Android or Carplay - stream your phone’s nav program? How well does it work?

John E Davies

I have been using an iPad Mini 4 for most of my navigating, using GAIA and Pocket Earth Pro. It works great, but I sure would like to stream the data to a Carplay display. Unfortunately Apple has some kind of weird licensing restriction, my iPhone will connect, but the tablet will not. No big deal you say? Here are two screen captures, centered on the same location and zoomed to the same scale. Here is the iPhone:

C94E939E-418E-4913-BC5B-6E5AB665FE48.thumb.jpeg.80dea057925083a9eb5c84457f00a6c0.jpeg

Here is the iPad:

75BDDCF8-47A1-4CCF-8D94-EA84CD67DB2C.thumb.jpeg.311194a1590ffcaace12a20c563babfe.jpeg

Ignore the route and waypoints on the lower image, but you can see that it shows about three times as much area. So, does anyone that streams maps from a phone have a comment? Do you find the info adequate? I love Apple products, but this iPad restriction steams me up.

BTW my LC200 doesn’t have Carplay, we just bought a new 2022 Acura RDX PMC edition, and it does have it. That will be our daily driver in fair weather, and I would really like to be able to use my phone to navigate  with its Carplay interface. My wife won’t let me install a RAM iPad hard mount in her new car… I might end up trying this: https://www.rammount.com/product-lines/tough-wedge instead.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I use CarPlay in my truck.  If I understand what you're asking, I don't think that carplaying from the iPhone vs iPad would make any difference at all to what you see on your vehicle's screen.  The display isn't mirrored, but reconfigured for your car.  On my truck, I see much more map than on the phone itself.  That's not to say that you'll get all the info and options that you have on your iPad, but the same would likely be true even if carplaying from that iPad.  All that would depend of course on how the developer designed the app, what they decide to show you, etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I use CarPlay in my truck as well.  On the Ram 12” screen half is dedicated to CarPlay. Like Overland, the map on the screen is different than what is on the phone, so I agree that it probably wouldn’t make a difference if the image came from an iPhone or an iPad mini.  The display on your iPad is a lot better than the phone!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mike, is that half & half arrangement an option or just the way Ram does it?  On my truck, CarPlay takes over the whole screen, and the Ford software is shown as an app that I can tap and it takes me back out to Ford's software.  I don't think that I have an option to have both at once, which I have to say would be nice, since it can be a pain to exit CarPlay just to do one thing and then drill back in to whatever app I was using.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Overland said:

Mike, is that half & half arrangement an option or just the way Ram does it? 

That’s the way they do it.  I have it set for the top half to be CarPlay and the bottom half for media.  Sometimes I wish I could use the whole screen for CarPlay but can’t.  I can use the whole screen for media, factory GPS (worthless) or any other native Ram function.  It’s easy enough to switch the bottom half from media to controls, apps, cameras, etc with just one touch, so that is nice.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I use both Apple Carplay and Andriod Auto (work phone and personal phone) in my 2021 Silverado with tech package.  Both work very well.  The GM trucks have only an 8" screen but it's filled with the map except for a small strip down the side for icons to change apps.  The zoom function works to see more or less geography in view.  I have Gaia Map App subscription as well and it works through Apple Carplay but I haven't found much need for it yet.  Google maps works for me and the key is to download my map area to the phone so I'm not relying on cell connection 

• Like 3

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

• Moderators
9 hours ago, tallmandan said:

the key is to download my map area to the phone so I'm not relying on cell connection 

Yep - that's the key.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"