Towing with 2016 Ford F-150 v8 Lariat with tow package

We are scheduled to pick up our LEII sometime early March (barring any unforeseen supply delays) šŸ˜„ and have been reading here various postings from folks that have actually pulled the LEII. Although this is our first Ā RV venture , I have been pulling a 20ā€™ trailer with tractors, forklifts , boat and other heavier equipment with no swaying or other problems whatsoever using a Curt 45900 hitch. I have been using the truck leveling ā€œ bubbleā€ screen successfully and adjust the hitch height accordingly.

Any towing recommendations/suggestions , doā€™s and dontā€™s, anything else that I will need on delivery date , to a newbie will be very much appreciated .

Ā 

• Moderators

Nick, it would be helpful to know what you will be towing with. Ā I towed my LEII with at Tacoma, two half tons and now a 3/4 ton. Ā All were different, each with different considerations. Ā In general, Olivers are very well behaved. Ā Iā€™ve never experienced any sway with any of my trucks, even in wind being passed by big 18 wheelers. Ā Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill CountryĀ | 2016 Elite IIĀ #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hi Nick, there are many here with much more experience and knowledge than me but, for what it's worth, I'll share my experience.Ā  I was lucky enough to find a used 2020 LEII a year ago.Ā  I bought a 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0 diesel to tow it.Ā  Ā The consensus is that a 3/4 ton truck is "best" but your V8 F-150 will do just fine.Ā  As Mike said, the Oliver tows very well.Ā  That said, I always use the Anderson WD hitch.Ā  You mention a Curt hitch but don't know if you are getting the Anderson when you pick-up but I think this is a must with your F-150.Ā  I towed mine about 2k miles this season and always felt comfortable.Ā  The 7 foot width of the Oliver is also a plus when it comes to towing -- especially when you find yourself navigating through freeway road construction with concrete barriers tight to each side!Ā  We've loved our Ollie so far and you will too.

Ā 

2020 LEII, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax 4x4

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

• Moderators

If you are towing with a Ford F-150 then you will be required (by Ford) to use a weight distribution hitch - this same requirement is in place for all other manufacturers of 1/2 ton trucks.Ā  Unless you are prepared to do a fair amount of modification to your Oliver, you will need to use the Andersen - the only one of these types of hitches that is compatible with the Oliver.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I will add to the sage advice given - look at your truck's payload rating posted on the truck b pillar (may be on the door). That will be one of your limiting factors. WDH required to be legal and safe - my guess after a few long trips you will be looking for more TV. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Cindy,Ā  Russell andĀ  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 DuramaxĀ 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thank you all for your comments. I did check with my Ford dealer this morning and he confirmed that Ford requires the WD hitch for my model truck. Reading all the available posts that I found it is my understanding that the Andersen system is the most desirable for the Elite II. I believe that I have all the info/specs that I need selecting the correct WD hitch with the exception of theĀ Bracket sizeĀ and so far I have been unable to find what I am looking for. I am looking for theĀ 

AĀ vertical width width of Elite II trailer frame at the frontĀ 

BĀ height from the ground to the TOP of the trailer frame

if anyone can help providing this info will be great and time saver for me.

Ā 

• Moderators

Nick & Linda -Ā 

I saw your post above earlier this morning but thought that someone here would chime in if they understood exactly what you were asking or trying to do because certainly I do not.

I assume that you already know that the Oliver comes with a Bulldog hitch when delivery is made.Ā  The standard hitch comes set up for a 2 inch ball but (for extra coin) you can "upgrade" to a 2 5/16 ball.Ā Ā 

When setting up your tow vehicle prior to delivery the distance from level ground to the top of your tow ball should be about 23 1/2 inches.

I apologize if this information is no where near what you were trying to ask.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If you are purchasing a new trailer have you considered getting the Andersen hitch from Oliver.Ā  Most folks that I am aware of have purchased the hitch with their trailer.Ā  Oliver installed ours and also fit it to our Tundra.Ā  This included adjustments for height an proper tension.Ā  This was part of our delivery.Ā  Enjoy your new Ollie.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mattnan said:

If you are purchasing a new trailer have you considered getting the Andersen hitch from Oliver.Ā  Most folks that I am aware of have purchased the hitch with their trailer.Ā  Oliver installed ours and also fit it to our Tundra.Ā  This included adjustments for height an proper tension.Ā  This was part of our delivery.Ā  Enjoy your new Ollie.

I agree on letting Oliver install it for you unless you can snag a cheap used one.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Duh!

Got it now.

I'd get those measurements for you but my Oliver is in "off-site" storage for the winter.

Another way of getting it is to contact Oliver Service - call or use a service ticket - and they can tell you what they install.Ā  Note that in most applications for the Oliver you will need chain extensions.Ā  You could also contact Andersen and ask them which setup is required for the Oliver.

Good Luck!

Bill

BTW I also tow with a 2018 V8 F150 SCREW 4WD with a "tow package". I added the stock Ford trailer brake controller (max tow package !). You'll need this or an aftermarket TBC if your tow package doesn't include it. I have no problem with payload (1960 lbs), power, etc. I get 22+ mpg as my daily driver without trailer. With the trailer I get ~ 13/14 mpg in rolling piedmont foothills type topography. It drops to ~ 10/11 mpg in mountains of Vermont/New Hampshire, etc. So your gas tank capacity may be a consideration. I have passengers that have less capacity than my gas tank!

• Like 5

Thank you all for your kind assistance and advice. I now have what I need.

My truck does have the trailer brake controller and works great for my towing needs - so far. As Steve CR pointed out my fuel tank capacity is 23 gallons and expect to get an around 13mpg. I plan to have a 6 gal low profile flat bottom fuel tank with me just in case for emergencies. Donā€™t know if I can add an additional fuel tank on my truck but I will check this out after my first trip.

4 hours ago, Nick and Linda Stratigakis said:

Thank you all for your kind assistance and advice. I now have what I need.

Ā 

I have been following this thread because, like you, I plan to buy an Andersen WD hitch and install it myself after we accept delivery of our Elite II next summer.Ā  My conclusion from the measurements provided by SteveCr is that Andersen model #3324, for 3,4,5,6" high trailer frames, is the right one if you need 4" drop/rise with a 2" ball.Ā  If you want a 2-5/16" ball, then #3350 is the correct model number.

Do you concur?

Ā 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:Ā  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Absolutely agree for the Andersen model # 3324. Ā This is exactly what I need and I may want to upgrade to a 2-5/16 ball if I do not have a problem with the tailgate.
I read somewhere in the various posts that there may be an issue lowering the tail gate all the way and I canā€™t remember but someone suggested using an extension. Donā€™t know if this will become an issue.

As far as the mileage is concerned with the F150 I regularly tow my 20 trailer with a 5000 lbs farm tractor or a 5000 lbs lifting capacity forklift at an average of 14 MPG. Granted not long distances, around 150-180 miles . We will see how it works out for me on first trip.

I keep a "collar lock" around the bulldog whether hitched or unhitched. My F150 tailgate opens almost flat but does rest in contact with the hitch & lock. I place a thick throw rug in between and have suffered no damage so far. I do most of the truck bed loading and unloading unhitched, but I have put my full weight on the tailgate without issue. I would not jump up and down though!!!