Central Texas to Grand Tetons/ Yellowstone

Ralph Mawyer

(Not sure if right topic, but...)

I'm leading a two trailer trip, with a couple of friends that have a 23ft Airstream. Mid-May departure. I'm usually solo, so know this will be slower/shorter days.

Tentatively looking at 3-4 days in transit, we're leaving from San Antonio making time to the Grand Tetons or a bit south and then slow down a bit.  At this point, looks like we'll go to the panhandle (Palo Duro Canyon most likely), then through Denver somehow, heading west after that on I-80 to Rock Springs then north to Grand Tetons.

I've done Denver trips a lot of ways, but not needing campsites.   I'm thinking about heading north from Palo Duro and catching I-70 east of Denver, then bypassing it to via the NW loop around the city. I've never done that route, as we usually go up via Raton Pass and north.

So, all that said, we can either camp south (Pueblo?) of Denver, east (?) of Denver, or push through to somewhere north of Denver, maybe Loveland or Ft. Collins.  Anyone done anything east or north of Denver that isn't too far off the Interstate?  I've been looking at Compendium, and other apps, but thought I'd see what the hive mind here might suggest.

Day 1 - SAT- Canyon/Palo Duro/Amarillo Texas

Day 2 - TBD (East of Denver or Ft. Collins area?)

Day 3 - TBD - (Either off I 80 somewhere or push up Rock Springs to Boulder/Pinedale WY

Day 4 - Arrive Grand Tetons

• Thanks 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

I've got nothing for you on days 1 & 2 but for day three you might look into the Rock Springs Sweetwater Events Complex for overnight camping.  If interested, call or email them prior to leaving to make sure that the first come first served camping area is available for the night(s) you will be there since sometimes a particular event will take most if not all the spaces.

Also, if you like donuts as much as I do - don't miss Cowboy Donuts in Rock Springs.  Its easy to get to off the Interstate and there is plenty of easy RV parking there.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"