Angel's Landing

topgun2

• Moderators

In case anyone missed it -

It has been announced that starting in 2022 a permit will be needed to hike the famous trail up to Angel's Landing in Zion.  Apparently the permits will be issued via a lottery system on Recreation.gov.  A fee of $6.00 will be required to apply to the lottery and then if the applicant is successful there will be an additional $3.00 fee.

The idea is that this lottery system will reduce traffic on the trail and crowding at the top (Angel's Landing).

If heights don't bother you (too much) and you are in fairly good shape - it is a reasonable climb along most of the trail - then it is something that you should try to fit into your plans.  However, now you will have to plan a bit earlier in order to get one of those permits.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Well I definitely understand.  When we went up several years ago, we left camp when it was still dark to try to beat the heat and crowds.  We did beat the heat, but I was surprised at the number of people that early - we often have places like that to ourselves if we're early birds.  I hate that they have to do it, but it is what it is, and a lottery is definitely more fair than just opening up slots since those seem to get taken suspiciously fast. It sucks for our type of travel, since we rarely plan out much more than our first few stops.  

I think they could cut down the crowds significantly by just having a ranger posted at the trailhead, stopping people who don't have proper shoes, carrying their dogs, etc.  We saw it all.  One woman in heels, believe it or not.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I hate heights!!  Even though I used to jump out of perfectly good aircraft for a living once upon a time.  Those climbs can be exhilarating and I would do it in a hearbeat.  Zion is the only park we haven’t been to in southern Utah.  I’m thinking we might go in January when we’re in AZ unless it’s too cold.  I checked the campgrounds and there are plenty of spots available.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Overland said:

I’d say just don’t stand close to the edge, but Angel’s Landing is, in fact, all edge. 😛

Kind of like driving highway 550 down to Durango?  I stood in the open door of a C-130 at 1200 feet more than once before making an exit.  I still hate heights!  Mike

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

5 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Kind of like driving highway 550 down to Durango?  I stood in the open door of a C-130 at 1200 feet more than once before making an exit.  I still hate heights!  Mike

1200 feet?  Did you just bunji cord down? 😉

• Haha 2

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

21 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Zion is the only park we haven’t been to in southern Utah.  I’m thinking we might go in January when we’re in AZ unless it’s too cold.  I checked the campgrounds and there are plenty of spots available.  Mike

I have been to Zion 3 times.  It is my favorite national park.  Plan to spend at least 2-3 days, if you can.   Hiking is the best part of the experience, IMHO.

It is at about 4000', so it will likely be full of snow in January, which makes hiking not only cold, but dangerous.  That is why the campgrounds are empty.  I recommend you monitor the weather, and make the drive from Arizona only if there is a "January thaw" that would enable safe hiking.  Otherwise, enjoy what low-elevation southern Arizona has to offer that time of year!

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

It is at about 4000', so it will likely be full of snow in January, which makes hiking not only cold, but dangerous.  That is why the campgrounds are empty.  I recommend you monitor the weather, and make the drive from Arizona only if there is a "January thaw" that would enable safe hiking.  Otherwise, enjoy what low-elevation southern Arizona has to offer that time of year!

That’s the plan!  We’ve been going to AZ every January for a number of years and ventured up to NV one year, southern CO one year and southern Utah one year.

We were visiting Napa a few years ago at the end of January/early February.  On the way home, we headed south and camped at a COE campground about 45 minutes from Yosemite.  There was a warm front in the area and we headed over to Yosemite only to find it nearly empty except for the Rangers.  Temps were mid 60s and dry weather, no snow.  We basically had the park to ourselves.  After we left the snow came and the temps dropped severely.   Flexibility is key!  Mike

82D910EE-4EA5-46C7-8A3E-7BB23ACA2E45.jpeg

• Like 2