? for those with factory lithium pkg.

We wouid like to leave the lithium batteries in the trailer during the winter so we have an option to leave on short notice if we wish. I understand they can be stored in cold weather with the following limitations: no charging below freezing, no discharging below -4 F, no storage below -14 F. The temperature here in CT rarely drops to -14, but it can. How could I keep those batteries warm in the event we had a severe cold snap? Aren't there factory-installed heating pads below the batteries? Could I turn the batteries back on and run the heating pads while connected to shore power?  I have 15 amp shore power available where the trailer is parked.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

During the winter I have kept a small electric heater running in the cabin of my sailboat for the last 35 years.  It tends to get wet and cold on the coast of Washington and a heater kept on low heat will help dry the air and keep the mustiness out of cabin and lockers.  It is also important to have some outsinde air venting through the cabin.

I have given some thought to permanently installing a very small, wall mounted electric heater in our new Legacy II but have not gone anywhere with that.  Anyone explored that option?

3 minutes ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

During the winter I have kept a small electric heater running in the cabin of my sailboat for the last 35 years. 

I thought about that. Have done it in previous RVs during cold snaps before the water lines were winterized. But, isn't the battery compartment isolated from the interior cabin air?

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Steph & Dud,

It is but the Cabin envelopes the battery box except on one side and any heat within the cabin will warm the battery box.  This is not total protection but does give you a buffer. Outside temp here in Port Townsend, WA  is now 40 degrees (at noon) but the batterys are showing at 54 degrees - this with a small space heater set on it's lowest fan / heat setting.  Blocking off air flow from the outside of the battery box and insulating the exterior door will offer additional protection for Lithiums.  I would not block off outside air from a wet cell.

If one were to mount a permanent heater with ducts into the space between the hulls as well as the interior of the cabin, this would give you a great deal of protection.  Just thinking out loud here.

• Thanks 1