Propane Tank Mod - Installation of GasStop Valves

VBistro

Having read endless discussions here about whether or not people travel with their fridges on propane, @MarkV and I decided to install GasStop Propane Shut-off Valves.  Most of the time, we travel with the fridge off, if the trip is short enough, or with dry ice if we have access to some for a longer trip.  On our Ollie, we opted for the Lithium Platinum Package, and based on preliminary results, feel relatively confident that we can occasionally travel with the fridge on DC, especially if the sun is shining and we aren’t in transit between two long-term boondocking sites.

That said, we took the “better safe than sorry” approach and installed the GasStops just in case we find ourselves in need of traveling with the propane on.  It gives us peace of mind.

The first thing we noticed when we took the tank covers off is that even on the stock install, the propane hoses between tank and regulator have a pretty severe S curve to them.  Noting that these curves aren’t great for hose longevity (another safety concern), we decided to install new street elbow fittings that essentially change the angle of entry of the hose into the regulator by 90degrees, and eliminating one of the bends in the S. We likely would have done this whether or not installing the Gas Stop valves.

The install of the street elbow fitting was pretty easy, once @John E Davies  cleared up some major confusion on my part. The confusion stemmed from the fact that the current fitting at the regulator has a plastic insert in it.  According to John, this is a one-way check valve that allows the automatic propane switchover system to work properly. This straight fitting with the check valve is put in-line with the new elbow fitting so you don’t lose its functionality.

Equipment needed:
1) 2 GasStop Propane Shut-off Valves
2) ¼” NPT BRASS Street Elbows  (double-check the size of your particular fitting)
3) Pipe Thread Sealant (specifically formulated for gasses)

Method
Detach propane hose from the ¼” straight NPT fitting at the regulator (A) 
Remove the straight ¼” fitting at the low pressure regulator (B)
Remove the ACME connection at the propane tank (C)
Clean as much old pipe thread sealant as you can from both the regulator side and the hose side, being careful not to let any shavings enter the regulator
Apply thread sealant to the male end of the new elbow fitting and install it at the low pressure regulator
Apply thread sealant to the old fitting’s male end and screw it onto the street elbow.
Re-attach Acme fitting to propane tank
Let sealant cure for 24 hours
Pressurize system and leak test!

I’m sure that if I missed a step or got anything wrong, John will chime in.  (Thanks, John!)

Photo courtesy of John Davies:

IMG-1312.jpg

• Like 5

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators

Note that if your original propane hoses are showing some age or if you would rather not deal with the elbows there are THESE HOSES available.  I installed the 12 inch hoses and they work well.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Looks nice, and a little extra safety is never a bad thing.

Not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind is that the 75k btu limit on the gas stop could be triggered if you’re using a portable firepit (60k btu) and the furnace (20k) at the same time.  Also I’m not certain of a generator’s consumption, but a number of people have modified theirs for LP so they’d probably want to check just to make sure they won’t trigger the valve.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Note that if your original propane hoses are showing some age or if you would rather not deal with the elbows there are THESE HOSES available.  I installed the 12 inch hoses and they work well.

Bill

I bought these 12" hoses to use when I installed the new valves, but they were much too long, and I would have had to install the street elbow to use them anyway.  

• Like 3

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Looks nice, and a little extra safety is never a bad thing.

Not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind is that the 75k btu limit on the gas stop could be triggered if you’re using a portable firepit (60k btu) and the furnace (20k) at the same time.  Also I’m not certain of a generator’s consumption, but a number of people have modified theirs for LP so they’d probably want to check just to make sure they won’t trigger the valve.

I had read that before...thanks for the reminder and I will keep that in mind -- if we're outside with the fire pit, we'll be sure to turn the furnace off!  

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Given the necessary 90-degree relationship between the two tank valve outlets and the two regulator inlets, I wonder why Oliver doesn't use 90-degree hoses for factory installations, instead of installing straight hoses with a severe S-bend?  The cost differential can't be more than a few $$ per hose, and installation should be easier, saving some labor time.  Has anyone suggested this to Oliver?

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

1 hour ago, VBistro said:

I had read that before...thanks for the reminder and I will keep that in mind -- if we're outside with the fire pit, we'll be sure to turn the furnace off!  

Well, IMHO I wouldn't do that routinely, rather be aware that if your pit ever extinguishes itself with a "POP", you should realize that the gas valve was triggered, and from that point you should shut down the furnace when cooking outside. But in reality it may never happen at all. Cross that bridge when you come to it....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, Overland said:

Oh, water heater, too - I just looked up the Truma and it can pull as much as 60k btu.  No idea about the standard tank, though I assume it’s a good bit less. 

I checked.  I think the Suburban is just around 12k.  Phew!  🙂

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know where to get a replacement for that Check Valve fitting? I can’t get that separated from the hose to save my life! Trying to adapt these instructions to the tighter confines of the LE I nose and need to put in the 90 degree hoses to make the Gas Stops fit inside the box.

Edit - Here is the part I found on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Camco 59954 1/4" Male NPT x 1/4" Female Propane Fitting Inverted Flare with Check Valve : Automotive

Edited by DunnYet
Found the part

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Original and still available Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "
Reset"
Home Base Duncanville, TX

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

On 12/14/2021 at 9:36 PM, VBistro said:

Detach propane hose from the ¼” straight NPT fitting at the regulator (A) 
Remove the straight ¼” fitting at the low pressure regulator (B)

Thanks, V Bistro!  I thought I was sent the wrong size hoses.  However after replacing the first hose , it leaked around the hose by the Acme connector.  I replaced with the other hose I had been sent (package of 2) and the second hose leaked from the same area.  Will be sending back to amazon.  Be sure to leak check after replacing.  My original hose are back on and leak free.  Moral for me...don't fix if it ain't broke!

John

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/