Is there a decent option for Satellite Internet for streaming?

AlbertNTerri

• 3 weeks later...

Albert, not sure about satellite internet. We will be storing our Ollie in East Texas. We currently have internet service with our local telephone provider ( it sucks, can’t receive or send emails while watching Netflix , they call it broadband service 4.8 up and 1.02 down ). Currently our only other option is Starlink,  on waiting list they say mid 2022, Hopefully by then they may have the Starlink mobile service . 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

All being said for us as we are not full timers, or even camping once a month on the average, we have found that any type of internet service, or satellite service is just not worth the expense to pretty much not get good service. If we can't get cell service where we are at and use the iPhone for Hot Spot, or get good TV reception over the air we just don't feel a need for it. I know many who are not connected feel lost, we personally enjoy it at times, do you know there is another life out there besides being connected.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

1 hour ago, Trainman said:

I know many who are not connected feel lost, we personally enjoy it at times,

I agree that it's nice to be out in the world and not connected.  Gives you a chance to truly relax.   But I also realize how easy the internet makes research and planning during a long trip.  Also, last summer we were in the Black Hills and had to leave early due to a family emergency back home.  It was dicey getting information as to what was going on.  Glad for the cellular boost because without it we would not have had communication with home.   

It will be interesting to see what Starlink does going forward.  I think many of us would invest in the hardware if it meant that we could take our internet connection on the road.  Also makes me wonder if having hardware installed in the trailer is the right call.  If tech is changing this fast maybe a portable solution is better.  Easier to change when the technology does. 

Scotty 

• Like 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

3 hours ago, ScottyGS said:

Also, last summer we were in the Black Hills and had to leave early due to a family emergency back home.  It was dicey getting information as to what was going on.

I've found my Garmin inReach to be super useful for written communications with home etc. when beyond cell signals. It's a good backstop and of course also offers SOS style communication to emergency agencies should something bad happen to me/us. It's of course more tedious than a phone call but when I pair the Garmin with my phone I find the text input to be acceptably convenient.

I've found, when in places with sketchy or no reception such as big areas of southern UT or out along the more remote parts of the WA coast, that I can still get enough planning done in those moments when I DO have reception, though it does take a bit of thinking ahead. With a cell coverage app I can pretty well predict when I'll be entering a signal-free zone. I get that my strategy won't work for folks who have to work while on the road but I don't have to do that in general and I actually find it kind of liberating to get beyond the reach of most electronic tethers. While I mostly appreciate the march of technological progress (and I spent a career helping that march along...), I would be perfectly happy if it takes a long time for Starlink or anything similar to provide mobile internet everywhere you want to use it. In the meantime, I will use this thread as a reminder to get out and enjoy such places before the "digital nomads" arrive in droves. In the meantime, there are PLENTY of places where they can go and get their work-on-the-road done across our public lands.

• Like 4

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

2 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

it does take a bit of thinking ahead.......

Jim!   I need the internet because I refuse to think ahead!     :classic_laugh:    Only joking...    I would rather have and choose not to use connectivity ... but also realize that not everyone can do that.  Those dopamine hits keep us coming back to the magic rectangle.  And... that will change how things go when we do get away from it all.   

I wonder what other new tech will cause things to change ... ?   for the better or worse.  Certainly with battery tech improving.. more folks will feel comfortable camping "off grid".  I would hate to see BLM land become like the most crowded RV parks.  But I bet we'll see more impact.     Hopefully not too much, too soon. 

Happy Camping!

Scotty

• Like 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg