Difference between new Ollie and a 2017 Elite II

robrien24

• Moderators

Wow - in giving this request some quick thought, there are a bunch of changes and depending on what the current owner of the 2017 may have done or ordered originally any or all of these just might be incorrect.

2017 was the year that Oliver started installing the EZ Flex suspension so depending on when the 2017 you're looking at was built, it may have come with that suspension.

2017 or 2018 was when Oliver changed the solar controller (I think).

The "touch" lights on the interior were not introduced until 2020.

The interior surge protector was not standard in 2017.

Placement and the number of 110 outlets are different in the current model as are the number of cloths hooks (I believe that in 2017 there was still only one cloths hook placed outside the bath door.

The kitchen sink is larger in the current model but (I believe) the top left drawer is only now a "sponge" drawer.

I don't remember when the size of the air conditioner was changed.  Or when the window shades went from off-white to pure white.  And around the 2017 time the TV was moved from the rear curbside corner to the center rear bottom of the attic.

Hopefully others will chime in with things I've forgotten.

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I think the Zamp charge controller started at the first of 2017, as well as the larger sink with sponge drawer.

Mid year, they changed the blinds to white and fixed the fresh water pickup tube. The EZ flex suspension was an option that year. The AC will definitely be the larger one.

Apart from what Bill mentioned:

The cooktop will have a different grate and it’s orientation was an option.

The bath sink may have the old style faucet with the trickle valve.

The convection microwave came later, and it was as option to delete the microwave back then for an additional storage cabinet.

Exterior propane connections were options.

There were more and different choices for interior finishes and the upper cabinet door material.  Also many more choices for graphics colors.

The interior latches for the uppers were different (better).

The drawers didn’t have the stay closed hardware.

Early 2017’s will have Fiamma awnings and the later ones will have Carefree, both manual.

There were two furnaces to chose from, Atwood and Suburban; and the Truma and composting toilet were new options.

Pretty much all the electronics - antennas, cell booster, etc. - were options, and they’ll surely be older models than what you’d get today.

The backup camera, reading lights, and EZ start for the AC were all options.

Battery choices were wet cell and AGM only.

I seem to remember an option for a black tank macerator back then, and also one for an induction cooktop, but I don’t recall anyone with either.

The mattress choices would have been different.

The optional bike rack at the time was the big square one.

That was before they started standardizing things as well, so you might find some factory customizations, including deleted items. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Let's add another "possibility" - the spare tire rim went from 15 inches to 16 inches in late 2017 or 2018?

My 2016 has a form of stay close hardware - magnets at the rear of the drawers.  However, it was because these magnets were not strong enough to prevent drawers filled with cast iron cookware from coming open that they were modified 😉.

The convection oven came much later 2019 or 2020.

Mirrored cabinet doors were the standard with white and black as options - I don't think that the frosted was available until 2018 but could be wrong.

I believe that the macerator was an option but you had to know to ask for it.

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hull #211 (2017 model [April pickup] ordered in Nov 2016 had a full size spare. My spare tire and rim matched the other 4 Michelins, at my insistence, as they were using up the last of the Goodyear tires with rims. Think the prior rims were different too. My upper cabinet doors are frosted by choice, with black and mirrored as options. My tv is mounted on the curbside, as they had not yet gotten permission from RVAC(?) to potentially block the escape hatch window. (If I drop shipped a mount and tv they would have centrally installed). My drawers are self closing, but will open on bumpy roads. (Retro fitted with a thin bungee after). The manual awning works just great, one less thing to go wrong. Keyed lock, as the keyless were having to be drilled out occasionally. Guess they must be a lot better now as haven't heard lately any problems. 

• Like 4

I know that by the time I picked up my trailer that they had jigs for making up wiring harnesses, but that was late 2017 so it could have been another change that they made during the year. I think late 16 and early 17 were big learning years for them as they added a second production line and worked on their efficiency due to a big jump in demand (hi, Buzzy!). 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Moderators

For all the relative newer members out there - 

Buzzy is/was a much loved owner of an Elite II that did a series of YouTube videos at a time when there was no Oliver University nor virtually (almost) anything out there on the internet about the Oliver campers.  Unfortunately due to a number of things those videos are no longer available.

Hopefully Buzzy will see this and get a chuckle.

Bill

• Like 3

• Moderators

I, too, miss @Buzzy.

I think all of you have given some great comparisons to look at. 

Beyond what you've mentioned,  I'd note that the 2022 trailers will have the nevr lube axles, if that's important. 

If the 2017 has solar, it may be 320 watts vs 340, not a big deal. And, that earlier solar package will likely have a progressive dynamics charger/converter,  plus a separate inverter, plus a separate transfer switch.  New models will have the more fully featured, lighter xantrex xcpro. Whether that's a bonus, or a big deal, is truly debatable, based again on personal preference. We prefer separate pieces of equipment,  many times.  Others like an all in one. It's mostly personal preference,  and what you're used to. And, it's a lot easier to stomach swapping electronics on older equipment than new, if you decide to update to lithium.

I think the things that are expensive, and difficult to change, are most important.  I'd say, axle, wiring harness, space for full sized spare, space for convection microwave (if that's your preference,  not ours) might be important factors. And, the pickup tube refit, if not retrofitted. (Free, but only if you go to Hohenwald for service.)

The rest can be fairly inconsequential,  imo. Any buyer of a 2017 will surely realize the appliances and electronics are now 4 to 5 years old. And, batteries and tires. All those things can add up, eventually. Maybe later than sooner. Maybe sooner than later. 

Personally,  I'd consider manual awnings to be a plus, but that's what we like, so, again, a personal choice.

The majority of our appliances lasted ten years or more, and some we replaced by preference.  Tires and batteries,  well, that's another story. Add 4 tires, at least, to the purchase price, for safety.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I thought about posting this question some time ago. What was the best year trailer that Oliver produced?  This is a good post for this discussion.  If you look back at options that where available. Upgraded options that Oliver made standard. Suspension etc. and all the items all of the above members  mentioned. Interior extra 110 outlets etc. not to mention the last year before special requests on upgrades before Oliver went to package items.  My guess would be the 2019 model year in my opinion. There have been a lot of changes that I followed all for the good to make Oliver one of the best mfgs out there and they will only get even better over time. 

• Like 3

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Our is a 2020 (#676) and I am glad we were able to individually select options, rather than choosing packages.  I'm also glad we were able to select colors/graphics.  We did not have the lithium option, however.

• Like 2

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Landrover said:

What was the best year trailer that Oliver produced?  

2008. Because, it was the beginning. (And coincidentally,  my trailer 😄)

Every year is good,  imo. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Overland said:

Something else I thought of - didn’t Oliver switch insulation type and thickness for the 2020 models?  

That's interesting.  I don't think I've seen anything about that before. Do you know what they're using, now?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 2019 Elite II and as far as I can see there are very little difference for many years, both before and after our 2019 model. As Oliver does include a wiring harness that allows you to add features later if you wanted them.  We did not add any upgrades for electronic, battery power, or solar equipment, mainly because we do not need, or use it. I will say here that when we sell or trailer the new buyer can take it to Oliver and have any new upgrades installed they may want, plus as electronics improve all the time they can get the newer stuff and not be purchasing older outdated equipment. What is the value of used outdated electronics in todays market, not much.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.