Upcoming cellular 3G shutdown will affect a lot of older cars and trucks.

John E Davies

Which cars will be left in the dust by next year’s 3G shutdown? Smartphones are getting faster, but some older cars may lose service forever.

My LC200 is affected, but I have never even used any of those features, having bought it used. My brand new 2022 Acura is not on the list, but if I had bought a new 2021 car it would have required a wireless update to keep it operating. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

That article doesn’t list Ford models, but per the links below, if your truck has FordPass Connect (or Sync Connect), then it has a 4g modem and shouldn’t be affected. Looks like that’s 2017 and newer.  For models as far back as 2010, Ford sells a module that will upgrade the truck to 4g (and also add a vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot).

What is FordPass Connect

How to tell if your Ford has Sync Connect

Upgrade your Ford to 4g

• Thanks 1

GM has a site here: https://www.onstar.com/us/en/support/3g-network-shutdown where you can enter your VIN to check the impact on your vehicle. Scroll down to Which GM vehicles are impacted by the 3G network sunset? and follow the link provided there.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg