epoxy cures the tape will be epoxied to the glass.

You can color the epoxy to match the epoxy resin if you desire.  The whole process is time consuming and, as I said, tedious.

• Like 1

Search for fiberglass casting tape. It’s a medical product, but it’s a great repair item to have around. Cut a piece the length you need, wet it, and the impregnated resin will activate. Then just fold it over the edge of what you want covered and it should stick. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I can't remember but I think it was on the Oliver Owners Facebook page that someone posted that they used this edge trim from Amazon on the fiberglass edges of the uppder storage compartments.  I marked the product on my Amazon save-for-later as I have thought about it.  It's black so it would only make sense if you have the black cabinet faces I think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL4C97O/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A339EJ58RW9U9H&psc=1

If anybody has done something like this, I'd love to see some photos...

2020 LEII, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

Some 80 grit Wet or Dry sandpaper works fine, just be careful not to scratch the nearby shiny gelcoat. I wear gloves when I do it to finish off a cut hole. Those slivers are indeed glass, they are transparent and  can be really difficult to see and extract. Ouch!

Be sure to vacuum up any debris afterwards.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.